Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Malibu 2.0T. I bought it used last year and currently have about 51K miles. Its been running fine and really haven't had issues with it until yesterday. I did not drive it all weekend and tried to start it Monday morning. It would not turn over and dashboard said battery low. I assumed it was factory battery so just went ahead and purchased a new one. Installation was easy. Car started up no problems but everything else did not start. Radio/Mylink is dead along with my park assist. I've looked at the fuses and did not see one that was burnt. My local chevy dealer charged me $100 for a 45 min diagnostic test just to tell me the radio is dead and they wanted to charge me for a new one. I don't believe its the radio. Am I missing something? Should I check something else? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
It's possible a surge got the radio. I would discon. the neg. cable from the battery, wait a hour and reconnect it quickly, not haphazardly making a zap - zap connect/disconnect connection. Sometimes a full power down will allow things to reset, just like rebooting your phone when it's acting weird. If that doesn't do it then dealer probably is correct.
Fuse should be verified with a meter or test light, visual doesn't always detect slight internal crack if the fuse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's possible a surge got the radio. I would discon. the neg. cable from the battery, wait a hour and reconnect it quickly, not haphazardly making a zap - zap connect/disconnect connection. Sometimes a full power down will allow things to reset, just like rebooting your phone when it's acting weird. If that doesn't do it then dealer probably is correct.
Fuse should be verified with a meter or test light, visual doesn't always detect slight internal crack if the fuse.
I'll give it a try. You are correct, my dealer did not find a short with any wires and confirmed the ground was good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That did not work. Let it sit an hour and tried it twice last night. First time got a small spark, second time no spark. I guess the odd thing for me to understand is how does the backup camera still work?

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Screen must be OK since camera works, issues in radio head unit. They share the screen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Contacted GM for some assistance, we’ll see what they can do. At this point, I’ll keep trying whatever. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update. I purchased a used radio with the same model # but got the same result, still no power but backup cam works. Contacted another dealer but it’s a little hard these days to get in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to update on my situation. I did get another opinion from a second dealer but same result, dead radio. I contacted the infotainment team and they thought it was the hmi module. They advised me to get one from eBay and see if anything comes up on the screen. Nothing happened and same result, no radio but camera still works. Chevy eventually returned my calls and will help cover some of the costs to get a new radio from my dealer. As of now, just waiting for new radio to come in

·
Registered
310 Posts
You tried a different radio unit already though, right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Over a month without a radio, but today the problem is fixed. I sent out both the HMI and ACM to the infotainment team and they found that the ACM was dead. Don’t know if that lead to the dead battery or the other way around. I decided to purchase a new one while they reprogrammed my HMI. Plugged them in today and I about cried, lol. Also, my park assist is fully functional again. I noticed the software was upgraded too and it looks better then what I had before.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Over a month without a radio, but today the problem is fixed. I sent out both the HMI and ACM to the infotainment team and they found that the ACM was dead. Don’t know if that lead to the dead battery or the other way around. I decided to purchase a new one while they reprogrammed my HMI. Plugged them in today and I about cried, lol. Also, my park assist is fully functional again. I noticed the software was upgraded too and it looks better then what I had before.
In what way does it look better just curious?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts