Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Malibu Premier
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My paint on hood,roof an trunk is messed up I had it waxed they said top coat is gone. Sides are all good. Now it really looks a mess. Anyone have ideas on how to fix?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,945 Posts
Find out what kind of product was used and if they did any kind of machine work on the paint.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If the surface isn't peeled, then it could be oxidation that may need to be polished out. We need pics because we have no idea what type of damage is on the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My paint on hood,roof an trunk is messed up I had it waxed they said top coat is gone. Sides are all good. Now it really looks a mess. Anyone have ideas on how to fix?
More common that you would think. I believe GM changed it top coat, which is creating these problems. Safe to assume that you live in a sunny area?

If possible, ask the detailer for a paint report (to keep it from being your word against GM), and contact Chevy to see what they ca/will do..

·
Registered
42 Posts
If the surface isn't peeled, then it could be oxidation that may need to be polished out. We need pics because we have no idea what type of damage is on the car.
Polishing the paint without the clearcoat will further damage the paint, may not be a smart idea. It sounds like Kathy's went to a component shop. Also pertaining to the other reply, no reasonable profession chemical today should cause this problem (and the Detailer would stop after one panel, not three top surfaces with no damage on the side). Knowing the chemicals just gives GM ammo to deny any coverage.

·
Registered
121 Posts
More common that you would think. I believe GM changed it top coat, which is creating these problems. Safe to assume that you live in a sunny area?

If possible, ask the detailer for a paint report (to keep it from being your word against GM), and contact Chevy to see what they ca/will do..
The paint should definitely have clear on it. It may be dull but still have a good amount of clearcoat on the surface. If someone foolishly destroyed the clearcoat surface, then the least you will need is a re-spray of the clear, provided that the base layer is good. If the dealer performed paint work on the car and if its the area that's bad, then try returning it to them. Look for your invoice for the work for a statement of a warranty. Many times dealers will only guarantee their workmanship for a year.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The paint should definitely have clear on it. It may be dull but still have a good amount of clearcoat on the surface. If someone foolishly destroyed the clearcoat surface, then the least you will need is a re-spray of the clear, provided that the base layer is good. If the dealer performed paint work on the car and if its the area that's bad, then try returning it to them. Look for your invoice for the work for a statement of a warranty. Many times dealers will only guarantee their workmanship for a year.
You are right that it should, but it doesn't. Not sure why you think that the dealer re-shot the paint, I do not think Kathy asserted such. Also not sure your assumption that someone foolishly destroyed the clear-coat is valid (though could be possible) since GM has clear-coat issues (not going to expand on that in this forum, as it is not fair to GM).

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,518 Posts
Also not sure your assumption that someone foolishly destroyed the clear-coat is valid (though could be possible) since GM has clear-coat issues (not going to expand on that in this forum, as it is not fair to GM).
But it is fair to accuse GM of some widespread faulty clearcoat with no evidence? Is this based on one forum post? Your own experience with a car bringing the total to two? I searched this forum and in gen9 there is one thread detailing some paint issues that relate to paint under the hood and nothing for clearcoat/clear coat/top coat at all. Google doesn't yield anything widedpread. You would think with 20,000 posts there would be more than one if these were systemic "issues". I think a calm down is in order while we wait for the OP to return with more info.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,945 Posts
can you post any pics?
Share some photos of the surface for better recommendations.
can you post some pictures?
Let's all take a deep breath for just a minute or two.

The OP has been asked 4 times for pics and this conversation has gotten all tangled up in theoretical long-term issues with no proof.

Let's wait for the OP, @Kathy’s, to return with some comments and/or pictures before this train completely jumps the tracks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.