Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend noticed that the roof, hood and trunk of our 2016 had all kind of scratches all over it and ask what happened. Had no ideal what he was talking about. Didn't think much of it at the time. Our car was filthy with dirt (as there is a lot of road construction and other work being done around us) so I took it to a car wash that uses “soft” brushes. After it went through the wash the clear coat on my hood and roof is practically gone and scratched to hell. It was not like that before going through, just filthy with dirt. I just saw on here where others had had same issue. I’ve never seen a clear coat disappear overnight. We purchased the car brand new and still have payments on it. Has approx 59,000 miles on it. We have owned other vehicles and have never had this issue. We should not be out the expense to have it repainted and clear coat put back on it. We are paying enough for the car. I ask my mechanic and friend about it and he also said he had never seen it like this and that it could be a recall and I should check it out so here I am. It’s never had body work done, so it’s factory paint. What can we do and how can we file a complaint to help others like ourselves get this issue to be recalled so us as owners can have our vehicle painted correctly at no out of pocket expense?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,662 Posts
Start by calling GM or taking it to a dealer to see if they're in a position to help.

Also, try not to make it sound like it needs to be a recall. Recalls are for safety-related issues, which paint is not.

Believe me, though, I feel bad for you. If you wanna start a grass-roots movement, CMF is not the place. We're just owners like you who share what we learn with others so we can all learn how to care for our rides more than if we were left to our own devices.

When you call or go in, a pleasant attitude and asking for help will work way better than demanding it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,388 Posts
Great advice from @DrivenDaily. Now entering the sixth year of gen9, similar reports have been creeping up a bit. I'd guess we have about a dozen forum reports - usually from car wash damage to clearcoat. There is another owner in THIS thread that suggests getting a professional estimate then contacting GM if the dealer initially refuses help.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,482 Posts
It's going to be a tough sell getting clearcoat issues covered on a 5+ year old car. I'm not saying your paint should be in terrible shape, but I haven't used an automated car wash on any car I bought new because they are known for clearcoat abuse.

Reactions: campb292

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,388 Posts
It's going to be a tough sell getting clearcoat issues covered on a 5+ year old car. I'm not saying your paint should be in terrible shape, but I haven't used an automated car wash on any car I bought new because they are known for clearcoat abuse.
You haven't taken the SS to a local automatic car wash to have it high-speed whipped with steel wool covered in the dirt, sand, and pebbles of a thousand cars before you? Crazy.

Reactions: cp-the-nerd

·
Registered
14 Posts
Start by calling GM or taking it to a dealer to see if they're in a position to help.

Also, try not to make it sound like it needs to be a recall. Recalls are for safety-related issues, which paint is not.

Believe me, though, I feel bad for you. If you wanna start a grass-roots movement, CMF is not the place. We're just owners like you who share what we learn with others so we can all learn how to care for our rides more than if we were left to our own devices.

When you call or go in, a pleasant attitude and asking for help will work way better than demanding it.
Mine 2016 Premier had the same problem with paint's clear coat. I never had wash it thru car washes and still got the clear coat issue. I checked at the local GM dealer, and no warranty cover it. So, I took it for a paint job (hood, roof & trunk for $550.00) and it looks great as new.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone same issue here as original post but on a cadillac escalade 2016.
I have contacted the dealer and gm directly they gave me a 3500 estimate for repair and gm offered a 35% discount. Obviously not acceptable since this is a known issue with gm cars of certain years therefor I have contacted a class action law suite attorney anyone interested just chime in.
FYI statue of limitation is 6 years from discovery.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Do you have pictures of the damage you can share? Also, what region of the country does the vehicle reside in? Does your vehicle see sunlight everyday? (or does it get garaged at all?)

The clear coat used on the 2016+ Malibu is fairly soft, but it does harden just a bit with age. The subject of car wash solvents is a huge problem in general because touchless (or near-touchless) washes typically use very aggressive solvents to clean your car the same way a touch-wash would. A lot of people also complain about paint protection film being damaged by these same types of washes as well. What's worse is some reinforced plastics degrade (mainly on the fuel tank) because of aggressive wash solvents that require engineering changes.

If you have access to a pool chemistry set, I would be interested to see what the pH of the wash solvent is.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,662 Posts
Do you have pictures of the damage you can share? Also, what region of the country does the vehicle reside in? Does your vehicle see sunlight everyday? (or does it get garaged at all?)

The clear coat used on the 2016+ Malibu is fairly soft, but it does harden just a bit with age. The subject of car wash solvents is a huge problem in general because touchless (or near-touchless) washes typically use very aggressive solvents to clean your car the same way a touch-wash would. A lot of people also complain about paint protection film being damaged by these same types of washes as well. What's worse is some reinforced plastics degrade (mainly on the fuel tank) because of aggressive wash solvents that require engineering changes.

If you have access to a pool chemistry set, I would be interested to see what the pH of the wash solvent is.
Your posts are full of bravado and bluster. You've been banned and your posts have been identified as misinformation.

·
Registered
160 Posts

2016 1LT 94,250~ miles as of this post.

Does your roof look something like this? This happened about 23K miles ago or 1/2020 (before covid). I got my car back from the dealer after a service. I went home. A few days later I look at my roof and its scratched to hell and wonder was this the dealer? I was about to go back but...I dont recall which visit it was (you loose track of how many times the darn thing goes to the dealer in 5+ years). So I just let it go, F it.

Fast forward to 5/13/21. I call up a buddy to see if he can possibly fix it and I basically told him "As long I dont see bare metal, go ham". 3 hours later 2 stage wet sand and ceramic coat, it turned out great (IMHO).

Within less than 3 days. It sadly went back to its faded self like my first pictures but now I get cool water beads when there is morning dew or wash my car from that ceramic coating. I let him know tonight and well its just beyond repair. IMHO it needs to be repainted or vinyl wrapped black or so. Nothing on his part. I wont make him accountable for helping me out. While the thread says go back to GM/Chevy and get and outcome. I'm personally just going to let it be. I don't like getting the run around, point fingers here and there, its not worth my time.

To whoever is going to go great lengths to have GM resolve the issue one way or another, I wish the best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone same issue here as original post but on a cadillac escalade 2016.
I have contacted the dealer and gm directly they gave me a 3500 estimate for repair and gm offered a 35% discount. Obviously not acceptable since this is a known issue with gm cars of certain years therefor I have contacted a class action law suite attorney anyone interested just chime in.
FYI statue of limitation is 6 years from discovery.
Please let me know about the class action. I will contact GM to see if they can help, but id like this as an alternative.

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 70845 View attachment 70846
2016 1LT 94,250~ miles as of this post.

Does your roof look something like this? This happened about 23K miles ago or 1/2020 (before covid). I got my car back from the dealer after a service. I went home. A few days later I look at my roof and its scratched to hell and wonder was this the dealer? I was about to go back but...I dont recall which visit it was (you loose track of how many times the darn thing goes to the dealer in 5+ years). So I just let it go, F it.

Fast forward to 5/13/21. I call up a buddy to see if he can possibly fix it and I basically told him "As long I dont see bare metal, go ham". 3 hours later 2 stage wet sand and ceramic coat, it turned out great (IMHO).
View attachment 70847 View attachment 70848

View attachment 70849

Within less than 3 days. It sadly went back to its faded self like my first pictures but now I get cool water beads when there is morning dew or wash my car from that ceramic coating. I let him know tonight and well its just beyond repair. IMHO it needs to be repainted or vinyl wrapped black or so. Nothing on his part. I wont make him accountable for helping me out. While the thread says go back to GM/Chevy and get and outcome. I'm personally just going to let it be. I don't like getting the run around, point fingers here and there, its not worth my time.

To whoever is going to go great lengths to have GM resolve the issue one way or another, I wish the best.
I have same problem. Took mine to paint shop, and they say its from a defective paint job. The scratches are called “checking.”

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have same problem. Took mine to paint shop, and they say its from a defective paint job. The scratches are called “checking.”
Thats crazy. My previous car was a 2011 Kia Soul and never had this issue other than paint swirls and plastic fading.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts