Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently had my check Engine light come on, with the P1101 code which has to do with a mass airflow sensor or the air generated to the engine, I have switched the mass airflow sensor and put in a new K&N filter. The check engine light is still coming on do we know what else it could be?

· Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,577 Posts
Discussion moved from Auto Industry/News to gen9.

Which engine? There is a bulletin for some possible P1101 faults with or without a small front or rear oil leak here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10178968-9999.pdf

If I had to guess based on the info provided I would say dirty throttle body thanks to the K&N. Good luck.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

· Premium Member
1,419 Posts
did you clear the code after changing the MAF sensor and adding the K&N???...was your OEM MAF sensor bad or just dirty???...did you change it to a new one and was that new one an OEM MAF sensor???...have you tried removing the K&N and using an OEM paper filter to see if the code goes away???...low hanging fruit to try first.

Good luck,

Bill

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cleaned the filter again and replaced the MAF Sensor with an OEM MAF sensor. I squeezed the wire connection tight and the code disappeared. I feel it may have something to do with the wire connection.

· Premium Member
1,419 Posts
sometimes the concern with an oil impregnated air filter is there may be too much oil on the filter and that coats the thin filament wire used by your MAF...this is a cause for the MAF sensor not getting the reading it requires for smooth operation...

you may be over cleaning your K&N and leaving too much oil on the filter element

connections of the MAF sensors connections will also be important...connections should be clean and tight

good luck with your ride

Bill

· Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,577 Posts
Reactions: SilverSport

· Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,627 Posts
Ditch the K&N filter. The increased power is negligible at best, cut your losses and put an OEM style filter back in.

The more you learn about K&N or oiled filters in general you'll come to understand that K&N's claims are ridiculous and that no daily driver vehicle should use an oiled filter. They let in FAR more dirt, this has been proven both in air filtration tests and engine oil examinations.

More dirt = increased wear and tear. Does that matter on a low mileage weekend sports car? Maybe not. Does it matter if you hope to get 150,000 miles out of a daily driver? Absolutely yes.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,010 Posts
Just to prove that we're not biased for or against oiled air filters, check out this video from a non-sponsored YouTuber called Project Farm:

Pay special attention to the graphs starting around 13:56!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ditch the K&N filter. The increased power is negligible at best, cut your losses and put an OEM style filter back in.

The more you learn about K&N or oiled filters in general you'll come to understand that K&N's claims are ridiculous and that no daily driver vehicle should use an oiled filter. They let in FAR more dirt, this has been proven both in air filtration tests and engine oil examinations.

More dirt = increased wear and tear. Does that matter on a low mileage weekend sports car? Maybe not. Does it matter if you hope to get 150,000 miles out of a daily driver? Absolutely yes.
I have an original OEM filter coming in tomorrow and plan on putting it back in. I have cleaned the throttle body and the MAF sensor tonight on 12/02/20202.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to prove that we're not biased for or against oiled air filters, check out this video from a non-sponsored YouTuber called Project Farm:

This video was a huge help and explained a lot about filter comparisons. I switched out my K&N filter with a wiz OEM style filter and the light has yet to come one again. Overall I think it must have been the style Air Filter that was in the car.

Pay special attention to the graphs starting around 13:56!
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to assist and help me with this project. It has been very informative, knowledgeable and helpful. Thank you once again to all!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.