Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
So i have a 2016 Malibu premier. Basically i have a stock exhaust system except for i did resonator Delete and put on some flow master super ten series mufflers it’s loud right now. I was wondering if i un hook the exhaust from the cat (requires you to un screw a few bolts) and push it off to the side a little and hold with wire ties so the exhaust still comes out the cat without taking the whole exhaust off will it be any louder? And will it harm the car in any way long term or short term? I’ve heard it’ll trigger check engine code maybe but it won’t physically cause any harm to any components of the vehicle. I just want a answer please i don’t need people telling me it’ll sound lame or anything. Thank you for your help i honestly haven’t seen anything on this.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,898 Posts
Aside from the moron alert system you have already created, there might be a bonus to disconnecting the entire exhaust post cat: It would be exhausting right under the car and could allow fumes inside the cabin especially at idle.

Put your car back together and keep it safe, legal, and mature. I also moved your post from the gen7 general section to gen9 mods.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,457 Posts
The less restriction there is in the exhaust or intake flow, the better the engine will breathe and the more efficient it will be.

Will it harm the car? To my knowledge, not physically. However, because the computer is at a loss as to the condition of the emissions, it could change the stoichiometric ratio and cause either excessive fuel consumption due to enriching it, or burning things up due to leaning it out.

If you want noise, fashion a trumpet-shaped exhaust tip so it amplifies the sound coming out of the tailpipe. That way, you can be more obnoxious than the next fella and get all those heads to bobbing.

Like @campb292 suggests, avoid the moron alert and grow up.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,542 Posts
Your idea for unlatching the cat is terrible and will not pass any vehicle inspection. Yes, it will throw fault codes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you and my Son are watching the same Youtube videos! He randomly comes around with some hair brained idea to get "Big Gains" as well. A firm smack to the back of the head, reorients him for a period of time. The worst part is he grew up around me building bikes, cars etc. so he knows better, or should know at least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.