Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,105 Posts
Several owners have reported the peeling of the black trim. It's called the "applique". I haven't read much about the shiny chrome/bright aluminum style trim- that is called "reveal molding". Replacement is the only solution I know of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Several owners have reported the peeling of the black trim. It's called the "applique". I haven't read much about the shiny chrome/bright aluminum style trim- that is called "reveal molding". Replacement is the only solution I know of.
other than chrome and aluminum is there black and you have a link of some sort?

·
Super Moderator
4,105 Posts
other than chrome and aluminum is there black and you have a link of some sort?
The black is the applique I referenced prior. Are you seeking links to the part or guide to replace?

The parts are shown in the diagram(s) here:
I recommend cross checking the part numbers with your GM parts counter to see who has the best price. Shipping from the GM dealer sites is usually steep and can close the parts counter gap.

The guide would be the service manual or a subscription to a service like alldatadiy.

·
Super Moderator
4,105 Posts
It is not required to replace the chrome piece but it does come off to replace the applique. My gut says when you remove the chrome piece it bends and will be hard to reuse. I have seen several cars with the faded applique but I can't recall a case of someone showing a before and after replacement. IMO it might introduce more issues taking apart what needs to be taken apart to properly replace it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thats an easy fix. Go on Ebay or Amazon and look up Malibu Pillar Post Covers and you'll have your choice of Glossy Piano black in Polycarbonate or in Vinyl decal form all lazer cut for perfect fit. I bought a set for another model and it lasted several yrs before fade in occurred but at under $30 bucks, you can't beat it especially when it slaps all 4 on in 30 minutes. (Wish everything was this easy)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine also has the trim issue on the passenger side, but YES on the inside trim. The silver trim around the top of the cup holders are starting to peel and will cut the heck outta your fingers!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts