Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon everyone,

I come today with sad news which I now see is not all that uncommon. I own a 2017 2.0 Premier with 75500 miles. About two weeks ago I got a blinking check engine light, stabilitrack light, and the info center said Engine Power Reduced. I saw fluid under the engine and had it towed and after about 4 hours they told me piston 1 and 3 were shot. The bill was $3400. I can't say I am very impressed with the car. I always use premium gas from Shell or Chevron and get oil changes at 5000-6000 miles. I've had the leak in the trunk, a DRL failed out of warranty, the power seat forward and backward died out of warranty, sensors are always confused, and had some stuff done to the transmission back under warranty. They wanted to add a fuel system service for $400 and a transmission service for $350. When I declined that they said the front pads are close so I may need to replace those soon for about $220 and turn the rotors for $80. Between all the repairs, the premium gas, spark plugs at only 60,000, and the tires that are $220 each this seems like an expensive car to own which I didn't expect with a Chevy.

Paul, Saratoga CA

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,921 Posts
You can drastically reduce your repair costs by purchasing OEM replacement parts online from Rockauto or Amazon without shop markup. Then you only have to pay for labor.

There aren't too many 2017 Malibu 2.0T models with cracked pistons at all. There were issues with the 1.5T and years ago there were some issues with the 2013-2014 Malibu 2.0T that have been resolved. It's a real shame you were out of the powertrain warranty on those issues. In previous years, the warranty lasted 5 years/100,000 miles. Sorry you've had a frustrating experience with the car.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,434 Posts
$3400 is a lot of money but it isn't a unreasonable cost for a major repair like this especially if dealer work. So unlucky to have it happen just outside the powertrain warranty but not close enough for an exception. This is the 16th forum report of 2016-2018 2.0T cracked pistons.

Hopefully they performed good work and you can cruise on for many more miles with just normal routine maintenance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. What kind of oil was in the engine? As for spark plugs, I went with a colder plus and small gap to help reduce LSPI.
The first couple oil changes were free at the dealer so whatever they used. From there on Mobil1 exclusively as that has been my preference for a long time now. At my local dealer they do a basic full synthetic change which I think is adcelco bulk oil for 49.95 and for 59.95 they do Mobil1. The plugs were replaced at the dealer back at about 61,000 when I was in for an oil change. All it says is premium ignition service replace 41-125.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
41-125 is the proper iridium plug for the 2.0 Turbo...I wouldn't think you'd have any issue with Mobil 1 oil changed following the OLM or your mileage (if under a year) limits and your gasoline choices are proper as well as Top Tier picks...

sorry to read of your troubles...

Bill

·
Registered
759 Posts
I went 1 step colder from the OEM AC Delco 41-125's to NGK 6510 's and gapped to .028, per the factory service manual and recommendations from many I talked to.

From factory service manual:
Spark Plug Gap 0.60 mm - 0.70 mm (0.024 in - 0.028 in)

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I wonder why the service manual would recommend a different spark plug gap when the factory continues to use the .035 and 41-125 iridium plug since the replacement/changover was made for the earlier Turbo cars (41-116 plug in 2013)

Bill

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,434 Posts
I actually have the service manual gap for the 2016 2.0T LTG being 0.95-1.10 mm (0.037-0.043 in). Exact same info for the 2017 LTG via alldata. The 0.60 mm - 0.70 mm (0.024 in - 0.028 in) referenced above is shown for the 1.5T in my stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
the .035" I posted is what Rock Auto shows for the gap on new OEM type plugs from AC Delco iridium 41-125...

I always thought the gaps on iridium plugs today should not be touched (but they should be checked) from factory...according to your all alldata info campb292, would you change the gap were you to install these plugs in a Malibu with the 2.0 Turbo???

according to what TheSilverOne posted the gap according to his factory service manual shows the gap should be .024-.028"...

looking at all three sources (alldata-rfactory service manual-OEM) that's a gulf of .024 to as much as .043...that seems like a lot conflicting information but perhaps those differences are not that much to the engine itself...

I checked with AC Delco's own site and they show the plug should have .035" and not be regapped to further muddy the water...

Bill

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,434 Posts
If you want to keep it more fun, combine the 0.95-1.10 mm (0.037-0.043 in) of the service manual and alldata with the user manual which says 0.75–0.90mm (0.030–
0.035 in). Seems kinda messy on the 2.0T.

I always thought the gaps on iridium plugs today should not be touched (but they should be checked) from factory...according to your all alldata info campb292, would you change the gap were you to install these plugs in a Malibu with the 2.0 Turbo???
I would check but not alter if using an acdelco plug. Unfortunately there is no overlap between the tech docs and the user manual. I'd say the .035 seems like a nice middleground.

according to what TheSilverOne posted the gap according to his factory service manual shows the gap should be .024-.028"...
The 0.60 mm - 0.70 mm (0.024 in - 0.028 in) I think was a misread, that number is consistently written for the 1.5T in the service manual, alldata, and the user manual. If it does say that in silversport's service manual what we have there is a bona fide inconsistent mess if that manual was obtained from helminc like mine.

Uhhh... good luck to everyone including the op and those new pistons. Let us know how things are after a couple weeks if you can.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Uhhh... good luck to everyone including the op and those new pistons. Let us know how things are after a couple weeks if you can.
Its only been one week but it seems fine. I have driven about 2 tanks and the fuel economy reports 25.8 mpg which is just about what it was. It sounds and performs fine just hopefully works this time. I hope GM used some better pistons. You would think they would use tough stuff in a small maybe 150 horsepower engine turbod to 250 horsepower.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
campb292...I don't have a service manual...just got the numbers from Rock Auto and AC Delco's own sites...thanks for the additional information...

Bill

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,434 Posts
campb292...I don't have a service manual...just got the numbers from Rock Auto and AC Delco's own sites...thanks for the additional information...

Bill
Haha... at first I was thinking "what is this dude talking about I never said he had a service manual". But you're sure right, I wrote silversport not silverone. Too many silversthingys!

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
recommended by whom???...

your response about going to a colder plug is the first time I've seen this written anywhere for the unmodified 2.0T and there are a lot of Chevy/Buick/Cadillac 2.0Ts out there...

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Haha... at first I was thinking "what is this dude talking about I never said he had a service manual". But you're sure right, I wrote silversport not silverone. Too many silversthingys!
s'funny that when I read your response I thought, "did I write that I got my information from a service manual?"... :cool:

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Going one step colder on plug heat range is common on boosted engine tunes. Helps prevent detonation.
IMO couldn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
thanks...I had never heard them being recommended unless tuned...or an issue as when the 2013 2.0T came out...it originally had the 41-116 plug and the replacement under the recall/TSB was a colder 41-125...

Bill

1 - 20 of 20 Posts