Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Transmission issue came back again on my 2017 Malibu 2.0. Car is rough to drive. Shifting is abnormal too. This is like the third time. Is this covered under power train? I have 36,185 Miles

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
Bummer - You are inside the miles and time of the powertrain warranty. The car will require diagnosis of course and they may say you are responsible for the diagnostic fee until a covered problem is found. It certainly may be the transmission again but could be other things as well.

The woes of the 2017-2018 9-speed had been waning as of late while piston failure on the 2.0 has been increasing. Those that had the 9-speed transmission actual repair or the calibration update performed seem to continue on problem free for the most part. I think this car might just be cursed since it had the transmission woes early on, had the actual physical repair and I think you said it had the calibration update too... right? I may be wrong, but this is a lease? You might talk to the dealer about letting you out so you can get into a proper vehicle.

EDIT: I see you have now edited your post to include the code and some pics. This will be covered. There is a program for replacement of the accel pedal position sensor and this could cause your current problems. Probably not another transmission issue too, thankfully. Just another problem... /sigh. Here is the bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165443-9999.pdf

Make an appointment and good luck!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummer - You are inside the miles and time of the powertrain warranty. The car will require diagnosis of course and they may say you are responsible for the diagnostic fee until a covered problem is found. It certainly may be the transmission again but could be other things as well.

The woes of the 2017-2018 9-speed had been waning as of late while piston failure on the 2.0 has been increasing. Those that had the 9-speed transmission actual repair or the calibration update performed seem to continue on problem free for the most part. I think this car might just be cursed since it had the transmission woes early on, had the actual physical repair and I think you said it had the calibration update too... right? I may be wrong, but this is a lease? You might talk to the dealer about letting you out so you can get into a proper vehicle.

EDIT: I see you have now edited your post to include the code and some pics. This will be covered. There is a program for replacement of the accel pedal position sensor and this could cause your current problems. Probably not another transmission issue too, thankfully. Just another problem... /sigh. Here is the bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165443-9999.pdf

Make an appointment and good luck!
So this happen on Sunday morning and it went away on it's own . It did it again today. Different code this time P2820 (Pressure Control Solenoid). So I have P2820, P0700, and P2138. Just dropped it off at dealer. $140 diagnostic fee!!!:(

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
So this happen on Sunday morning and it went away on it's own . It did it again today. Different code this time P2820 (Pressure Control Solenoid). So I have P2820, P0700, and P2138. Just dropped it off at dealer. $140 diagnostic fee!!!:(
The pedal position sensor is simple enough and common among all trims. It shouldn't be a case where owners need to wait for it to fail but that is a different topic for another time. The 9-speed transmission again throwing those same codes... after this many failures to fix it they should be replacing it or making a deal to get you into a different car if they don't know how to fix it. If reoccurrence is rare they should just replace the whole transmission as yours is a rotten apple. If it isn't rare, and they know it will probably just keep happening on a replacement, they won't replace it. We'll see I guess. Did these problems first occur in the first year of ownership? If so, it is starting to get close to lemon qualification depending on the location/state. Thanks for the continued updates.

I also updated the discussion title to include the P2820.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pedal position sensor is simple enough and common among all trims. It shouldn't be a case where owners need to wait for it to fail but that is a different topic for another time. The 9-speed transmission again throwing those same codes... after this many failures to fix it they should be replacing it or making a deal to get you into a different car if they don't know how to fix it. If reoccurrence is rare they should just replace the whole transmission as yours is a rotten apple. If it isn't rare, and they know it will probably just keep happening on a replacement, they won't replace it. We'll see I guess. Did these problems first occur in the first year of ownership? If so, it is starting to get close to lemon qualification depending on the location/state. Thanks for the continued updates.

I also updated the discussion title to include the P2820.
Thanks for the replay. Yes this is a lease. It ends on Jun 2020. I have six payments left. Am I still qualified to claim lemon? I want GM to take this car back without penalties.

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
In my state, Michigan, yes a leased car can qualify. Usually the original problem must occur in the first year and fail 3 repair attempts to start the process. There are variables that fluctuate from State to State - some are more lenient some a bit tougher. You'll have to check your state's laws. I think visiting the sales department and explaining the situation is the best bet. They have the power to discount a new purchase price to compensate for possible penalties of the current lease.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my state, Michigan, yes a leased car can qualify. Usually the original problem must occur in the first year and fail 3 repair attempts to start the process. There are variables that fluctuate from State to State - some are more lenient some a bit tougher. You'll have to check your state's laws. I think visiting the sales department and explaining the situation is the best bet. They have the power to discount a new purchase price to compensate for possible penalties of the current lease.
I will research it. At this point, I have lost confidence on GM. My wife said she is not gonna talk to me if I get another GM car LOL :))))))).

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you financed through GM financial and plan on getting another GM you will get notified in three months for a lease Pull ahead, or you should talk to you sales person to let them know you want to be notified when they advise the dealer of Pull ahead status. I you do not plan to get a GM this does not apply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts