Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 9-speed transmission in our 2017 Premier 2.0T with 13500 miles slipped for a second when starting out from a stop and then "grabbed" and took off.

Update: The transmission slipping happened again today and the Check Engine light came on. I immediately started for the dealer. Something new: When I got on the freeway, it wouldn't shift into higher gears and it was showing roughly 4000 rpm at 40 mph. When I got off the freeway a couple miles later, everything was back to normal as far as the shifting goes. The light stayed on. When I got to the dealer, their transmission guy was gone so I left it and they'll check it out tomorrow.

Not too happy about all this. :frown:

·
Registered
6 Posts
To the question about the "check engine" light coming on - Yes the transmission will get to the point that the check engine light comes on. Mine stayed on for a couple of days and went out again. But that is what is helpful at the dealer as they can still retrieve the codes. There are two codes that show up ( I don't have them memorized)

UPDATE: To the other poster about the 9 speed starting in 2017. Yes it was the 2017 Premier that had the 9 speed transmission. That might explain the First Year Glitches.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To the question about the "check engine" light coming on - Yes the transmission will get to the point that the check engine light comes on. Mine stayed on for a couple of days and went out again. But that is what is helpful at the dealer as they can still retrieve the codes. There are two codes that show up ( I don't have them memorized)

UPDATE: To the other poster about the 9 speed starting in 2017. Yes it was the 2017 Premier that had the 9 speed transmission. That might explain the First Year Glitches.
Our problem seems to be resolved: The Check Engine light came on due to the the slipping when starting out from a stop. The dealer found codes P0700 and p2820 which relate to the transmission and transmission solenoid and also bulletin 18-na-081 which called for a TCM reprogram. That was 6 days ago and it has been running correctly since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With the dealer finding the two codes P0700 and P2820 relating to the transmission solenoids and the dealer only reprogramed the computer? Was the transmission worked on or the solenoid pack changed out ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
With the dealer finding the two codes P0700 and P2820 relating to the transmission solenoids and the dealer only reprogramed the computer? Was the transmission worked on or the solenoid pack changed out ?

They said it only required the reprogram. That's also all that's on the work order copy that I was given. So far the problem hasn't returned.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 9-speed has started recently to shift hard into what I think is 3rd gear... Of course no codes and dealer will never replicate because they don't know how smooth this trans shifts normally.....25K miles

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 9-speed has started recently to shift hard into what I think is 3rd gear... Of course no codes and dealer will never replicate because they don't know how smooth this trans shifts normally.....25K miles
Let us know what happens. Had the car been in for service recently? (I'm always suspicious that something was done such as updates applied to the computer. We had another GM in the 2000s that had something like 8 re-programs applied over the 3 years trying to solve a stalling problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Unfortunately your going to have to wait until your check engine light comes on before your dealership will take any action. I had this problem but no check engine light it took a while but it finally came on and when it did I contacted on- star and got a in car self Diagnostics and had them send me an e- mail with the codes. Mine was so bad I had no reverse, the dealership did a recalibration of the transmission and I had no problem ever since, the code you want is P2820

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2017 Premier has the same revving and jerking issue, and the same P2820 code (Checked with a ODB scanner).

In Canada the (limited) powertrain warranty is 160k and im at 61k, so we'll see if its covered 1k out of base warranty or inside the limited powertrain.

Goes into the shop tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update:

Was just the software update for the transmission, like the TSB says.
Only cost the price of the diagnose fee ~$135 CAD. Not covered under powertrain

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you are under the mileage for your power train warranty everything should have been cover and not not cost you one cent. I had too get my Malibu premier transmission recalibrated just two weeks ago and everything was fully covered, no charge. I hate that when some dealership's try to take advantage of there customers. If there still trying to bill you for this , call GM or take it to another dealership.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Update:

Was just the software update for the transmission, like the TSB says.
Only cost the price of the diagnose fee ~$135 CAD. Not covered under powertrain
As others have stated, unless the Canadian warranty is different than the US one (unlikely), then that dealer is robbing you. Any powertrain issues are covered 100% by the extended powertrain warranty including any diagnostics. Go back to your documentation (owner's manual and/or warranty booklet) and read it for any caveats that exempt diagnostic charges, it's likely not in there.

If it's not, then call the dealership and demand the money back. If that doesn't work, if you paid via credit card call the card company and challenge the charge then call GM. I am so sick of dealerships ripping off customers like this, I've had it happen to me a few times and it just angers me. dealerships don't like being despised and considered liars but the perception will never go away until things like this stop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update: The transmission slipping happened again today and the Check Engine light came on. I immediately started for the dealer. Something new: When I got on the freeway, it wouldn't shift into higher gears and it was showing roughly 4000 rpm at 40 mph. When I got off the freeway a couple miles later, everything was back to normal as far as the shifting goes. The light stayed on. When I got to the dealer, their transmission guy was gone so I left it and they'll check it out tomorrow.

Not too happy about all this. :frown:
I've heard of this problem & now I'm a victim. 10K on '17 Premier. I think the precipitating factor was when I had to accelerate & then brake quickly. Trans got confused & next thing I've got the engine light & couldn't accelerate without high RPMs (4K at 40 mph like you). Was on vacation & got lucky with Chevy dealer who took pity. Two hrs. later & a reprogramming got me fixed (P2820 error code). Hope the fix sticks but GM should recall the 9 speed for a reprogram at least before somebody gets killed. It could have been hairy in my case & maybe others were not so lucky.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Count me in. 2017 Premier with 41k. The issue got worse and worse over the last week, it was like the car was in neutral when at a stop, and would slam into gear after pressing the accelerator. Monday I put it into reverse, and it did it then. Last night driving home it threw a CEL. P2820 and P0700. Uninstalled the Trifecta tune, which cleared the codes. Started to drive to work today, and on the highway it would not get past a gear(4th?), so at 40mph it was running 4000 rpms and the CEL came on. I drove to my dealer, who has already pulled the pan and found metal shavings. The service adviser was waiting to hear from GM on what the next step is, either rebuild or replace the Transmission. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add my 2017 Malibu Premier to the list as well. It happened back in June when I was 2k past bumper to bumper warranty. They took my car for a week and couldn't find anything/didn't do anything to it, yet the issue magically went away until about 2 weeks ago. Now it has been in the shop for a week and they claim a TCM reprogram/update and flush should fix it. What pisses me off is they are trying to say the TCM update isn't covered under the powertrain warranty... It sounds like there is a good handful of people here that experienced the same free rev/catch issue. Any idea if there has been any escalation with GM to push for a recall or anything? I had this happen in high speed traffic when visiting Chicago and it set me into a safety mode that slowed me way down out of nowhere with no place to pull off. It could have led to a serious accident if the person behind me wasn't 3-4 car lengths back.

·
Registered
114 Posts
They kept it for a week on mine and it ended up taking only one hour of labor time that they charged GM...Im keeping the invoice so when it happened out of warranty, I know what the real charge should be...like $150...

21 - 38 of 38 Posts