Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The check engine light keeps on coming on, the dealership replaced the MAF sensor, some sort of gasket, based on what they told me, they also check for vacuum leak, but the problem keeps on coming back. The car drives fine, not rough at all, and I don't have aftermarket parts. What else could be the problem? At this point I have spend so much money on this, I just want this fixed.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,742 Posts
Hello @hou199510 and welcome. I can't say I have seen this particular code reported in the forum before. Seems like the obvious stuff has been tried already. I'll search bulletins and see if I find anything your dealer might have missed. I'll get back to you.

EDIT - this is all I could find: looks like an uncommon code as there isn't much on the forum either. This bulletin references behavior of check engine light on OR reduced engine power accompanied with code P1101 or P015B. You have the CEL and P1101 so it should at least be checked. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10143779-9999.pdf

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,400 Posts
That's an emissions code. Isn't it covered under the Power Train warranty?

·
Registered
140 Posts
It could be wiring as well, if that wasn't inspected. Buried deep in the check steps is a battery ground continuity check.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem with my car! I've gotten my battery replaced and my light still keeps coming on. Did you get yours fixed hou199510? This may be a recall problem...

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,400 Posts
A month ago and no response from the OP. While they might stop by again, we see this a lot. "One and done."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late reply, this is still not fixed, another mechanic tried to fix this by replacing the air charge temp sensor, by the code came back immediately. I’m probably gonna go back to GM dealer in a few weeks

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,088 Posts
I am having the same problem with my car! I've gotten my battery replaced and my light still keeps coming on. Did you get yours fixed hou199510? This may be a recall problem...
Recalls are for safety issues, so don't hold your breath waiting for one. This also seems to be pretty rare.

P1101 is typically the MAF sensor itself going bad or the wiring/connector leading to it being faulty. Otherwise, it could be a problem with the air intake box or filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this issue for quite some time and finally cleared it up today. First pulled the air filter box and hose to clean the throttle body only to find that hose went straight to the turbo lol. I cleaned it up anyway then had a good laugh trying to find the throttle body. Found that on the top of the engine towards the rear and center. Large black air hose goes to the top of it. Use a flat head to pull the clip back towards the passenger side while pulling up on the hose. Clean that real good with throttle body cleaner and rags. Shine the butterfly up a bit and get rid of that black grime on both sides of it (careful not to open it with a flat head cause you could scratch it). Put it back together and let the car warm up. Turn it off, then after a few minutes go for a ride. The light should go off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had this issue for quite some time and finally cleared it up today. First pulled the air filter box and hose to clean the throttle body only to find that hose went straight to the turbo lol. I cleaned it up anyway then had a good laugh trying to find the throttle body. Found that on the top of the engine towards the rear and center. Large black air hose goes to the top of it. Use a flat head to pull the clip back towards the passenger side while pulling up on the hose. Clean that real good with throttle body cleaner and rags. Shine the butterfly up a bit and get rid of that black grime on both sides of it (careful not to open it with a flat head cause you could scratch it). Put it back together and let the car warm up. Turn it off, then after a few minutes go for a ride. The light should go off.
I will speak to my mechanics next time I’m there, hopefully this fix the issue, I still have 6 years worth of loan to pay off on that thing lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
I kept having the same code come up. I switched air filters, replaced all the screws (I was missing 3), replaced the sensor & it was still coming on. So my BF cleaned up the throttle body too & it fixed it right away. He said it wasnt even that dirty so the sensor must be really sensitive.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,742 Posts
@Venessa BF cleaned the throttle body on a 1.5T? It's not the most convenient location up there on the back middle of the engine. Dude's a keeper! Nice work!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I kept having the same code come up. I switched air filters, replaced all the screws (I was missing 3), replaced the sensor & it was still coming on. So my BF cleaned up the throttle body too & it fixed it right away. He said it wasnt even that dirty so the sensor must be really sensitive.
Do you guys know where the throttle is located?

·
Registered
2017 Malibu LT
2 Posts
I tried to pull the clip back with a screwdriver but it didn't want to move any suggestions

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried to pull the clip back with a screwdriver but it didn't want to move any suggestions
The clip should move easily. If it is tough to pull you may be tugging at the wrong clip? I would suggest pulling up a YouTube video on it to see if you are on the right track. However my issue came back. I will post below.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So my error kept coming back on until one day (2 hours from home) my power brakes went out. Limping the car back home I discovered there was no vaccum in my system. Looking into this I discovered that the ENTIRE vacuum runs off of one single pump. This includes the brakes, pcv, etc. The issue all along was the vacuum pump going bad until it finally broke. Since replacing the pump I have not had any issues.
Hope this helps someone out there.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu LT
2 Posts
So my error kept coming back on until one day (2 hours from home) my power brakes went out. Limping the car back home I discovered there was no vaccum in my system. Looking into this I discovered that the ENTIRE vacuum runs off of one single pump. This includes the brakes, pcv, etc. The issue all along was the vacuum pump going bad until it finally broke. Since replacing the pump I have not had any issues.
Hope this helps someone out there.
my brakes and everything work fine it's just if he 1101 I replaced the mass airflow sensor twice because I thought it was a faulty one please help me out here and what do I type in on YouTube to find this video

With punctuation:
My brakes and everything work fine. It's just the P1101. I replaced the mass airflow sensor twice because I thought it was a faulty one. Please help me out here, and what do I type in on YouTube to find this video?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am at the dealer now with the same problem. Turns out there is a bulletin for this on 2017 Chevy Malibu LT. It's a special tube they need to order

1 - 20 of 21 Posts