Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
It's on a splined shaft so nice and tight is all that's needed so nut stays on and wheel doesn't pull off it's splined shaft. I've never torqued the nut on any of the '60's and forward vehicles I've had to pull a steering wheel off of.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,227 Posts
Hello guys,
Do you know the torque value needed to tighten the steering wheel bolt?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello guys,
Do you know the torque value needed to tighten the steering wheel bolt?
You MUST replace the bolt every time you untorque it. Its a stupid torque to yield single use fastener. Dont screw around with your steering if you dont do it right!!!

Anyhow, from manual:

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's on a splined shaft so nice and tight is all that's needed so nut stays on and wheel doesn't pull off it's splined shaft. I've never torqued the nut on any of the '60's and forward vehicles I've had to pull a steering wheel off of.
NO NO NO!!!! This is not an old school car. They dont do things "tight enough" anymore. See my post right before this one..... And for the record, it is NOT a nut....its a bolt, with a Torx+ female head in it, which you will need a correct T+ bit to remove properly

·
Registered
36 Posts
The thread is about a new model 2016 steering wheel.....sooooo...... :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,127 Posts
We have multiple reasons for asking for more info from those who post: 1) a reference to a 2016 Malibu can mean with a gen8 or gen9. Based on long experience, half the users here say 2016 Malibu but mean 2016 Malibu Limited which is a totally different car with a different powertrain and different body 2) me too posts in another user's discussion are sometimes a totally different car. Sooooooo take a deep breath and trust that we often have experience with these things. A little more info never hurt anyone anyway. It may very well be a gen9 car but we don't know that until it is confirmed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We have multiple reasons for asking for more info from those who post: 1) a reference to a 2016 Malibu can mean with a gen8 or gen9. Based on long experience, half the users here say 2016 Malibu but mean 2016 Malibu Limited which is a totally different car with a different powertrain and different body 2) me too posts in another user's discussion are sometimes a totally different car. Sooooooo take a deep breath and trust that we often have experience with these things. A little more info never hurt anyone anyway. It may very well be a gen9 car but we don't know that until it is confirmed.
You are the admin :)

But yeah, the 2016 two different model deal definitely can and does cause confusion with the uninformed. I just figured that the thread itself referencing the Gen9 style car was pretty obvious, but as they say....never assume LOL!

All good!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,227 Posts
You are the admin :)

But yeah, the 2016 two different model deal definitely can and does cause confusion with the uninformed. I just figured that the thread itself referencing the Gen9 style car was pretty obvious, but as they say....never assume LOL!

All good!
Minor correction, but it doesn't matter much, unless you're worried about the difference between a bolt and a nut. I'm the Admin, he's a Super Moderator. It's right under our avatar info. All of us are unpaid volunteers, too.

Anyway, as @campb292 mentioned, my request was to another member, not you, and they're new, so it was also to encourage them to learn to include that info going forward. We've successfully helped a number of members to improve their chances of a response, so it teaches me to keep asking. We've learned not to assume here and eventually you will, too. I've personally seen "me-too" posts that tack onto the end of a thread that never return ("One and Done"), or with a car that is a totally different vehicle. So we ask. That way, our members are sure to be able to offer advice that is directly related to their car, not just the OP's.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Spec on my '15 nut is 16 ft. lb. . I can well exceed that with one hand using 3 fingers.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts