Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went to autozone to use the scanner, but they could only read the engine compartment.
No, it must be a far more sophisticated scanner to read and reset the modules I'm referring to. I bought an autel brand on amazon for about $1,000. It resend the modules fine. Time between needing resets has been random//I haven't paid enough attention to it - the Malibu is my wife's car.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
I went to autozone to use the scanner, but they could only read the engine compartment.
Part store will only read P codes. There are a total of 4 code families.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Weighing in on the park assist system responses for the 2016 Chevy Malibu premier. Purchased my vehicle in December, by January I had taken it back to the purchasing dealer with complaints of the system not working or receiving error messages. Supposedly they fixed the problem. So then we go into Covid, hadn't been driving the vehicle, lo and behold the light pops up again. So I finally get it back in for service, the technician and the service rep tell me that there were some codes relative to the problem all they needed to do was reprogram it and that the your message should stop coming up, wouldn't you believe less than 3 months later the light is back on again. obviously from reading all the literature and the comments regarding this matter there seems to be an ongoing problem. it is my intentions to call the dealer back and find out what the warranty is on their reprogramming work, but obviously there seems to be a continual problem with this matter. Any assistance that someone can provide me in order to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated as I truly like my Chevy Malibu premier.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Weighing in on the park assist system responses for the 2016 Chevy Malibu premier. Purchased my vehicle in December, by January I had taken it back to the purchasing dealer with complaints of the system not working or receiving error messages. Supposedly they fixed the problem. So then we go into Covid, hadn't been driving the vehicle, lo and behold the light pops up again. So I finally get it back in for service, the technician and the service rep tell me that there were some codes relative to the problem all they needed to do was reprogram it and that the your message should stop coming up, wouldn't you believe less than 3 months later the light is back on again. obviously from reading all the literature and the comments regarding this matter there seems to be an ongoing problem. it is my intentions to call the dealer back and find out what the warranty is on their reprogramming work, but obviously there seems to be a continual problem with this matter. Any assistance that someone can provide me in order to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated as I truly like my Chevy Malibu premier.
Welcome to the forum, and to the Malibu Premier. It does seem to be an ongoing issue and many supposed fixes have come about. I still haven't come across a solid one - or I missed it. Good luck to you and us all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2016 Premier has had the Parking Assist system repaired, reprogrammed and generally looked at at least 4 times. My dealer’s service department just did it a few months and less than 3,000 miles ago and suddenly they’re saying it’s no longer covered by the extended warranty AND they want a $200 “diagnostic fee”. Disappointed that this is an ongoing problem and that they suddenly don’t want to fix it. I also noticed that the error code popped up again after a car wash so interesting that that could be part of the issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2016 Premier has had the Parking Assist system repaired, reprogrammed and generally looked at at least 4 times. My dealer’s service department just did it a few months and less than 3,000 miles ago and suddenly they’re saying it’s no longer covered by the extended warranty AND they want a $200 “diagnostic fee”. Disappointed that this is an ongoing problem and that they suddenly don’t want to fix it. I also noticed that the error code popped up again after a car wash so interesting that that could be part of the issue.
Good evening, I just reviewed the last post regarding the park assist. Yes I noticed the same thing too that the park assist function just seems to be very temperamental after getting a car wash. I did some research online about the front, side, and rear sensors and came up with some very interesting information. It was posted by someone online who had a Mercedes with very sensitive sensors. So apparently water can get behind the sensors and it tends to make them shoot off error codes on your console up or an error message comes on indicating service the park assist. The information recommended or suggested cleaning the sensors off or wiping them off using a silicone lubricant type of a spray. It usually comes under a variety of different names but basically it's a spray lubricant and what it does is it works its way in around the sensor, coats the parts and wiring and the connection points. Hence what it does is it prevents water from getting in there and settling around the mechanism. I've tried it a couple times but I noticed the first time I tried it, it resolved the issue I went for about three or four car washes where they're doing the undercarriage and all this other stuff and then a couple days later the park assist service came back on. Sprayed and clean the sensors and light went off, it was a little bit temperamental. I had taken a road trip and so I'm thinking that between the oil lubricant and the wind it actually blew any residual water from around the sensors. So now what I do every couple washes, is that I spray the lubricant on there and then just wipe it off so it's not running down on the paint or anything and it seems to be resolving the problem. During one of my visits to the dealership about the sensor or the park assist function, they indicated that the dealerships don't really have any control as when the designers decide to update the programs which control this module, they just do it, and then send a update bulletin for them to rescan and reprogram in order to correct something. But like I said since I've been wiping the sensors off with the lubricant, they've become much more functional and I really haven't had a problem. Again this is in the experimental stage because it's only been about 3 months since I've been doing this, but it appears that whereas the park assist sensor would come on every thousand miles or so, praise the Lord it has not recently come back on. Hopefully this helps! Be Blessed!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good evening, I just reviewed the last post regarding the park assist. Yes I noticed the same thing too that the park assist function just seems to be very temperamental after getting a car wash. I did some research online about the front, side, and rear sensors and came up with some very interesting information. It was posted by someone online who had a Mercedes with very sensitive sensors. So apparently water can get behind the sensors and it tends to make them shoot off error codes on your console up or an error message comes on indicating service the park assist. The information recommended or suggested cleaning the sensors off or wiping them off using a silicone lubricant type of a spray. It usually comes under a variety of different names but basically it's a spray lubricant and what it does is it works its way in around the sensor, coats the parts and wiring and the connection points. Hence what it does is it prevents water from getting in there and settling around the mechanism. I've tried it a couple times but I noticed the first time I tried it, it resolved the issue I went for about three or four car washes where they're doing the undercarriage and all this other stuff and then a couple days later the park assist service came back on. Sprayed and clean the sensors and light went off, it was a little bit temperamental. I had taken a road trip and so I'm thinking that between the oil lubricant and the wind it actually blew any residual water from around the sensors. So now what I do every couple washes, is that I spray the lubricant on there and then just wipe it off so it's not running down on the paint or anything and it seems to be resolving the problem. During one of my visits to the dealership about the sensor or the park assist function, they indicated that the dealerships don't really have any control as when the designers decide to update the programs which control this module, they just do it, and then send a update bulletin for them to rescan and reprogram in order to correct something. But like I said since I've been wiping the sensors off with the lubricant, they've become much more functional and I really haven't had a problem. Again this is in the experimental stage because it's only been about 3 months since I've been doing this, but it appears that whereas the park assist sensor would come on every thousand miles or so, praise the Lord it has not recently come back on. Hopefully this helps! Be Blessed!
Good to hear you're having some success with this. My particular case doesn't appear to be car wash related - I don't care too much to wash cars so yeah I'm that guy. Not to say that water doesn't somehow get into it and cause this. I'll try it out. You mentioned that "the park assist sensor would come on every thousand miles or so", how did you turn it off/reset it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I get service park assist message after rain and car washes on my 2018 Premier. I had it reprogrammed, did the same thing just days later. The dealer told me they see it a lot and sometimes it just never works right. I only have powertrain warranty left so I'm not about to start cha$ing problems on a junk system.

·
Registered
47 Posts
@jeffk Yes, I feel the same way. It's a shame that the bells and whistles don't work - which is probably what attracted any initial sales. Definitely makes me want to jump ship to another brand and/or a lower tier with less to go wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, before you jump or start chasing problems, try using the silicone WD40! As I mentioned, I found this info online when researching the issue, it was originally posted by a Mercedes Benz owner who was experiencing similar if not identical problems. The ideology behind it is too simple, and may seem difficult to believe. However, if you research the uses for the silicone WD40, it makes a lot of sense. You can find the video on YouTube! A very inexpensive solution, especially when compared to the cost of the continually reprogramming the park assist module. This has become a regular part of my routine, and Praise the Lord, I have not had to go back to the dealer for assistance. I also spent time reading the owner's manual focusing on the key functions of the park assist system in order to fully understand all of the warning indicator light, etc. Each time you start your car, pay close attention to all of the indicators that come on. The car does a systems check of everything. If no lights remain on and are illuminated with an amber glow, chances are that when you shift into the drive mode and the display gives you the message "service park assist system", there is a 60/40 chance that the sensor connectors/wiring may have come in contact with moisture. Check out the YouTube video and read up on the park assist system, it is really quite interesting. Be Blessed, stay safe and positive

Hey Guys, for anyone who is interested .... Go to YouTube and search for "How To Fix Your Parking Sensors for FREE Works on Every Car" by George Sisters, posted on July 30, 2020.

My apologies, it's by George Austers ...

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,007 Posts
This is the video mentioned above:

·
Registered
47 Posts
@MdmeM & @DrivenDaily Thank you for the info. I'll give it a try since I really have nothing to lose and I am sure I already have a silicone spray if not I'll just get some. I'll post back with results after a few months. To note, this car is currently being driven in Tennessee, so there is plenty of water naturally in addition to any car washings.

Of note from the video, toward the end he refers to 1 or 2 sensors not working using the silicone spray method; however, seemingly because of GM's design, I have no way to know if only 1 is malfunctioning or multiple ones are malfunctioning - the system just gives up and displayed the infamous "Service Park Assist" and "Park Assist Unavailable" whenever you press the button. Not that this will stop me from trying the silicon spray anyway, it's just rather annoying this feature vehicles have it so sloppily engineered - I understand everything breaks down over time, but as many Malibu owners have seen, this particular issue occurred very soon in the life of the vehicle.
^^Just a little rant I suppose.^^

I have noticed my parking sensors did come back by themselves a few days ago. Nothing changed save for the car wasn't driven for a few weeks - it was started just to charge the battery (maybe the water found it's way out if water in the sensor was causing the issue). I'll try to pay closer attention to when it comes on, but this car is my wife's so I usually just get "the light is on" kind of a story - I just tease my wife since she is an engineer.

On a slight tangent:
Lastly, has anyone had the adaptive cruise control not work either? I hardly use it and I would guess it works in tandem with the parking sensors to 'see' where the car is. The issue is now the parking sensors are working fine, the cruise icon comes on in the dash, but when I press the set button it tells me "Adaptive Cruise Control Unavailable". Everything else seems to be working on the car at the moment.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Car in the video is a BMW with sensor issues. Way way more expensive a car than a lowly Malibu yet same issues.
And the Chevy is junk ????
Malibu's have beemer parts I guess so that's a unrealized upgrade....

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
On a slight tangent:
Lastly, has anyone had the adaptive cruise control not work either? I hardly use it and I would guess it works in tandem with the parking sensors to 'see' where the car is. The issue is now the parking sensors are working fine, the cruise icon comes on in the dash, but when I press the set button it tells me "Adaptive Cruise Control Unavailable". Everything else seems to be working on the car at the moment.
Adaptive cruise doesn't use the bumper parking sensors. They only have a range of a few feet.
Adaptive cruise in my Traverse uses a sensor in the windshield that is behind the inside rearview mirror. And in it cruise can be adaptive or not adaptive. I choose not adaptive in it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
@repairman54 Good to know on the adaptive cruise. Is there a setting you can change to make it constant cruise vs the adaptive? Otherwise I'll check the manual whenever the car is home. This is just once again one of those annoying things to have and not be able to use it.

I'm not implying it's junk per se; I was pointing out that it's rather annoying an a vehicle owner these systems break down seemingly early. I'd even go as far to consider a downgraded malibu/other brand to get away from such tech and problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow ... Mr. Repairman54 your comments regarding the Malibu and the video which offers a potential solution to a problem, were really quite negative and unwarranted. Anyone who takes a moment to view the view can clearly see that it is a Benz in the video. In case you missed it, whether it's a Benz, Malibu, or whatever, sensors are sensors. They serve the same purpose, hence, solutions are relative. Your tangent may be out of frustration, however take care a moment and think about how those who maybe experiencing these issues feel! Seriously, these are supposed to be positive conversations ...
Now regards to the adaptive cruise comments, it works in conjunction with a couple of other things, i.e. the traction control system. When you use your adaptive cruise in order for it to work properly you have to set the gap, which is the distance you are following behind the vehicle in front of you, if one is there and if you are too close to a vehicle and you're trying to use the adaptive cruise it will give you an error message. If it's foggy, raining, or snowy you may also receive this message. Adaptive cruise you can turn it on or off, either you don't use the cruise or you use it. It will slow you down if you have crash alert built into your many options, it will give a driver alert, it will slow the car down if you have a auto braking functions. You may also receive an error message, the area behind your rear view mirror is dirty and it may not be something which is visible when in the driver seat. It can be a smug or particles from trees, like sap, but it will hinder the camera's ability to see ... Yes, the bells and whistles are sensitive ... Welcome to the world of AI! If you take a look at owner's manual, you will find additional details pertaining to this matter. You can also download a manual from the Chevy website if you don't have it available to you. Personally I located solutions to many issues, simply by referring to the manual. Be Blessed and have a wonderful evening ....

·
Registered
8 Posts
@MdmeM & @DrivenDaily Thank you for the info. I'll give it a try since I really have nothing to lose and I am sure I already have a silicone spray if not I'll just get some. I'll post back with results after a few months. To note, this car is currently being driven in Tennessee, so there is plenty of water naturally in addition to any car washings.

Of note from the video, toward the end he refers to 1 or 2 sensors not working using the silicone spray method; however, seemingly because of GM's design, I have no way to know if only 1 is malfunctioning or multiple ones are malfunctioning - the system just gives up and displayed the infamous "Service Park Assist" and "Park Assist Unavailable" whenever you press the button. Not that this will stop me from trying the silicon spray anyway, it's just rather annoying this feature vehicles have it so sloppily engineered - I understand everything breaks down over time, but as many Malibu owners have seen, this particular issue occurred very soon in the life of the vehicle.
^^Just a little rant I suppose.^^

I have noticed my parking sensors did come back by themselves a few days ago. Nothing changed save for the car wasn't driven for a few weeks - it was started just to charge the battery (maybe the water found it's way out if water in the sensor was causing the issue). I'll try to pay closer attention to when it comes on, but this car is my wife's so I usually just get "the light is on" kind of a story - I just tease my wife since she is an engineer.

On a slight tangent:
Hey 2016 Premier, you mentioned you changed the battery ... when you disconnect your battery, it will clear codes in the ECM, which will make the lights or error messages go out. The car then will re-learn and communicate with all of the various control modules. Sometimes this is a good way to find out if there is really an issue, as the error message or the code will reappear. Also, any water which may have seeped into the sensor(s) would have had an opportunity to drain out or evaporate. In my last comment, I provided some information relative to the adaptive cruise ... in short the windshield behind the rear view mirror could be dirty. Some features can not be engaged if you are setting stationary, on a curve, or going up an incline. But if you take a look at the owner's manual you find in depth information regarding this feature and why you could be receiving this message when you attempt to engage the system. You can also download a manual from Chevy if you no longer have the manual which came with the car. Be Blessed ...

·
Administrator
19,007 Posts
... snip ...

Hey Guys, for anyone who is interested .... Go to YouTube and search for "How To Fix Your Parking Sensors for FREE Works on Every Car" by George Sisters, posted on July 30, 2020.

My apologies, it's by George Austers ...
Wow ... Mr. Repairman54 your comments regarding the Malibu and the video which offers a potential solution to a problem, were really quite negative and unwarranted. Anyone who takes a moment to view the view can clearly see that it is a Benz in the video. In case you missed it, whether it's a Benz, Malibu, or whatever, sensors are sensors. They serve the same purpose, hence, solutions are relative. Your tangent may be out of frustration, however take care a moment and think about how those who maybe experiencing these issues feel! Seriously, these are supposed to be positive conversations ...
Now regards to the adaptive cruise comments, it works in conjunction with a couple of other things, i.e. the traction control system. When you use your adaptive cruise in order for it to work properly you have to set the gap, which is the distance you are following behind the vehicle in front of you, if one is there and if you are too close to a vehicle and you're trying to use the adaptive cruise it will give you an error message. If it's foggy, raining, or snowy you may also receive this message. Adaptive cruise you can turn it on or off, either you don't use the cruise or you use it. It will slow you down if you have crash alert built into your many options, it will give a driver alert, it will slow the car down if you have a auto braking functions. You may also receive an error message, the area behind your rear view mirror is dirty and it may not be something which is visible when in the driver seat. It can be a smug or particles from trees, like sap, but it will hinder the camera's ability to see ... Yes, the bells and whistles are sensitive ... Welcome to the world of AI! If you take a look at owner's manual, you will find additional details pertaining to this matter. You can also download a manual from the Chevy website if you don't have it available to you. Personally I located solutions to many issues, simply by referring to the manual. Be Blessed and have a wonderful evening ....
I used your title, found the YT video, and posted it as a service. I'm not sure why you weren't able to do so yourself. It's really easy: Copy the link, then paste it into a post.

For all the automotive expertise you're sharing, I think you need take a look at that video again. It's not a Benz, it's a BMW! They have a patent on the double-kidney grille design, not MB.

And while sensors may be sensors, a BMW sensor does not necessarily translate to a Benz or Malibu sensor in its application or design. Your assertion that all sensors are the same is simply not accurate.

You have no reason whatsoever to chide @repairman54 for his comments, and then counsel him to "take care". He speaks facts and can back them up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So what, its a BMW and not the Benz. I happened to have checked out more than one You Tube video on the subject. Irregardless to what type of vehicle, if the solution solves the problem, great! If it doesn't, at least it was a POSITIVE response. And, yes a sensor is just that. Some may be more expensive than others ... but their functions are relative. And, no, I didn't attempt to copy the video ... The point was to concerned parties to a general location where they could review several comments on the subject for themselves. No, negativity isn't something that is required, it lives around every turn, and this is supposed to be a POSITIVE forum. It's unfortunate that you are not pleased with my response, however, I spoke the truth! FYI, my "expertise" is from years of reading and research. No, I am no longer in the automotive industry, but a little research can go a long way. Be Blessed and stay safe ...

·
Administrator
19,007 Posts
@MdmeM

If those sensors are so delicate that water intrusion causes issues, then it seems that Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and GM, at the very least, have missed the mark in their design and execution. I seriously doubt that there is a spot in them that leaks water into the electrical components, they stop working, and that they are miraculously fixed by a few squirts of WD or any other fluid. If that's the case, then the sensors have failed and need to be replaced. They are supposed to be rated for 100% exposure to the elements, and if being exposed to them causes them to fail, then they are now compromised and need to be fixed or replaced. A little snake oil, whether it's the good stuff (WD) or something else, is not a cure, it's a band-aid. Nothing wrong with a band-aid if it helps, but a proper cure is more likely what folks are looking for.

Your information is helpful to some degree, and it might help others if you were to know the difference between WD-40's original product and any silicone spray. WD-40 was originally devised as a product to protect the outer skin of certain US ballistic missiles and to displace water, hence it's designation "WD" for water displacement. They now make a range of fluids that include a silicone spray that is used for light-duty lubrication but has limited success at displacing water. As you say, "a little research can go a long way" toward being more accurate.

As for your continued contention that @repairman54 was negative, I saw nothing at all in his comments that was negative or that merited your condescending comments to that regard. I saw a humorous quip that the lowly, common-man's Chevy has been upgraded with BMW parts. If that's negative, then you have an odd sense of what's negative. Regardless, you needn't demean others in your vain attempt to appear superior.

The main reason I object to so much of your input is that it is so poorly presented, and is done so with an air of superiority to it. That, in a nutshell, is a definition of arrogance.

When I or others had anything to say that called your information into question, you accused them of being negative, dismissed it with "so what", and then quickly fell on your sword and announced that you "spoke the truth!" OK, that's fine. Back it up with documentation. Nobody's saying that you have to be 100% accurate at all times. I'm not, but I accept the correction that others have presented and thanked them for clearing things up. You seem to feel like you've been backed into a corner and are now in a fight to survive. Turn around and look - there's no corner there!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.