Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to help a friend get their car going. After sitting for a few weeks, he tried to start it but it did not crank, just a click. I found that the starter solenoid was getting the signal (hence the click) but there was no power to the starter main cable. I found that the 400A fuse on the junction box on top of the battery was blown. I removed the starter and had it tested. They told me it failed so I replaced the starter and junction box on top of the battery. When trying to crank it, it immediately blew the main fuse again. I removed the cable itself to inspect for damage but found non. It only goes from the junction box to the starter and alternator. Does anyone know if something else uses that main fuse or what else I can check? Thank you in advance for any help

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Fresh starter might be bad. Especially if it's a rebuilt one. To blow the 400A mega fuse it takes a dead short to ground.
No other circuit in the car pulls more than 40A and they all are fused separately.
Plus something else would short when key is in run position.
Make sure starter connections are not shorting out.
Since it's a friends car are the battery connections on right and not reversed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fresh starter might be bad. Especially if it's a rebuilt one. To blow the 400A mega fuse it takes a dead short to ground.
No other circuit in the car pulls more than 40A and they all are fused separately.
Plus something else would short when key is in run position.
Make sure starter connections are not shorting out.
Since it's a friends car are the battery connections on right and not reversed?
Thank you for responding. Connections are tight and their orientation is correct. Starter connection is tight. I'll swap out the starter to see if that fixes it. Do you happen to know if the junction box starter fuse uses a special type of solder? All the fuses on the junction box appear to just be solder

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I would try another starter and disconnect the positive wire to the alternator after changing the starter and before testing the starter to see if it cranks OK. Then reconnect alternator and test again.
Not likely a dead short in the alternator but anything is possible.
I don't have your car but usually the mega fuse is replaceable , it is in my cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I was thinking the same thing about the alternator. This car has a junction box that has non replaceable fuses on top of the battery. It appears to be a bus bar with 5 different thickness solder points acting as a mega fuse for 5 different circuits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts