Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to work and was about 20 minutes into my drive when I had to stop for about 5 minutes for a train. The car has autostop so of course that kicked in.
Once I let my foot off the break to start driving again, it just shut off and nothing was working.

I went to start it again and all it did was click for about a minute. The Batter Saver Active message came on too along with the flashing check engine light.

I let it sit for a few minutes, then retried and it started

Is this a battery issue or electrical? I had this happen 2 other times but only would shut off for a few seconds then come back on...

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,741 Posts
Hello and welcome.

The battery saver message means systems have detected battery voltage dropping too low for necessary functions. The flashing check engine light indicates a more serious malfunction. Did the light continue flashing when you restarted the car?

Fault codes will need to be read. The cold weather may have also revealed a deteriorating or faulty battery. I'm not sure how many miles you have left on your warranty but you may consider a dealer visit. How many miles are on this car?

I have also moved this discussion to the generation 9 problem section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome.

The battery saver message means systems have detected battery voltage dropping too low for necessary functions. The flashing check engine light indicates a more serious malfunction. Did the light continue flashing when you restarted the car?

Fault codes will need to be read. The cold weather may have also revealed a deteriorating or faulty battery. I'm not sure how many miles you have left on your warranty but you may consider a dealer visit. How many miles are on this car?

I have also moved this discussion to the generation 9 problem section.
Got it.The engine light turned off once I was able to start it again and start driving. It only seems to happen when the auto start is activated.

The car has about 60k miles - out of the warranty window.
The weather has been colder out but not abnormally for this time of year.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,741 Posts
To get around auto stop until you get it checked and if necessary replaced, you can place the car in "L" and then use the toggle buttons to adjust to "L6". That will enable all six gears but disable Auto stop. The flashing check engine was probably due to the failing starts but usually indicates a misfire condition. I'd still check the fault codes using a scanner at a shop, AutoZone, etc.

Reactions: grafton

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To get around auto stop until you get it checked and if necessary replaced, you can place the car in "L" and then use the toggle buttons to adjust to "L6". That will enable all six gears but disable Auto stop. The flashing check engine was probably due to the failing starts but usually indicates a misfire condition. I'd still check the fault codes using a scanner at a shop, AutoZone, etc.
Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey everyone. I just started experiencing the same issues with my car. Was sitting on an intersection and watched my Voltage on my display and it was rapidly dropping. Auto Start kicked on and my car turned off for about five seconds before turning back on. Radio went out and actually took a full minute to come back on. I am confident it’s the battery. 17’ Malibu LT 39k Miles on it. Will provide update once Dealer had the vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone. I just started experiencing the same issues with my car. Was sitting on an intersection and watched my Voltage on my display and it was rapidly dropping. Auto Start kicked on and my car turned off for about five seconds before turning back on. Radio went out and actually took a full minute to come back on. I am confident it’s the battery. 17’ Malibu LT 39k Miles on it. Will provide update once Dealer had the vehicle.
Any update?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts