Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Malibu Premier with the 2 liter and 9 speed transmission. I have a long commute and have 68,000 miles on the car. Last week I was at a stop light 2 blocks from work and he car wouldn't go. I hit the accelerator the car made a thump then just revved. I put it in park back in drive and it went. At the next stop it stopped and just revved. I tried everything. Different modes, turning off, nothing would make it go. I had to have it towed at one of he busiest intersections in the city (Brooklyn). A real POS imo.

It was at the dealer for 2 days they called and said it needed a new valve assembly, some solenoid valve body, and a couple other things. $1600!!!! Is that serious? Does anyone else know the appropriate cost? How can a car like this fail so bad it can't even go at 68000? And to top it off they said they can't guarantee the work will prevent the problem from reoccurring since GM hasn't figured out the problem yet. I called another dealer with he estimate and they said oh yeah we've been seeing that feel free to bring it in.

HELP!!!!!!

·
Administrator
17,112 Posts
Ask them why the power train warranty doesn't cover it...

·
Administrator
17,112 Posts
I thought it was longer than that! Wow, I'm sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I now see there are a few other owners on here experiencing the same thing all with the 2017 Premier and 9 speed. I guess more expensive and newer isn't better. Maybe GM will start a special coverage program and reimburse someday. They said the repair would be covered for 12000 miles or one year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did get the transmission service. My dealer recommended at 30,000 though. I didn't have it done again at 60,000.

I was given a Spark as a loaner since the parts are on back order.

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
I am sorry to read of this... unfortunately there are many reports of this on here now. There are several other threads... HERE is another lengthy one with many reports. Someone I know had the same repair performed last month under warranty on his 2017 Premier. I do recommend pushing a little at the dealer since this seems to be a known issue (there is a TSB) on the brand new 9-speed. If you can't get what you feel is fair you might also contact the customer care and discuss the issue, tsb, and various other reports online. My fairness detector thinks GM should cover this at 68k since you are basically beta testing for them. At least split the cost. They obviously aren't required to as 60k is 60k and new GM is new GM.

·
Registered
484 Posts
At a minimum JBolster, if you do get it repaired (no matter where), hold onto your receipts. I've seen GM retroactively extend individual component warranties to 10 yrs./100k quite often. A lot of the first few year 2.4L direct injected 4 cylinder engines (used in the Equinox/Terrain and many other GM vehicles) had the timing chains and high pressure fuel pumps get such extended warranties. We had several letters from GM extended warranties on such high dollar items in the last few years (my wife has a 2010 'Nox and we had both timing chain and HP fuel pump issues during the regular 3 yr. warranty).

It's cold comfort right now but since the TSB documents exactly what you experienced AND we're hearing of more owners having your exact failure I would not be surprised to see such a warranty extension in the pipeline.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The last 3 gm vehicles I own had transmission problems except one, 2014 Impala LTZ the new body design. I traded that car in for a fully loaded 17 Malibu premier, car now only has 6,000 miles with no problems. I find this problem totally unacceptable coming from the NEW GM. As I told my wife if Ihave problems with the transmission on this new Impala this will be my last GM car, but since that car was flawless onto the new Malibu premier. That still holds true with this car, there's no excuse to have that kind of problem on a $37,000 especially when you're following all the maintenance routines.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Um, welcome to automatic transmissions. Sorry for the cost, but 60k miles is not horrible.

Had you already changed the fluid? I do on my vehicles every 40-60k miles.

I have an Avalanche, with 180k miles. The tranny died at 140. On my ‘95 Jimmy, I still had the original transmission in when I sold it at 190k.

On the other hand, the clutch in my 2000 Jetta tdi died at 240k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
Um, welcome to automatic transmissions. Sorry for the cost, but 60k miles is not horrible.

Had you already changed the fluid? I do on my vehicles every 40-60k miles.
I am not sure why you would comment (especially to minimize) without reading the thread.

Just curious, Did you get your 45,000 mile service done on the Trans??
<br>
<br>
I did get the transmission service. My dealer recommended at 30,000 though. I didn&apos;t have it done again at 60,000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue, with only 4,800 miles, 2017 premier... It is a known problem GM has. There is actually metal shavings from the factory in the valve body, transmission. Valve body and Selanoids (sp?) needed replaced, and entire tranmission flushed. The car was with the dealer for two months..GM did not have the replacement parts. They almost repurchased my car back but the parts came in, just in time..

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
I had the same issue, with only 4,800 miles, 2017 premier... It is a known problem GM has. There is actually metal shavings from the factory in the valve body, transmission. Valve body and Selanoids (sp?) needed replaced, and entire tranmission flushed. The car was with the dealer for two months..GM did not have the replacement parts. They almost repurchased my car back but the parts came in, just in time..
Welcome @Cavymomma. Sorry to read of the early transmission failure. Hopefully inconvenience wasn't too extreme at the moment it puked. Good news, it happened under warranty and GM took care of it. Assuming you were given hassle-free comparable loaner it seems GM continues to adequately handle this issue for those under warranty.

Let us know the results of the repair after a week or two. So far all those receiving the repair continue on problem free.

·
Administrator
17,112 Posts
+1 on hearing that your transmission is covered!

Also would like to hear back on how it goes after a couple weeks and maybe even after an extended time. As @campb292 says, so far so good. Let's hope that yours continues the tradition of problem-free repairs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! I got my car back January 31, ironically the same date the TSB is dated...There are two TSBs on this issue...
So far I have not had any additional issues. GM customer care was at times a pill to deal with, in the end it worked out.. I got GM to give me two payments back since I did not have my car.. Sad though this happens with a new car...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think my 2017 Malibu Premier 2.0T is starting to do this same thing with the acting like it's in neutral after a complete stop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 9-speed transmission in our 2017 Premier 2.0T with 13500 miles slipped for a second when starting out from a stop and then "grabbed" and took off. It seemed ok at the next few lights until we got home when there was a strong jerk as it went into park. I guess it's off to the dealer. I read where Consumer Reports was not recommending the Malibu in 2018 due to transmission problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 9 speed transmission was introduced in 2016. It is great invention with the only issue being the solenoid pack inside it. My transmission was fixed and so far is shifting better than new. From what I've read the issue surfaces at around 10 K miles so warranty covers it. If you car is having the "slipping" issue from a dead stop it is probably the solenoid pack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 9 speed transmission was introduced in 2016. It is great invention with the only issue being the solenoid pack inside it. My transmission was fixed and so far is shifting better than new. From what I've read the issue surfaces at around 10 K miles so warranty covers it. If you car is having the "slipping" issue from a dead stop it is probably the solenoid pack.
Question: should we expect to see an error light on the dash when the slipping happens?

I called the dealer and they're reluctant to have me bring it in unless there's an "error light" on the dash or I'm fairly confident that they can duplicate the slipping. So far I've noticed it 4 times in maybe 40-50 stops so I'm going to keep driving it. Hopefully it won't leave us stranded like I've read above.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts