Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,670 Posts
A service contract with an exclusion for carbon buildup in a direct injection engine? That's like homeowner's insurance that excludes damage from fires or damage to any wood or building materials. Lots of dodgy contracts out there these days.

I wonder how many pistons have to crack outside their so called "predictive monitoring" program algorithm before they issue another set of especially vulnerable engines. Get a lawyer, if you want help send me a private message/conversation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A service contract with an exclusion for carbon buildup in a direct injection engine? That's like homeowner's insurance that excludes damage from fires or damage to any wood or building materials. Lots of dodgy contracts out there these days.

I wonder how many pistons have to crack outside their so called "predictive monitoring" program algorithm before they issue another set of especially vulnerable engines. Get a lawyer, if you want help send me a private message/conversation.
Yeah I do need help. I need to contact a lawyer

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 LT, purchased in November with 46000. Now has 52000.
I just got back from 1000 Mile road trip. No kidding, the symptom was either unnoticeable for the duration of the trip or the piston cracked about 3 blocks from my house. Talk about serendipity.
I brought it in, thinking something minor yesterday. Guy called today said they have to confirm, but probably looking at a new engine.
Lucky for me, it will be covered, but I've read through the comments here and really disappointed with GMs handling. As of today, I don't really have a specific brand loyalty, but I always thought Chevy was one of the more reliable brands. I'll probably shy away in the future, all things being equal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2017 LT, purchased in November with 46000. Now has 52000.
I just got back from 1000 Mile road trip. No kidding, the symptom was either unnoticeable for the duration of the trip or the piston cracked about 3 blocks from my house. Talk about serendipity.
I brought it in, thinking something minor yesterday. Guy called today said they have to confirm, but probably looking at a new engine.
Lucky for me, it will be covered, but I've read through the comments here and really disappointed with GMs handling. As of today, I don't really have a specific brand loyalty, but I always thought Chevy was one of the more reliable brands. I'll probably shy away in the future, all things being equal.
My advice to you is to trade it in. That car won't get you to 100K.

I wish I had before this issue. Now my vehicle which was worth $7K will be worth $4 or lower once I trade it in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to retract my original statement. I brought my vehicle in after running extremely rough. The following day, the service tech called and said that the initial indications were that of a cracked piston. The following Monday, I got another call saying they began "teardown", did not get very far, and found that a vacuum hose had loosened and that that was the problem. I picked it up and it runs fine.

So, for the moment, it sounds like my engine is intact.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,670 Posts
@GarbageBarge Thanks for the update, glad it turned out to be something minor.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Good news. Run premium fuel in that Turbo for long life.

Reactions: cp-the-nerd

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,189 Posts
... you might wanna run it in your tank as well ... ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, First time posting here. I've seen several posts about broken pistons and have the same problem which I'm ticked off about so I thought I'd share what happened. I bought my Malibu Premier in April 2016. Just before hitting 60k the stabilitrack light came on with a decrease in power a few times. I didn't think much of it because it it went off each time and the engine went back to full power. Then at just over 62k I got a check engine light with a decrease in power. Power returned but light stayed on so I took it to a shop that read the code. It came back with p300 or so code which the shop said could mean a number of things. They cleared the code and I drove it waiting to see if it would return. It drove find for about a month and then started running rough with a large decrease in gas mileage and decided to take it to the dealer. The day before dropped it off the check engine light came back on. Anyway, the dealer checked it out and said I have a cracked piston and they have to replace all four and that it would cost 4-5k. Since it was out or warranty I was looking at having to pay it myself but I knew enough to ask about participation from GM and the dealer checked with them and GM agreed to limit my cost to $1,500. While I appreciate having to pay only $1,500, this is a problem that should never have happened and it obviously started well before my warranty expired. Given that the recall obviously didn't work and the circumstances I think GM should have picked up the entire amount. GM decreasing their powertrain warranty from 100k miles to 60k miles says a lot about their confidence in their engines.
Hello, just wondering if your putting upwards of 30k miles a year AND at how many miles you change oil.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,670 Posts
Hello, just wondering if your putting upwards of 30k miles a year AND at how many miles you change oil.
You are unlikely to receive a reply from the user you quoted. It has been over a year since the post and that user posted one time and never returned. Following the OP, 2 other one and done posters offered a "me too" with no follow-up. From that point, the discussion wandered to a possible piston issue that ended up being loss of vacuum from a loose hose. I think it is time to move on from this one.

Thread closed.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.