Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've only owned my 2017 Malibu Premier about 3 weeks.

A few times a week, I get this shrieking beeping sound and bright red lights shining in my eyes from somewhere. I think this is supposed to be a safety system but every time it happens I feel stressed and distracted. I would to turn it off. I looked through the menus on the head unit but I didn't see anything obvious. The pedestrian, front collision, etc. settings are all set to "Alarm and Brake". But I never feel any braking when this is happening. So I don't think it's one of those systems? Does anyone know how to turn it off?

Thanks.

BTW I test drove an Accord before buying this, during the test drive it once flashed the word "BRAKE" on the dash. No jarring beeps! I wish Chevy would have done it this way.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It’s the alarm portion of the collision avoidance systems you cited. Unless there’s a flaw with your car and/or you are a horrible driver and constantly too close to cars in front of you these should not be firing that often. It’s concerning that you said it happened on a different vehicle test drive. Highly suggests driver inputs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes I probably do drive differently than most people. I'm confident with my car and my abilities to drive it. I turn corners faster than most people do, for example. I've been driving for over 25 years and haven't had an accident.

Today I turned off a main street (45mph limit) onto a side street (25mph limit) and there was a car ahead of me on this side street maybe 30-40 feet ahead. So as I am turning the corner, this car comes into view of the radar, and it started shrieking. I get it, as far as the radar is concerned the car just suddenly appeared. But I'm only going 15-20mph (but just recently decelerated from 45mph on the main street, so my average speed over a 2 second period is much higher) on a 25mph street and the car is 30-40 feet ahead of me. I feel these systems are overly sensitive.

I will probably just end up turning all these systems off I guess. I would like to have emergency braking, if an emergency condition ever occurred, but these pointless jarring alarms are annoying. I do UX (user experience) design for a living. I like how Honda designed their system to not give people a heart attack. The way the Chevy system is, I think it's less than helpful.

And I don't understand why the settings are Off, Alarm, Alarm + Brake. So there is no brake only setting. Like I said, the car has never braked for me. So there must be a two stage system where first it gives the alarm, then if things are really bad I guess, it would also brake. I would love to have the safety feature of the braking if I really do make a mistake, or someone else does.

Like I said I've only had the car for 3 weeks and I'm still trying to figure out if the car is right for me. It drives really really nice, I love the low end torque and it brakes really well. I wanted a sport sedan and this is one. It corners so nice with those 19" wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Alarm is a liability thing. Warning driver that system is on the verge of activating.
It's designed for those who have minimal driving ''skills'' so they need the harsh warnings to ''cool their jets".
Looks like you'll be turning it off.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You’ve described the workings of the system well. I agree it’s as much a liability setting set of options as anything. I’m not a fan of turning off systems that are advanced tech and that you pay extra for but you certainly have that option. By comparison I’m far from a white knuckle driver but I can count on less than a full hand how many times the red alert bar has fired on mine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the forward collision alert have a sensitivity setting that you can possibly set to a lower sensitivity which would keep it from activating as often? Just asking and am not familiar with the feature since my '17 Bu doesn't have such installed.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,921 Posts
OP is describing the collision detection system working as designed. If it bothers you, either turn it off or change your driving habits. This thread will be closed for further comments.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.