Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Malibu Premier 2.0
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a terrible time with this car. I lost an engine, had leaks, shifter broke, probably on battery 3. Back in 2018 I had an transmission problem. I was at a busy intersection here in San Jose and the car wouldn't go. It jumped forward a bit then just revved up real high and rolled to a stop. Had it towed from the middle of an intersection. The dealer reprogrammed the transmission changed the fluid and it was fine until this weekend. I went to the grocery store and everything was normal. When I left i went about 5 miles and came to stop and almost the same thing happened. I hit the pedal it made a bang noise and all I had was revs. The engine light came on and it said service transmission on the screen. I had it towed. They called me a couple hours ago and told me the transmission is blown. I can have it rebuilt for $2700 or buy a new transmission and have it installed for $3900. I contacted Chevy and they offered me $2000 toward a new car and $300 off the work. I explained I had this happen under warranty and I think it should be covered but they said repairs are only done for free under warranty. I told them I'll never buy another GM car if they don't split the cost with me and they said they won't. What should I do here?

2017 Malibu Premier
2.0 turbo
84,000 miles
purchased March 2017

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,430 Posts
Make good on your word, or trade it in and take their offer.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,221 Posts
Here's the rub: Right now you have a tow-only car. Say the blue book is 14,000 at this mileage had it been in good condition. No one is paying that as a trade because the car is undrivable. You have to subtract the repair cost on the trade. And that's if you go GM. If you move across brands they might not even take it or will deduct full replacement. Either way, you eat repair or replacement. Plus most brands are low on stock so incentives are pitiful on the buy end.

Anyway, I'd move to new transmission not rebuild. Keep working with GM and your purchasing dealer on the price. You had the same problem under warranty and trusted the fix they applied was a real fix that would last. Turns out it kicked the can (assuming the code is the same). Calm, reasonable, escalate, be humble, need help, escalate... Good luck.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu Premier 2.0
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dealer ordered a new transmission this morning. They were given a estimated ship date of August 13 which seems like a long time. I didn't have to pay up front because they want to make sure they can actually get one. So disappointing.........

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
Everyone is still experiencing parts / supply delays in every industry due to the covid backlog of shutdowns.

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
Reactions: campb292

·
Registered
53 Posts
Replace the trans not rebuilt unless you have a great trans people. Who loves working on transmission. Next if your foot is made out of lead, sell the car. Which ever way you get the most out of it. These are not race cars, they were made light for great gas mileage.every thing on the car was lighten up to get that mileage. Get it. Then buy a car you can push down quick or hard on the gas pedal. To get from point A to Point B a little quicker. For $50,000 to $100,000 you should be able to find a nice one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Replace the trans not rebuilt unless you have a great trans people. Who loves working on transmission. Next if your foot is made out of lead, sell the car. Which ever way you get the most out of it. These are not race cars, they were made light for great gas mileage.every thing on the car was lighten up to get that mileage. Get it. Then buy a car you can push down quick or hard on the gas pedal. To get from point A to Point B a little quicker. For $50,000 to $100,000 you should be able to find a nice one.
Or a new Camaro 3LT or used SS-both have 6.2 V8 for under $40K 😎

·
Registered
2017 Malibu Premier 2.0
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dealer called this morning and let me know the new transmission should arrive next monday. Then he told me they need to loaner they gave me back because it was sold. I asked for another car and was told they don't have any. I told them no because I need a car until I get my car back. We went back and forth and they said I need to bring it back by 6 or they will have onstar disable and have it towed at my expense. This isn't a very premier experience.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu Premier 2.0
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wish spending a bit more got you speed and reliability. I leased a 2014 Audi A7 before the Malibu and had constant mechanical issues. Lot's of speed it couldn't handle. I'm having a bad streak in the car department.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,430 Posts
The dealer called this morning and let me know the new transmission should arrive next monday. Then he told me they need to loaner they gave me back because it was sold. I asked for another car and was told they don't have any. I told them no because I need a car until I get my car back. We went back and forth and they said I need to bring it back by 6 or they will have onstar disable and have it towed at my expense. This isn't a very premier experience.
Cancel the order and take it where they'll treat you like a hoo-man.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts