Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having brake issues , the vaccum pump isn't making vaccum . The car runs fine so I don't believe there's any damage to the cam . Think I can get by with just swapping out the pump myself ? Looks simple enough , no special.tools needed , so I can see taking it to the dealership , it's out of warranty

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,453 Posts
If you pop the tube that runs from the vacuum pump to the booster at the vacuum pump end does it make a pop? If not it is weak/broken/probably leaking. If it is completely out and booster can't get any vacuum the sensor should go off so maybe it is on the way out. You can definitely change it out diy. I just did mine a week or two ago. I can assist with steps on the 1.5 if that's what you have... but it is pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you pop the tube that runs from the vacuum pump to the booster at the vacuum pump end does it make a pop? If not it is weak/broken/probably leaking. If it is completely out and booster can't get any vacuum the sensor should go off so maybe it is on the way out. You can definitely change it out diy. I just did mine a week or two ago. I can assist with steps on the 1.5 if that's what you have... but it is pretty straightforward.
. Yep it's the 1.5 by what I've read up on it so far it's definitely a weak spot in the design . I've got a low brake psi sensor alarm code . I'll pop the line lose in the am and check for vaccum . Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
. Yep it's the 1.5 by what I've read up on it so far it's definitely a weak spot in the design . I've got a low brake psi sensor alarm code . I'll pop the line lose in the am and check for vaccum . Thanks
I popped the hose off the vaccum pump , there is just a barely detectable vaccum on the outlet of the pump . How much is normally there ? I'd think quite a bit , but It couldn't have been more than a couple of inches of vaccum ( no guage ) at the most

·
Super Moderator
3,453 Posts
I popped the hose off the vaccum pump , there is just a barely detectable vaccum on the outlet of the pump . How much is normally there ? I'd think quite a bit , but It couldn't have been more than a couple of inches of vaccum ( no guage ) at the most
Its not a wild amount, when I checked mine there was just a light pop when removing the tube. I didn't gauge it or anything... enough to pull a piece of paper down but not enough to suck your finger in up to your wrist and carve it off. Looking at mine I could see how it might gunk up and starve. The oil passages are small. Mine was in pretty good shape I just replaced it preventatively after reading of sporadic but expensive issues on other 1.5 and 2.0s.

On mine I took out the battery, popped the charge air tube off the throttle body then off with the charge air tube support bracket, 3 pump bolts, take pump off, the gasket on mine stuck to the valve cover so hard to pry that up, align the new pump to the camshaft (use the old as a guide) bolt down to 11 lb-ft 1st pass then 18 lb-ft next pass. You might be able to do it without taking out the battery but I like room to work and look around. You can also replace the o seal if it is in bad shape. Mine needed a little clean up but was fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its not a wild amount, when I checked mine there was just a light pop when removing the tube. I didn't gauge it or anything... enough to pull a piece of paper down but not enough to suck your finger in up to your wrist and carve it off. Looking at mine I could see how it might gunk up and starve. The oil passages are small. Mine was in pretty good shape I just replaced it preventatively after reading of sporadic but expensive issues on other 1.5 and 2.0s.

On mine I took out the battery, popped the charge air tube off the throttle body then off with the charge air tube support bracket, 3 pump bolts, take pump off, the gasket on mine stuck to the valve cover so hard to pry that up, align the new pump to the camshaft (use the old as a guide) bolt down to 11 lb-ft 1st pass then 18 lb-ft next pass. You might be able to do it without taking out the battery but I like room to work and look around. You can also replace the o seal if it is in bad shape. Mine needed a little clean up but was fine.
I'll go ahead and swap it out better safe than sorry . Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll go ahead and swap it out better safe than sorry . Thanks
Got the new vacuum pump this morning , installed it , problem solved . No more funky acting brakes . Now to take the old one apart . The oil supply port was blocked completely , but the drive coming out of the pump was in good shape ( I think I got lucky ) the engine is actually much quieter than I remember . Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
3,453 Posts
Got the new vacuum pump this morning , installed it , problem solved . No more funky acting brakes . Now to take the old one apart . The oil supply port was blocked completely , but the drive coming out of the pump was in good shape ( I think I got lucky ) the engine is actually much quieter than I remember . Thanks again
Glad it worked out and you caught it before things went sideways (literally).

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
What oil have you been using ? Semi , regular or full synth. oil. Was it sludge blocked ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What oil have you been using ? Semi , regular or full synth. oil. Was it sludge blocked ?
Full synthetic for the last 50k I'm at almost 90 k on the mileage now . Once I took it apart there was oil inside of the pump and it didn't look too bad actually , not like I thought it would be . It wasn't blocked completely by the look of it just kinda nasty looking . The issues with the brakes acting like the antilock brakes kicking in is gone , good pedal and brakes now . The car did throw another alarm so I'll have to get that checked to see what it is. I will say the shaft on the pump had a lot of play in it compared to the new one . Still think it's a piss poor design .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts