Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
43,300 miles of good performance. 2nd owner. The following has happened three times over the last few months: After initial start for the day (40-60 degrees F) I drive 3 miles on a slow road to the main highway. Once on the highway I accelerate moderately up to highway speed. I notice that the engine has reduced low-end torque to pull up moderate hills or to pass. It might have to downshift one or two gears to make a hill that is ordinarily effortless. I drive 15 miles to my exit in this condition. As soon as I can pull off, I stop the engine for a few seconds and then restart. Immediately after restart, the engine behaves correctly with good torque, easy passes in top gear, easy hill climbs. I get no codes. It "feels" like the timing is retarded or like the turbo has gone soggy. But I have no data.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a known condition? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Battery in good shape ? It is 4 yrs old and may be marginal. Get it load tested, weak at first cold start may be confusing ECU due to low voltage and after running it's charge gets topped off again and second start is fine. All of today's vehicles need a battery in top notch condition as weird things are known to happen. Battery condition is step one nowadays.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, repairman! Never thought of that one. I have a 100 amp load tester and will do that test. This anomaly happened again this morning. The car always started well so it never pointed that way. I'll let you know what I find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts