Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My car did the exact same thing at the same MPH. I was able to get this fixed, it took a lot of R & D, but it ended up being the faulty drivers side front axle. It is no software issues, it's actually a faulty front axle. I've had two friends with the same car experience the same shake. The dealership warranty covered it. The shake immediately went away. If your car is out of warranty, its a big expense. The quote to do one Axel was $1800. Greg
So why would a faulty axle cause that at only that speed? Also if it was , it would do it all the time....It only does it every so often at that speed....

·
Registered
2 Posts
So why would a faulty axle cause that at only that speed? Also if it was , it would do it all the time....It only does it every so often at that speed....
Get under your car. I bet the axle seal on the drivers side is leaking. I’d check both, but I’ve seen three cars all with the same shake at 38-low 40’s. There’s also a low hum while there’s load on it. Mean if you’re on the highway maintaining 70mph the hum is present, and if you left off the gas it stops. If you let off the gas the hum goes away. You should check out your axle. If you see the leak, I’m positive that’s your shake

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,444 Posts
A revised bulletin has been released (dated December 2019). That bulletin is here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10170708-9999.pdf

This revised bulletin is strange and sort of contradictory. It has a Condition of "Some customers may comment that if they release their hands from the steering wheel at around 61-64 km/h (38-40 mph), a shimmy/shaking can occur." Cause of "Engineering is currently working on a solution for 2016-2018 Malibu. New software calibrations are available for 2019-2020 Model Years." Then a Correction of "Note: Explain to the customer that they should have at least one hand on the steering wheel at all times. Specific to 2019 and 2020 Model Years ONLY, reprogram the Power Steering Control Module. Refer to K43 Power Steering Control Module: Programming and Setup in SI. Specific to 2016, 2017 and 2018 Model Years ONLY, test drive the vehicle to validate the condition. This condition does not affect the vehicle."

So.... is engineering working on the 2016-2018 Malibu? Or did they correct by updating the 2019-2020 and declare the condition does not affect the vehicle? Seems like engineering needs to learn the difference between cause and correction. There is even a bulletin now for "hands on wheel shake" and this "hands off wheel shake". How can hands on the wheel stop a shake? Is this some sort of low power electrical problem causing the EPS motor to puke? I'm puzzled. I hope the 2019-2020 fix trickles down to the 16-18 so no hands driving is vibration-free.

EDIT: Another new bulletin (dated February 2020): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173395-9999.pdf

This new bulletin for 2016-2020 Malibus with specific VIN numbers indicates a software update. It still says "Correction: Explain to the customer that they should have at least one hand on the steering wheel at all times" so I am not sure how successful the "no hands" driving will be even with the update for affected cars. I checked TIS with my VIN I have no update for my car... but I also don't have this shake. I hope it helps if someone experiences this and the update is applicable.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So Finally after 2 1/2 years after I first Reported it, that my steering wheel was shaking on its own on my 2017 Premier, Gm has a Software update to fix it! Finally! I found the Info on a Mechanics ALLdata..!! yeah!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
No no No... Its not a rotor or wheel out of balance... Its the motor that controls the steering wheel for the lane assist or something... its crazy...Normally it does it at around 30 mph... its very rare it doest do it all the time
Hey I have a 2020 Malibu and it does exactly what you describe only it is every time I drive it. Lane assist on or off it does it. I though for sure it was a feature like the lane assist. I don’t know what’s causing it but it is getting more frequent. It only happens when my hands are off the wheel then when I put even just three fingers in the wheel it stops. Did you find the reason?

So Finally after 2 1/2 years after I first Reported it, that my steering wheel was shaking on its own on my 2017 Premier, Gm has a Software update to fix it! Finally! I found the Info on a Mechanics ALLdata..!! yeah!!
How did you do the update is this something the dealer will do under warranty? Thanks. Mine is a company car so I’m not really concerned with getting a bill but the car only has 2000 miles.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey I have a 2020 Malibu and it does exactly what you describe only it is every time I drive it. Lane assist on or off it does it. I though for sure it was a feature like the lane assist. I don’t know what’s causing it but it is getting more frequent. It only happens when my hands are off the wheel then when I put even just three fingers in the wheel it stops. Did you find the reason?

How did you do the update is this something the dealer will do under warranty? Thanks. Mine is a company car so I’m not really concerned with getting a bill but the car only has 2000 miles.
Yes, its a Software Issue... THey will download the latest software to fix it,,,,

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2016 Premier with the 2 liter turbo. This shake started happening to me around 65,000 miles. The dealer told me to keep a hand on the wheel. If I do it never shakes but sometimes you just can't have both hands on. For about a year they gave me the run around then I had a software update performed last February. The document number is 19-NA-185. It helped for about 2 months then the shaking started again in April. I took it back and after trying to find another cause for 3 days they said the update didn't work for a couple others and GM is aware but doesn't have a solution. I call every couple weeks but they haven't heard anything and no new service updates.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, Finally got mine into the Dealer last week for the Software update, as soon as i started driving it, it still was Shaking again at 38-40mph!! So back to the dealer it went, and case is forwarded to GM!! Looks like their Software guys need to be fired!

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2020 LS does the same thing. At first I thought possibly ABS was going off or some sort of brake issue but I was coasting just fine so I have no clue why it would do that. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My 2020 LS does the same thing. At first I thought possibly ABS was going off or some sort of brake issue but I was coasting just fine so I have no clue why it would do that. Please keep us updated.
You have to have a Model that has the Auto-Park or LAne assist Feature for this to be an issue...Does your have those?

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,444 Posts
Many things can cause this wheel shake; probably why it hasn't been quick or easy for GM to figure out. Different causes/issues and an uncommon occurrence.

Sorry the software attempt didn't work hopefully they figure something else out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
OK So, GM has no idea how to fix the issue...Their Software Does not work, and they are ordering me a new Axle replacement to mabee resolve the issue, and also they want me to put new Front tires on!! HAHAHHA This has been happening since the car was brand new!!! My Tires are just fine... rotated them and same thing....L9ke i said, this has been happening since day 1!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
They still have my car, The new Axle didnt fix it, i said of course it wont fix it its a software issue !!and now they sent out a Rep from GM to check out the issue,,,,,welll see..Will have an answer by Tuesday...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Time for a different dealer.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,444 Posts
I don't think it is time for a new dealer at this time. If this dealer service dept believes in the issue enough to get a corporate tech to visit that this a good thing. Dealers don't get actual tac reps out very often. That is somewhat hopeful imo.

Reactions: Worldon1finger
21 - 36 of 36 Posts