Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2017 malibu LS under 600 miles whenever my car has been sitting for a long period of time (overnight, or even while parked at work for about 5 hours) when i start my car the idle is really low and the car bucks for no more than a minute and once it warms up its fine, Does anyone else have this issue? or know what it is? Given it only happens for a such a short period of time and is only when the car has been sitting for a little while probably 4-5 hours or more its pretty annoying especially on a new vehicle...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a few issues with that as well. Are you running 87, 89, 91, or 93 octane fuel? I've switched to only running 93 and haven't had a issue with it since. Maybe someone else can go into the technicalities?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive been putting 89 in it but according to the manual it recommends 87...ill try putting higher octane in it and see what happens, What brand of gas do you use?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've only ran BP, Speedway, or Amstar. And yeah, the 1.5 is designed for 87, but so far I feel like it runs a ton better with the premium

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
It might just be fuel. Try a different station of a major brand like Mobil/Exxon, BP, Chevron, Shell. If it continues over a couple tanks it wouldn't hurt to mention it to your dealer and have them check it out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My one week old 2017 LS has none of those issues at 500 miles. Personally I'd take it to the dealer. Being brand new you have a complaint they need to jump on, especially if it's totally reproducible. Tell them they won't be able to check it until the following morning and ask for a loaner or rental for one day. If they balk go see the sales manager.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My one week old 2017 LS has none of those issues at 500 miles. Personally I'd take it to the dealer. Being brand new you have a complaint they need to jump on, especially if it's totally reproducible. Tell them they won't be able to check it until the following morning and ask for a loaner or rental for one day. If they balk go see the sales manager.
Im going to take it to the dealer this week sometime, i just put in a full tank of 76 91 octane and see if it makes a difference, but your lucky ive had a couple minor issues with mine its kinda annoying i got out of a 07 titan 109k miles to save on gas and maintenace and ive actually had more issue with this car than my old truck, apparently the TSB bulletin thats out there regarding the rattle under the hood for the 2017 malibu's effects my car. buyers remorse is starting to kick in :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've only ran BP, Speedway, or Amstar. And yeah, the 1.5 is designed for 87, but so far I feel like it runs a ton better with the premium
I agree the car runs a hell of a lot better im going to give it a couple full tanks of the 91 octane from 76 and if it still continues ill definitely take it to the dealer...ugh the struggle with cars!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a new 2017 malibu LS under 600 miles whenever my car has been sitting for a long period of time (overnight, or even while parked at work for about 5 hours) when i start my car the idle is really low and the car bucks for no more than a minute and once it warms up its fine, Does anyone else have this issue? or know what it is? Given it only happens for a such a short period of time and is only when the car has been sitting for a little while probably 4-5 hours or more its pretty annoying especially on a new vehicle...
It's the turbo the oil that passes through it needs to warm up before you put load on it if you dont bearings will go out and could also put it into reduced power mode

1 - 9 of 9 Posts