Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I was going through a town of high winds and rain. The back top by the headrests started showing signs of leaking on the fabric. I called GM and it's not covered under warranty. I have extended warranty and that part is not covered. Is there anything I can do, like a diy sealing or something? I have an 2016 Malibu LT.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,533 Posts
The back top by the headrests started showing signs of leaking on the fabric.
You mean the headliner (the large interior piece on the inside of the roof) shows signs of water intrusion? Anything in the trunk? They confirmed it is the windshield not a leak from the rear upper brake light (Center High Mount Stop Lamp)? The CHMSL is a common faulty part that leaks on 2016-2017 Malibus. If it is the windshield, I would probably have a windshield company replace the windshield. My insurance company will cover a leaking/failed windshield seal just as they would a crack under Comprehensive coverage. DIY on windshield leak repairs doesn't have a great long term track record.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean the headliner (the large interior piece on the inside of the roof) shows signs of water intrusion? Anything in the trunk? They confirmed it is the windshield not a leak from the rear upper brake light (Center High Mount Stop Lamp)? The CHMSL is a common faulty part that leaks on 2016-2017 Malibus. If it is the windshield, I would probably have a windshield company replace the windshield. My insurance company will cover a leaking windshield just as they would a crack under Comprehensive coverage. DIY on windshield leak repairs doesn't have a great long term track record.
Thank you. And yes it is in the back but only on each side of those headrests, like the seal or something is only leaking in the corners of the back windshield.....

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,533 Posts
So you think water is entering at the top back of the windshield and traveling back along the headliner. This has been diagnosed or is it the suspicion? Any windshield can leak in time but this would be the first report on the forum. If the windshield was just the suspect I would look more closely at the CHMSL and for water in the trunk. If water enters at the CHMSL it runs toward the rear corners of the headliner and into the trunk and sometimes rear seat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's my suspicion....there was no water any where else but on those 2 side parts by the headrests....I was shocked too that the water would only be on those 2 sides and not anywhere else.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,533 Posts
It's my suspicion....there was no water any where else but on those 2 side parts by the headrests....I was shocked too that the water would only be on those 2 sides and not anywhere else.
OK, it is still possible it is the glass but as I said prior and TheSilverone added the rear upper brake light is more likely the cause. How many miles on this car? If under 72,000 miles make an appointment at a GM dealer citing it is leaking from the rear upper brake light. Don't mention windshield at all since that is just a guess. There is a program to fix that upper brake light (CHMSL) and any water damaged trim for free up to 72,000 miles. If over 72,000 you can try and DIY the repair using the guide in the bulletin linked below. You just need to order the new nuts/retainers and the gasket/insulator kit. In some cases the brake lamp itself must also be replaced but that seems less common.

Reactions: 24bics

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, it is still possible it is the glass but as I said prior and TheSilverone added the rear upper brake light is more likely the cause. How many miles on this car? If under 72,000 miles make an appointment at a GM dealer citing it is leaking from the rear upper brake light. Don't mention windshield at all since that is just a guess. There is a program to fix that upper brake light (CHMSL) and any water damaged trim for free up to 72,000 miles. If over 72,000 you can try and DIY the repair using the guide in the bulletin linked below. You just need to order the new nuts/retainers and the gasket/insulator kit. In some cases the brake lamp itself must also be replaced but that seems less common.

Purchased used a few years back and it's now over 75k due to some traveling so I'm guessing I'll still take it to a GM dealer to have fixed at my expense. Thanks for all the feedback/discussion....much appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Purchased used a few years back and it's now over 75k due to some traveling so I'm guessing I'll still take it to a GM dealer to have fixed at my expense. Thanks for all the feedback/discussion....much appreciated!
Purchased my '16 last year with 15k on the clock. CHMSL leaked within 2 months of purchase. Luckily was GM CPO so warranty covered the repair (gasket) but it's not a hard job to do yourself if you are mechanically inclined and careful. I was told it's common, as others have mentioned, and it's due to the hardware vibrating loose and/or the gasket material failing prematurely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A few weeks ago I was going through a town of high winds and rain. The back top by the headrests started showing signs of leaking on the fabric. I called GM and it's not covered under warranty. I have extended warranty and that part is not covered. Is there anything I can do, like a diy sealing or something? I have an 2016 Malibu LT.
How many miles are on your car,If it's over 72,000 miles they won't fix it,I had the same problem last year on my 2017 malibu ,I had less than 45,000 miles on it and it was covered under warranty,I also got a letter from General Motors about this issue and I called them up and they gave me a case number and they also sent it to the chevy dealer about it,I took it the next day and they fix the problem.It's not the back window it's the third brake light ,the 4 nuts that hold the light came loose. they replace the light and seal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also call the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-1020,they help me alot ,give them a call maybe they can help you with you problem,Good Luck.If they do get the dealer to fix it let me know

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,964 Posts
I echo the above comments if the car is under 60,000 miles it is under warranty.
The warranty is longer than 60K. Any reason you keep repeating 60 instead of 72?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,533 Posts
Instead of repeating the same thing already posted here several times, why don't we all just wait for the OP to return and update.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts