Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Malibu LT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird thing happened today. My car was filthy with dirt (as there is a lot of house construction around us) so I took it to a car wash that uses “soft” brushes. After it went through the wash the clear coat on my hood and roof is practically gone and scratched to hell. It was not like that before going through, just filthy with dirt. Has anyone had this happen to them before? I’ve never seen a clear coat disappear overnight.
It’s never had body work done, so it’s factory paint.

In comparison here is the side of the car:

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Looks like a bunch of sand or grit was stuck in the top / roof brush at the car wash.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Weird thing happened today. My car was filthy with dirt (as there is a lot of house construction around us) so I took it to a car wash that uses “soft” brushes. After it went through the wash the clear coat on my hood and roof is practically gone and scratched to hell. It was not like that before going through, just filthy with dirt. Has anyone had this happen to them before? I’ve never seen a clear coat disappear overnight.

View attachment 69852 View attachment 69853
In comparison here is the side of the car: View attachment 69854
Same thing happened to my 17 LT. I would not recommend going to ANY carwash with brushes or soft bristles. Any of those will for sure damage your clear coat and paint. I usually go to a self-serve wash and bring a mitt. It’s a bit more time consuming but your paint will thank you!

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Malibu LT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a bunch of sand or grit was stuck in the top / roof brush at the car wash.
That was my thought too, just shocked at how bad it was. Manager defended himself by showing me other cars that went through with no issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That was my thought too, just shocked at how bad it was. Manager defended himself by showing me other cars that went through with no issues.
Yeah those places never clean their brushes, it still sucks to see nice paint get destroyed by those “car washes”. A laser-wash could also be an alternative if you must do a drive-through wash!

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Malibu LT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same thing happened to my 17 LT. I would not recommend going to ANY carwash with brushes or soft bristles. Any of those will for sure damage your clear coat and paint. I usually go to a self-serve wash and bring a mitt. It’s a bit more time consuming but your paint will thank you!
I knew better, but was in a hurry on my lunch break. (Washed my vehicle there before with no major issues.)

What was the resolution on your issue?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I knew better, but was in a hurry on my lunch break. (Washed my vehicle there before with no major issues.)

What was the resolution on your issue?
I also tried to speak with the management but they claimed their brushes are cleaned daily. I managed to save up and take it a collision shop to get the area repainted...was expensive but definitely worth it. Helped me save money when trading it in!

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's not uncommon for the top surfaces (hood, roof, trunk) to develop clear coat issues with the dark paint. You may want to chat with GM about this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I once took a car thru one of those washes after doing some paint repair myself. The brushes took all the new paint off - every bit of it! Made it easy to do it over, but I never took that car to that wash again.
On the other hand, if the dirt on your car had certain kinds of cinders or volcanic ash in it, that alone would ruin your paint. Regardless of the brushes.

·
Registered
9 Posts

View attachment 69852 View attachment 69853
In comparison here is the side of the car: View attachment 69854
Well in my case, I had the same problem at the hood, roof and trunk. The clear coat was all gone and I never had pass it thru any car wash. I posted on the forum but no one replied having the same/similar issue. I checked with the local GM dealer, they did not considered processing it thru my extended warranty. So, I took it to a body work shop and now looks great again. Could be the extreme heat temperature / lots of rain I lived in Puerto Rico, but no sure? I have had other vehicles, same conditions, never seen that their clear coat vanishes. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts