Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

I was driving my 2017 Malibu with 25k miles and I floored the car going up a hill and the service stabilitrak soon came on and check engine light was flashing. When I got home I ran the codes and discovered cylinder 3 misfire detected. Does this mean I have the piston issue?

1.5 LS Malibu

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
Based on the year, scenario of occurrence, lights/codes, yeah piston would be my guess. Of course it will require diagnosis. Your past posts indicate this was a used car purchase that was previously a rental. I don't think that is an exception to warranty or anything so should be fully covered. I'd make an appointment. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Based on the year, scenario of occurrence, lights/codes, yeah piston would be my guess. Of course it will require diagnosis. Your past posts indicate this was a used car purchase that was previously a rental. I don't think that is an exception to warranty or anything so should be fully covered. I'd make an appointment. Good luck.
It's seems to be running just fine for the past week or so. Do you think the piston could still be the culprit? (Note I did not get the reduced engine power message)

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
All you get is guesses based on provided info here. The symptoms of the piston failure in the gen9 1.5 and 2.0 are usually pretty similar. You don't always see engine power reduced with a piston crack. What you usually see is flashing CEL (often P0300), usually stabilitrak light, often rough idle and performance. Oil consumption usually increases, mpg reduces. You know you had a misfire: flashing CEL and code. What is unknown until confirmed via diagnosis is if that was a minor misfire or mega (l)spi boom and resulting damage. Based on all the factors listed in my last post, adding on having been a rental with those famous 10k oil changes, I'd guess piston. If the car is running fine you can keep driving and monitor but assuming warranty is valid I'd take the diagnosis and likely covered repair.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All you get is guesses based on provided info here. The symptoms of the piston failure in the gen9 1.5 and 2.0 are usually pretty similar. You don't always see engine power reduced with a piston crack. What you usually see is flashing CEL (often P0300), usually stabilitrak light, often rough idle and performance. Oil consumption usually increases, mpg reduces. You know you had a misfire: flashing CEL and code. What is unknown until confirmed via diagnosis is if that was a minor misfire or mega (l)spi boom and resulting damage. Based on all the factors listed in my last post, adding on having been a rental with those famous 10k oil changes, I'd guess piston. If the car is running fine you can keep driving and monitor but assuming warranty is valid I'd take the diagnosis and likely covered repair.
Thanks for the inforamtion I will take her in. The only issue now is that Check engine code is gone not sure if I accedentally cleared it or what. Will the code still be visible to the dealer?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got back from the dealer. They state "Misfire history in CYL 3 NO CURRENT" " Swapped coils and plugs" " Drove- No misfire". They told me it was just a "fluke" I guess time will tell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts