Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am loving all the info on this forum, it really helped me out. So I bought my Malibu in 2018 ish at 95 000km. Around 110 000km I took it in and they found piston damage and replaced the entire engine under the PT awarranty. 3 months after that I am driving over a busy bridge and the "reduce engine power " light comes on and the car drops down to like 20km and wouldn't go any faster. Got it towed into the shop, said it was the pedal or something I can't remember. Now, its 2021 and the car is at 150 000km it's lagging 4 seconds sometimes when I press the gas. They are saying there is another piston recall, they will see the extent of the damage tomorrow. They may just need to replace some pistons and gaskets, or they may need to replace the whole engine AGAIN.

I feel like I have a lemon, what can I do? Even if they fix the entire engine it's clear the car eats pistons

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,372 Posts
I'm interested in this 2nd piston recall. That isn't listed on the recall or bulletin list yet but I'll be watching for it. It sounds like the work is being covered. If the repair comes with additional warranty I'd keep the car since it's protected. If the warranty is expiring soon I'd get it fixed and dump it asap. One incident of piston failure is possible but rare and a second incident suggests something else is involved and they aren't sure what. With the car being purchased used you may never know.

Good luck and let us know what that recall number is when you get the paperwork!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.