Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Malibu LS and it’s having a terrible brake issue , it’s making a groaning noise Almost everytime I hit the pedal almost like my ABS is kicking on and it’s the only thing stopping my car but sometimes my brakes work just fine when I’m at a high rate of speed and I brake , it’s not my brake pads cause there still 50% , my check engine like came on and told me that is was my brake booster pressure sensor , well I replaced that and it was still on and 2 weeks later it sent me codes saying that it’s was a stablilitrak and ABS and we replaced the ABS moduel but my actual light for the ABS isn’t on just the check engine light , and there was recalls for something similar in 2016 but my car wasn’t on the list . I’m just really not trying to go to a dealership cause I can not afford to pay for whatever is making this noise . If anyone has had a issue like this please help . For a back story of it , I was pulling out of my driveway when I put it in drive and turned the wheel I pushed to hard on the gas and my tires screeched and since then it’s been making the groaning noise

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it does it when I’m in drive and In reverse , it’s like my brakes aren’t getting the pressure they need . And it just feels like the ABS just keeps locking in

Some one said it might be my vacuum pump that’s connected to my engine

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,279 Posts
Can you record and share a video so we can get a better understanding of the groaning noise?

Where does it seem like it comes from, the front or back, the left or right, up high or down low?

When you say it feels like "the ABS just keeps locking in", do you feel a pulsing effect in the brake pedal, or does the car stop in an unusual manner when this happens?

I had a tire shop inspect my brakes when I heard a noise. They told me I still had 8-10 mm. A week later I was grinding metal-to-metal. The right front inner pad was doing all the work and the outer pad looked nearly new. After replacing them myself, I took the pads back to the shop and suggested that they re-learn how to inspect brakes. I share this with the intent of asking how were your brakes inspected and by whom?

The details appear to be:
  • Your brakes make a groaning noise only when applied, but not all the time.
  • The CEL showed a code for the brake booster sensor, and with a new sensor you now get a different code.
  • The new code suggests that Stabilitrak and ABS are an issue, and you replaced the ABS module.
What were the codes, if you can recall?

Have the car scanned again and share the codes you now get.

A code doesn't usually indicate a bad component, but rather that a certain system or circuit is not reporting within normal specs. It can be the wiring, a plug, one or more sensors, a component, or a combination of any of those.

It can also be something else that affects a system's operation and doesn't set a code. When my brakes were metal-to-metal, there were no codes or lights, just noises. One of the things that can be checked is whether there's a stone or pebble lodged in the brake pad, or if there's a dust shield or some kind of debris rubbing against something.

In short, you still have some work to do to figure it out, and there are other members on here who can help you way better than I can. The above is where I'd start on my own vehicle and then let the evidence lead me from there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2016 Malibu LS and it’s having a terrible brake issue , it’s making a groaning noise
I assume you checked that your brake fluid level is sufficient. That's because in my older GM car, when its power steering fluid level went low due to a leak, it also made a groaning noise when I used it. The more or harder I turned the steering wheel, the louder the groan. So maybe the brake pressure pump is having the same situation with the groaning when you use it and there isn't enough fluid?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2016 Malibu LS and it’s having a terrible brake issue , it’s making a groaning noise Almost everytime I hit the pedal almost like my ABS is kicking on and it’s the only thing stopping my car but sometimes my brakes work just fine when I’m at a high rate of speed and I brake , it’s not my brake pads cause there still 50% , my check engine like came on and told me that is was my brake booster pressure sensor , well I replaced that and it was still on and 2 weeks later it sent me codes saying that it’s was a stablilitrak and ABS and we replaced the ABS moduel but my actual light for the ABS isn’t on just the check engine light , and there was recalls for something similar in 2016 but my car wasn’t on the list . I’m just really not trying to go to a dealership cause I can not afford to pay for whatever is making this noise . If anyone has had a issue like this please help . For a back story of it , I was pulling out of my driveway when I put it in drive and turned the wheel I pushed to hard on the gas and my tires screeched and since then it’s been making
the groaning noise
did u happen to find out the issue im having same exact problem rn? would appreciate the help thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2016 malibu ls was doing the same thing just got a call from the dealership that the vacuum broke up all in my engine metal in my oil and it's going to be 8,000 dollars to replace the engine so now I have to continue payong on a vehicle I can't use definitely don't have 8 grand.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,133 Posts
My 2016 malibu ls was doing the same thing just got a call from the dealership that the vacuum broke up all in my engine metal in my oil and it's going to be 8,000 dollars to replace the engine so now I have to continue payong on a vehicle I can't use definitely don't have 8 grand.
That's awful luck and pretty disappointing. At what mileage did this happen?

That's the third time I've read of the aux vacuum pump breaking up inside the engine. The part is about $100. I guess I should check into how hard it is to preemptively replace before my service contract expires. Also, I suppose a warning should go out: if you have one of the turbo gen 9s, and you start getting abnormal brake behavior such as groans, squeaks, pedal oddities, and ABS-type behavior when ABS shouldn't be activating, consider it serious and immediately seek service before the pump breaks down into the engine.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's awful luck and pretty disappointing. At what mileage did this happen?

That's the third time I've read of the aux vacuum pump breaking up inside the engine. The part is about $100. I guess I should check into how hard it is to preemptively replace before my service contract expires. Also, I suppose a warning should go out: if you have one of the turbo gen 9s, and you start getting abnormal brake behavior such as groans, squeaks, and ABS-type behavior when ABS shouldn't be activating, consider it serious and immediately seek service before the pump breaks down into the engine.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,279 Posts
Wow, I've never heard of such troubles! I hope there's some way that you can get this resolved, even if it comes down to pushing it off a cliff (figuratively) and starting over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts