Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Malibu Premier 2.0T
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am having some electrical issues with my Malibu.

1st: Daytime is fine but at night, my lights are turning on and off from daytime to nighttime and its annoying, especially for the ambient lighting on the inside. But this issue is for the headlights too, so pretty unsafe at night when my headlights turn off. I have to use the manual headlight setting, but unfortunately it doesn't affect the interior ambient lights.

2nd: Malibu is having a hard time detecting a key fob sometimes, have had to use the key fob pocket in the car a few times.

3rd: When I turn the car off, most of the time it will take a few seconds to turn off the engine, but it will switch into the ignition being on instead of completely turning off the engine.

Any insight that anyone has an any of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,239 Posts
1) Just in the last few days another member reported this exact same thing. Light sensor issue - it's in the front center of the dash.

2) fob battery, interference, or receiver in car going out

3) does it say any message on the DIC? It sounds like the shift to park issue but might not be with no mention of that message.

EDIT - I went to check into the other member's light sensor post and figured it out. The other member was you! I closed that other thread to focus responses here.

Reactions: jeffk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) Just in the last few days another member reported this exact same thing. Light sensor issue - it's in the front center of the dash.

2) fob battery, interference, or receiver in car going out

3) does it say any message on the DIC? It sounds like the shift to park issue but might not be with no mention of that message.

EDIT - I went to check into the other member's light sensor post and figured it out. The other member was you! I closed that other thread to focus responses here.
Okay so I will check the fob battery first chance I get, and no the ignition light will just go from green to orange, then I will press it again and it will turn completely off, but I did recently started getting the shift to park message on the display.

can I get a replacement part from Chevy for the light sensor? I’ve done some looking online, but could only find sensors for other cars, none that fit my Malibu.

Also, thank you for the reply and feedback

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
The engine turning off but electronics staying on is related to the shift to park message. The shifter knows it is in P but the body control module and ECM aren't getting the message. The behavior is a little different - usually you have to wiggle the shifter, click the trigger, shift out of P and back in. But, what can break can break multiple ways no doubt. It is probably the most common of all gen9 problems.

The light sensor is available at your local dealer. They may have to order it and it would be $40-50 if my price list is current. You can get it from rockauto for $32 shipped but you still need to check the part number with your local GM parts counter. I have it being 13529379 but I am only 80% sure on that part number. Maybe 90%. Either way I'd want to have it in hand to check the tabs to see how it releases from the dash before trying to pry it out. Looks like simple tabs in the picture (see attached). You could also have a scanner hooked up to see what error is tossing in the BCM but for a $40 sensor I'd just gamble since it has been the causes for a couple others.

Attachments

Reactions: jeffk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engine turning off but electronics staying on is related to the shift to park message. The shifter knows it is in P but the body control module and ECM aren't getting the message. The behavior is a little different - usually you have to wiggle the shifter, click the trigger, shift out of P and back in. But, what can break can break multiple ways no doubt. It is probably the most common of all gen9 problems.

The light sensor is available at your local dealer. They may have to order it and it would be $40-50 if my price list is current. You can get it from rockauto for $32 shipped but you still need to check the part number with your local GM parts counter. I have it being 13529379 but I am only 80% sure on that part number. Maybe 90%. Either way I'd want to have it in hand to check the tabs to see how it releases from the dash before trying to pry it out. Looks like simple tabs in the picture (see attached). You could also have a scanner hooked up to see what error is tossing in the BCM but for a $40 sensor I'd just gamble since it has been the causes for a couple others.
Thanks man! I will look into getting this work done. I appreciate all the feedback you gave me!

·
Registered
80 Posts
1st: Daytime is fine but at night, my lights are turning on and off from daytime to nighttime and its annoying, especially for the ambient lighting on the inside. But this issue is for the headlights too, so pretty unsafe at night when my headlights turn off. I have to use the manual headlight setting, but unfortunately it doesn't affect the interior ambient lights.
I had this happen on my 2018 Premier. I took out the sensor and blew some compressed air over it and it was ok for about 2 weeks. It started doing it again so I replaced it and everything has been fine since.

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
This thread took a funny turn with "netflix boy". I'm not sure if that is meant as an insult but if it is... knock it off @jeffk. Still sorta funny.

@Jarebare2 I watched your video and yes I would guess the ambient light sensor malfunction would be about like that. My main concern is why it doesn't default to night mode on headlights and day mode on interior lights when it malfunctions. But then again if it is malfunctioning it might not know what to do with itself because its, you know, malfunctioning. In your case @Jarebare2, the element of the service airbag also popping would make me wonder about the battery. I was close to mentioning battery to the OP but restrained as the other issues are known issues and it could just be an all at once. Nothing else indicates battery. In your case, service airbag is an oddity and I would wonder about age of the battery. As a general rule, if your battery is at least 3 years old and you are getting electrical oddities just replace it. Worst case scenario you have done some good maintenance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.