Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed when driving straight, sometimes the steering wheel will shake left and right slightly on its own when your hands are off the wheel...car still go straight of course... Anybody else notice this??

I have confidance package 1 and 2 and lane keep assist is off when this happens... It happens so rarely that its will be impossible to replicate for dealer or catch on camers for that matter...

·
Registered
231 Posts
That usually means one of the front brake rotors has a little runout. If that is the problem, it should be detectable with a dial indicator.

·
Registered
492 Posts
More likely it sounds like an out-of-balance tire or perhaps a defective tire. If you feel pulsation/vibration in the brake pedal when braking the it's what ClothSeats says, an rotor has runout/is warped. If the vibration is always there, especially at freeway speeds, it's more likely the tire or simply a tire balance issue.

Either way make an appointment with the dealership, they should easily correct it. One final question: does the problem get worse or better after driving the car, for, say 15-20 minutes? If it gets better then it sounds like a flat spot that forms overnight and goes away as the tire warms up. I've had that happen with a set of Goodrich tires years ago, the vibration would go away after 15 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No no No... Its not a rotor or wheel out of balance... Its the motor that controls the steering wheel for the lane assist or something... its crazy...Normally it does it at around 30 mph... its very rare it doest do it all the time

·
Registered
358 Posts
No no No... Its not a rotor or wheel out of balance... Its the motor that controls the steering wheel for the lane assist or something... its crazy...Normally it does it at around 30 mph... its very rare it doest do it all the time
Take it to dealer and have them check it out. It's probably the lane keep assist or the auto park motor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Happened to me once when the car was brand new - The steering wandered / twitched like it was a motor issue. It hasn't happened since but it was documented - Keep an eye out for it and report it

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THis thread has gone in the wrong direction....My original post was about my steering shaking from the auto park motor and not a wheel vibration from a bent rim or a out of balance wheel... And yes it still shakes back and forth, it does it when I'm going straight and my hands are not on the wheel, almost like a reminder to put your hands back on the wheel....it never does it when I have my hands on the steering wheel...

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,444 Posts
I moved @whittsm's post and my response out of this thread to avoid confusion. That thread is now here: http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/121-problems-service-issues-troubleshooting-generation-9/104305-2017-malibu-premier-new-front-end-vibration.html

It seems there is some difficulty in describing/understanding what you describe, @RcClockman. I think the important factor is the problem occurs so rarely that you cannot replicate at the dealer or even get on camera. Really really rare. It isn't a vibration it is an actual pulsing shake of the steering wheel but never with hands on? Maybe it is upset and needs your calming touch. I think @cp-the-nerd has already offered the best advice you will likely get here for such a strange occurrence.

Reactions: cp-the-nerd

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 17 LT1 done it once. Take into consideration I retired after 26 yrs as an auto tech so I am very aware of whats what when it comes to vibrations in the wheel. MINE rapidly whipped itself back and forth very violently for only a few seconds. I let loose of the wheel and it shook for a few seconds, straightened out itself, a has yet to do it again. If anyone has ever had a slipped belt in a tire and hit that magical mph where it tosses the steering wheel left to right violently, this is what it looked and felt like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes and I made a reply as to how mine acted on this thread. You are not alone, and I know exactly what you felt.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,444 Posts
Hi @Rayz17. In this thread you made a couple posts 2 minutes apart - one post as a reply and another as a reply to the reply. Was that intended as a PM to someone? I can help with that if something didn't work as intended.

Perhaps someone who experienced this got the dealer to reproduce or was able to make a video and received some guidance or resolution.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya, mine still shakes all the time...You have to have your hands off the wheel... Its like the car want you to not take your hands off the wheel!! I know soon there will be a tsb on it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update 7/12/18 it done it again. Both times I was off the accelerator coasting into a speed reduced area from highway speed. Both times my hands were not on the wheel. It done it for about 5 seconds and when I put my hands back onto the wheel is stopped instantly. This will become a common issue at some point. I now have 14,000 miles on my car and this was the second time total since buying brand new. Never could you video, or get a dealer to duplicate this.

THis thread has gone in the wrong direction....My original post was about my steering shaking from the auto park motor and not a wheel vibration from a bent rim or a out of balance wheel... And yes it still shakes back and forth, it does it when I'm going straight and my hands are not on the wheel, almost like a reminder to put your hands back on the wheel....it never does it when I have my hands on the steering wheel...
Exact same thing happened twice to me now. 14,000 miles on it and I have put all but 15 miles of them on this car. In these 14,000 miles it has happened twice only. This is going to be a tough one to ever find, or get a dealer to even consider looking at until more of them get reported. This has to be something more then you and I are experiencing.

I know this is NOT a new malibu, but this is EXACTLY what mine looks like, with the exception of mine does it while in motion, decelerating from highway speeds, coasting both times, hand off the wheel both times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good news, gm is working on a fix. Was at the dealer today and they had info on it but no repair available yet

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,444 Posts
Good news, gm is working on a fix. Was at the dealer today and they had info on it but no repair available yet
There is a bulletin on this, it was acknowledged, engineering worked on a solution, and then the final correction was "The system is working as intended. The customer should have at least one hand on the wheel at all times." Good luck. Source:
In October the bulletin was updated to include text: "Correction: Explain to the customer that they should have at least one hand on the steering wheel at all times"

For others, keep in mind your wheel can shake for many reasons. This bulletin and conversation only relates to a specific shaking at a specific speed with no hands on the wheel. Perhaps someday they will update software to stop the wheel shaking in a no-hands-driving scenario?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Like the Notice says, Does it at 38-40MPH...That is correct, it does it at that speed! Its going to end up being a bug in the software, and they will have a fix for it someday//

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like the Notice says, Does it at 38-40MPH...That is correct, it does it at that speed! Its going to end up being a bug in the software, and they will have a fix for it someday//
My car did the exact same thing at the same MPH. I was able to get this fixed, it took a lot of R & D, but it ended up being the faulty drivers side front axle. It is no software issues, it's actually a faulty front axle. I've had two friends with the same car experience the same shake. The dealership warranty covered it. The shake immediately went away. If your car is out of warranty, its a big expense. The quote to do one Axel was $1800. Greg

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,444 Posts
"My car"? A Premier? R&D? Research & Development of a new "axel"? "Firends" had it too? "Warrantly" covered it?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts