Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 chevy Malibu Premier, today the temperature was very high and the air conditioning stopped working.

It just blows a very hot air so hot I have to turn it off.

What could it be? Help.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The air temperature. But yesterday it was working very well and it cooled very well even very cold.

From one moment to the other yesterday with the car running, it stops cooling.

I imagine the air was coming out very hot because the temperature was very hot outside. I don't know what I think.

But I don't know what it will be

·
Registered
496 Posts
AC systems have a refrigerant low/high pressure cut-off switch to prevent compressor damage. At a minimum have a garage check the refrigerant level, it could be on the hairy edge of tripping a cut-off switch. Or, there could be an electrical intermittent problem that is causing the compressor to engage then disengage for some other reason.

Even on the hottest day an automotive AC unit should blow air that isn't hot for more than 10-15 seconds, the air should be getting noticeably cooler easily within 30 seconds after it's turned on.

Another item you didn't state: how long did it run before it got hot? I've had an AC system that I ran on recirculate for hours and the AC quit working. When I got to my destination after about 15 minutes a river was under my car, it was frost/ice on the evaporator coils melting. I didn't have to drive the car until the next day, AC ran fine.

I took the car into the dealership (this was a 1993 Saturn coupe) and the service manager said the system ran just fine, refrigerant was right on factory spec. He recommended I not run recirculate for more than a half hour since they'd seen the same on other cars. Never had the issue again using his advice.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 2017 chevy Malibu Premier, today the temperature was very high and the air conditioning stopped working.

It just blows a very hot air so hot I have to turn it off.

What could it be? Help.

Thanks in advance.
So what was the issue??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yesterday afternoon they told me it was the air compressor, that if it turns on but does not spin and that is why I stop cooling, today I had to order a new compressor for my premier malibu.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's about right. 3 years old. Either the compressor or the condenser goes. My friends Chevy truck same thing condenser. My 2017 Cruze condenser. I think I'm seeing a pattern here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's about right. 3 years old. Either the compressor or the condenser goes. My friends Chevy truck same thing condenser. My 2017 Cruze condenser. I think I'm seeing a pattern here.
2003 Suburban, 170K miles, original compressor (hopefully did not jinx myself). I do top off the freon every few years though (worth buying a set of guages, even if Harbour Freight).

The 2017 swithed to the new refrigerant (not the good old cost effective R134a). Might be worth looking into if you can use the 2016 (R134a) hardware....

·
Registered
496 Posts
My Malibu is over 3 yrs. old, the AC cools like a champ. Maybe I'm lucky, I've not had issues with A/C in any car I've owned and I've owned cars since 1978. None of my GM cars (I'm on my 8th GM vehicle), have given me grief with the AC system. If anything GM's A/C systems usually have been a bit too powerful for the vehicle.

As for using R134a hardware, wouldn't you need to replace not only the compressor but also at least a complete flush of the system and likely other bits (valves, maybe an evaporator or condenser)? That might not be cost effective in the end.

To the original poster, a 2017 is not long out of warranty. I'd fuss as GM to at least pick up some of the tab, compressors don't normally give out so quickly.

2003 Suburban, 170K miles, original compressor (hopefully did not jinx myself). I do top off the freon every few years though (worth buying a set of guages, even if Harbour Freight).

The 2017 swithed to the new refrigerant (not the good old cost effective R134a). Might be worth looking into if you can use the 2016 (R134a) hardware....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yesterday afternoon they told me it was the air compressor, that if it turns on but does not spin and that is why I stop cooling, today I had to order a new compressor for my premier malibu.
Wow....that is the year of my Premier....thanks for the warning and the post

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agree with the warranty concern (and that the whole system should be checked). Given the lower cost of the other components, I would replace them with a compressor change, since there may be metal shrouds in the system. Some items (dryer) should be replaced when the system is opened and others areally so cheap (orifice) it is not worth saving a few bucks by not replacing them. The big cost would be the new tubes since R134 fittings are different than R1234.

R134 is about 10% of the cost of R1234, so it may be cheaper to make the switch (though I would still trust the recommendation of the AC tech, since they see these units everyday).

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,968 Posts
Compressor failure after 3 years is not common, you are taking a few anecdotes and jumping to a hard conclusion. Please provide more evidence that the A/C compressor is a known early failure issue in GM cars.

As both of my Chevys are a bit over 3 years old, I'll be sure to revisit this thread if either compressor suddenly dies, but at this point I haven't seen enough reason to worry about it.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,987 Posts
Dang, mine's 10 years old and hasn't failed 3 times and almost a 4th. It must be living on borrowed time.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Hmmm I call BS on compressor issues.
'09 'bu 190k miles sold with OEM working a/c compressor, '99 Yukon same deal. Multiple Express vans over 150k with no a/c issues.
Rear a/c equipped vehicles a/c lines like corrode from salt is the only issues I've had.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,544 Posts
I guess I'll finally comment. The compressor failed in my 2016 LT. I had some intermittent cooling issues - hot cool hot cool then went totally warm. I took it in, they first diagnosed a pressure sensor, nothing, then diagnosed the compressor and replaced it. It was fully covered and has been working perfectly for a couple years. Being someone that experienced a compressor failure firsthand, I see nothing indicating widespread compressor issues in the Malibu or other GM cars for that matter. I am not a fan of drawing broad conclusions from isolated experiences. You can use the forum advanced search (or google) for the term compressor and you will only find a few reports. Parts sometimes fail.

I hope RRL's problem was fixed and gets more life out of the new compressor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts