Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2017 2.0 turbo with 171,000km on the clock. Had a couple issues over the years but minor stuff like bad shifter and a leak. This morning I was driving and hit the brake and it was making an antilock sound but pavement was completely dry. Stopped fine. Engine light came on. I stopped into Lordco and they scanned code P0014 and P0556. The brake pedal is now firm but it still stops. The engine runs fine but I hear an erratic rattle like theres a stone kicking around in there. I made an appointment at my dealer but they can't get it in until next Thursday. Any ideas folks?

Checked oil seems fine
oil changes every 12000km
filter and box are good and tight
brakes are original
trans service done at 80000km and 160000km

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,378 Posts
This could be a sensor. Unfortunately, more likely, you've got a failed vacuum pump. It is a pump attached to the driver side-top of the engine. You can see it under the long pipe (charge air pipe) that runs from the front of the engine compartment to the back.

Sometimes the pump fails and you just replace it and move on. Other times when oil is low it gets dry and busts apart. I've seen a few reports of vacuum pump failure in the 1.5 but only 1 prior report of the 2.0. The symptoms are similar to what you report and codes make sense. The bad news is the stone you hear is probably part(s) of the pump broken into your camshaft area. The exhaust camshaft could be damaged and/or parts are busted in there giving you the P0014 code. You have to replace the pump and clean out the camshaft cover area. Hope for the sensor but prepare for the worst.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This could be a sensor. Unfortunately, more likely, you've got a failed vacuum pump. It is a pump attached to the driver side-top of the engine. You can see it under the long pipe (charge air pipe) that runs from the front of the engine compartment to the back.

Sometimes the pump fails and you just replace it and move on. Other times when oil is low it gets dry and busts apart. I've seen a few reports of vacuum pump failure in the 1.5 but only 1 prior report of the 2.0. The symptoms are similar to what you report and codes make sense. The bad news is the stone you hear is probably part(s) of the pump broken into your camshaft area. The exhaust camshaft could be damaged and/or parts are busted in there giving you the P0014 code. You have to replace the pump and clean out the camshaft cover area. Hope for the sensor but prepare for the worst.

Good luck.
You were right. I'm sitting in the dealer waiting area right now. The guy and a tech came back to tell me the pressure vaccum pump has failed. The pump and a seal and the tube need to be replaced. They estimated 500 to fix it. They think the noise I hear is internal to the pressure vaccum pump. Is this price fair or high?

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
I'm glad it's just the pump and hope they are right about the noise. If you order the parts between certain online websites and DIY it is about $100. Being at the dealer, you have to pay GM list price and labor. The price is fair. The GM list is $120 for the pump, 15 for the pipe, 10 for the seal. My best guess of 2 hours of labor is approximately $280. That gets it to $425. In canadian dollar that is pretty close to the 500 estimate. Let us know how it comes out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm glad it's just the pump and hope they are right about the noise. If you order the parts between certain online websites and DIY it is about $100. Being at the dealer, you have to pay GM list price and labor. The price is fair. The GM list is $120 for the pump, 15 for the pipe, 10 for the seal. My best guess of 2 hours of labor is approximately $280. That gets it to $425. In canadian dollar that is pretty close to the 500 estimate. Let us know how it comes out.
They called and said there were a few broken pieces just inside the engine and they were able to clean them out. Car is ready by 3 today. I'll update after I drive a couple days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm once again back in the waiting area. I got the call to pick up. When I got in the car it idled strange. I pulled out with no lights on and drove about 3 minutes before the check engine light came back on and I still hear the rattling. They said the tech drove it 10 miles and everything was fine. It isn't. This is frustrating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I need some help. The tech confirmed the same code is present and they are seeing some misfires. They now think pieces are stuck deeper in the engine and need to pull the cover off which takes 4 hours. The estimate is a minimum of $1500 but could be higher depending on how bad the damage is. The said they will refund the labor of the pump replacement against the cost of the repair. Can I drive this car without doing all this? What can happen with a P0014 code long term? Is there a recall on this? Is this even right? How can a braking issue have anything to do with major engine problems its two different systems! HELP!

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
I'm sorry to read that. That would be the "worst" I mentioned in post 2. These reports have been increasing for the last year and the behavior is usually the same. The outcome is usually not very good. I don't believe I have read a case of successful cleanup yet. The problem is the pieces go all over.

I'll try to answer your questions:
You can drive the car but it may not last long. You've got pieces of a metal part swimming around inside the camshaft cover. Those pieces scrape and get stuck in oil passages and reduce oil flow. Also you mentioned poor idle a couple posts ago and misfires in your last post which won't work.

No recall. Maybe someday a program with some reimbursement but unknown. This forum has only seen a dozen cases or so.

It is two different systems but they work together. The brakes use a brake booster. The brake booster does about what it says - it boosts or amplifies your push on the brake pedal to increase brake performance. To do this it needs vacuum from the intake manifold but since your turbo car can't always provide what it needs you have a vacuum pump attached to the exhaust camshaft. When the pump fails or starts to fail you get inconsistent booster performance which in turn freaks out the ABS. That's the simple explanation best as I can type it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a call this morning and its decision time. They opened the engine and found more broken stuff. They think they can get it all out but can't guarantee it. The cost for the tear down replacement parts and cleaning is $1900 after reducing the labor 300 from the previous work. The repair has no warranty and is not guaranteed. The other option is replacing the engine for 7500. They won't charge for the previous work if I do this. If I get the new engine it comes with a 160,000km warranty. If they just put it back together and I still have problems I am just out the money and have to look at a new engine anyway. What the hell am I supposed to do?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got a call this morning and its decision time. They opened the engine and found more broken stuff. They think they can get it all out but can't guarantee it. The cost for the tear down replacement parts and cleaning is $1900 after reducing the labor 300 from the previous work. The repair has no warranty and is not guaranteed. The other option is replacing the engine for 7500. They won't charge for the previous work if I do this. If I get the new engine it comes with a 160,000km warranty. If they just put it back together and I still have problems I am just out the money and have to look at a new engine anyway. What the hell am I supposed to do?
Only you know how much you can afford-IMO $7500 even though 4 times more than $1900 potentially get another 7-10 years out of the car- it’s worth it. (Presuming your tranny lasts) You could repair 4 more times essentially but still have a used engine-on the other hand the repair could be successful saving $ for future issues-I hope it works out

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I made a call to GM and got nowhere. I gambled and negotiated the clean out down to $1400 and had them seal it back up. I drove about 8km and the code came back on. I went to autozone bought my own code reader then drove to a different car dealership cleared the code shut off the car and went in and bought a new car. I told them it was throwing a code for the exhaust camshaft performance. They started it up checked the odometer took it back to their shop and 15 minutes later gave me blue book for it. Huge relief. Thanks for all the advice and help its been real.

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
The vacuum pump takes 10 minutes to replace. I replaced mine as part of preventative maintenance
My little 1.5 is just under 110k and I decided to also replace the vacuum pump. Seems like cheap, easy preventative. I have a question about the design. The part that spins to align for installation (see 1 and green arrows in attached picture) not only turns as expected/necessary but slides in and out (red arrow) about a quarter inch as well. Was your replacement pump the same way? I wouldn't want to install something that is broken and cause the very problem I want to avoid. Thanks in advance if you happen to remember. Or anyone else for that matter.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
My little 1.5 is just under 110k and I decided to also replace the vacuum pump. Seems like cheap, easy preventative. I have a question about the design. The part that spins to align for installation (see 1 and green arrows in attached picture) not only turns as expected/necessary but slides in and out (red arrow) about a quarter inch as well. Was your replacement pump the same way? I wouldn't want to install something that is broken and cause the very problem I want to avoid. Thanks in advance if you happen to remember. Or anyone else for that matter.
It rotates and moves in and out slightly to account for camshaft variance. When I replaced the pump on my 2018 Premier it was just like that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts