Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is regarding my Gen 9 2017 Malibu Premier (2.0T), current mi 35k.
For the life of me I can not figure this out. This is a frequent but random and intermittent occurrence, mainly when driving for extended periods of time (30+ mins).
As I drive, the service TPMS will appear in DIC, TPMS light will then blink for approx 1 min then stay lit, during this time I will toggle to tire pressure and notice 1 or more wheels showing offline (- -). Clearly there is no issue with actual pressures. At any point, ranging from 10mins after its triggered til the next day on cold start it will go away and show all wheels online with current pressure.
Now, this is continuing after the dealer has already replaced and reset all wheel sensors, the remote receiver module (which picks up both TPMS sensors & key fob) and the BCM. Also, a case was opened with GM engineering and basically wrote me off saying it must be “other interference”. Had codes pulled by private Mech after replaced components and found some pertaining to miscommunication with BCM of other systems (steering position was one). Please note the car is all stock, and the only thing I have plugged in is the usb for my iPhone.
If anyone can give me more insight on what is causing this it’d be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,252 Posts
I was wondering if this one would ever make an appearance. My wife's iPhone XS worked fine in our Malibu for over a year - no phone or TPMS problems. I think it was early 2020 I started having problems getting readings from the rear tires. It was intermittent. After a couple weeks we figured out it was only when her phone was in the car. After leaving her phone away for a week it never happened. We swapped it for the 11 and hasn't happened since. Something went awry with that XS. It can't be a iPhone problem in general or we'd see dozens of complaints here... it must be a malfunction of some kind putting out RFI. You can google iphone interference tpms and you find yourself at the corvette forums with other reports.

Considering they already replaced the tpms sensors, receiver, bcm, and had a GM field tech determine it was interference, it may in fact actually be interference. If not, I'm going 5G and Aliens (interference by of course)!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering if this one would ever make an appearance. My wife's iPhone XS worked fine in our Malibu for over a year - no phone or TPMS problems. I think it was early 2020 I started having problems getting readings from the rear tires. It was intermittent. After a couple weeks we figured out it was only when her phone was in the car. After leaving her phone away for a week it never happened. We swapped it for the 11 and hasn't happened since. Something went awry with that XS. It can't be a iPhone problem in general or we'd see dozens of complaints here... it must be a malfunction of some kind putting out RFI. You can google iphone interference tpms and you find yourself at the corvette forums with other reports.

Considering they already replaced the tpms sensors, receiver, bcm, and had a GM field tech determine it was interference, it may in fact actually be interference. If not, I'm going 5G and Aliens (interference by of course)!
Wow. That’s exactly the iPhone I have now, the XS. Funny you said that and another thing I want to point out is I also get the “no remote detected” DIC message when a passenger door is opened then closed (random as well), even though the key fob is literally in my left pocket right under the steering wheel. The iPhone is either on me or near the cup holder directly under climate controls, plugged to the USB for the Apple CarPlay. I do find it odd if it does have anything to do with it being that the key fob and TPMS sensors transmit at very specific frequencies far out on the spectrum to prevent such anomalies. I’m thinking the widespread 5G integration (early 2020) and our inter dimensional friends would be easier to accept...lol.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,682 Posts
Without any cost to you, leave your XS at home for a week or two and see if the issue mysteriously resolves itself.

You may need a prescription from your doctor to endure that long without your phone, but just know that we're all pullin' for ya! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
And in the meantime I'd be using speaker phone and not putting the phone to my head if it's interfering with the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I having that same issue with my 2017 Malibu LT but just with the front sensors. Took it into the dealer and they could not fid any issues. I only have the issue at night when I am driving to work. LF would no longer read and then it'll start reading and the RF will stop reading or both front sensor would stop reading. Its only the fronts, at first I thought it was bad sensors so I had the tires rotated and watched them do it and recalibrated the locations and the next day in the morning same issue with the fronts. Now at 44k miles and still have the issue with no correction to the issue

·
Registered
12 Posts
I having that same issue with my 2017 Malibu LT but just with the front sensors. Took it into the dealer and they could not fid any issues. I only have the issue at night when I am driving to work. LF would no longer read and then it'll start reading and the RF will stop reading or both front sensor would stop reading. Its only the fronts, at first I thought it was bad sensors so I had the tires rotated and watched them do it and recalibrated the locations and the next day in the morning same issue with the fronts. Now at 44k miles and still have the issue with no correction to the issue
That’s exactly how mine is behaving, I was troubleshooting every possible thing you can think of. By any chance do you have an iPhone (specifically the XS) in the car when this happens? I haven’t tested that theory yet, driving without it or my Apple watch to see if there is some funky interference triggering the miscommunication to either remote receiver or BCM. I know for my ‘17 Premier the location of the remote receiver is in back of trunk area, or so I was told by Chevy tech. Being that it’s always the sensors furthest away means the signal is getting blocked somehow. My thoughts were always some type of relay being that it’s random and intermittent, a module somewhere, or a glitch in the firmware for the BCM used for 2016-17 models. Do you also get the “no remote detected” anomaly, even though the fob is on you or unobstructed?

·
Registered
23 Posts
That’s exactly how mine is behaving, I was troubleshooting every possible thing you can think of. By any chance do you have an iPhone (specifically the XS) in the car when this happens? I haven’t tested that theory yet, driving without it or my Apple watch to see if there is some funky interference triggering the miscommunication to either remote receiver or BCM. I know for my ‘17 Premier the location of the remote receiver is in back of trunk area, or so I was told by Chevy tech. Being that it’s always the sensors furthest away means the signal is getting blocked somehow. My thoughts were always some type of relay being that it’s random and intermittent, a module somewhere, or a glitch in the firmware for the BCM used for 2016-17 models. Do you also get the “no remote detected” anomaly, even though the fob is on you or unobstructed?
I have android phone, I had before Galaxy S9+ and now LG V40. I have installed HID headlights and a dash camera, I know it's not this because I was having the issue before I installed those. The problem started about 10k miles before the bumper to bumper expired. At first I thought it was the HID's because the issue only happens at night but I installed the lights 6 months after I bought the car in october 2017 and had no issue for almost the entire bumper to bumper time frame. I took it to the dealer after the warranty was over and paid for the diagnostic, they came back and told me it because of the dash cam, even after telling them I was having the issue before that.

·
Super Moderator
4,252 Posts
It'll usually be interference from something when it is intermittent, especially if you rotate tires and the problem stays in the same position even with a different tire and different sensor. The interference will come from some device inside the car or if in the same geographic location something external. By saying that I'm not saying the car isn't at fault somehow - it should be shielded or the receiver located in a way to avoid interference. If GM is going to implement the technology GM needs to make it work for everyone - or if it doesn't, be able to fix it. A Dealer can't fix what GM won't acknowledge, nor will GM acknowledge since they are required to implement a TPMS system and the system implemented barely has trouble reports. With that said you are stuck changing electronics, which in my case was an iPhone XS. I've never had a problem with TPMS with any of my android phones nor a iPhone 8 or 11; only that iPhone XS. That XS also never had a problem in my Crosstrek or F150, so the Malibu plays a part in there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It'll usually be interference from something when it is intermittent, especially if you rotate tires and the problem stays in the same position even with a different tire and different sensor. The interference will come from some device inside the car or if in the same geographic location something external. By saying that I'm not saying the car isn't at fault somehow - it should be shielded or the receiver located in a way to avoid interference. If GM is going to implement the technology GM needs to make it work for everyone - or if it doesn't, be able to fix it. A Dealer can't fix what GM won't acknowledge, nor will GM acknowledge since they are required to implement a TPMS system and the system implemented barely has trouble reports. With that said you are stuck changing electronics, which in my case was an iPhone XS. I've never had a problem with TPMS with any of my android phones nor a iPhone 8 or 11; only that iPhone XS. That XS also never had a problem in my Crosstrek or F150, so the Malibu plays a part in there.
I def see some type of correlation between the iPhone XS and these specific model year Malibu’s. Something I should also note, before me having my ‘17 Premier I had an ‘18 LT back in mid 2018, got it at 4K miles and drove same car for 2 years racking almost 100K miles, all while still having same model iPhone XS, and I did not have a single issue EVER with TPMS system! It did its job and told me when I was getting a flat which was a couple times, no weird stuff. So what we are dealing with is a flaw in design of electronic components or firmware used in a narrow stretch of early gen 9 regardless of trim level.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Recent LED headlight addition by any change? Some brands interfere with the TPMS receiver. Was you receiver replaced or just reprogrammed? Do you have Ontario WiFi enabled?
The same exact LED lights I had on the 2018 LT (had no issues) is the ones I have on my 2017 Premier. The wheel sensors, receiver, and BSM were all replaced at dealer. The car does connect to the WiFi as it should, I just don’t use it cuz I’m not paying for it. Is it possible there is a slightly different receiver or BCM used on the ‘17 Malibu than the ‘18? Since they are vin specific parts, maybe there was a change in the brand or source the part was made. Could be a faulty component of a particular lot of that part being manufactured? I mean there really has to be a legit explanation to all this. I’m really beginning to think it is 5G and aliens!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Still worth trying to replace the LEDs (or just remove to test) to see if they problem goes away (it did on ours). Some of the LED lights radiate a lot of RFI that will interfere with your reception. Given all you did, I bet your LEDS are the issue (after that, I would check the antenna on the TPMS receiver)

You may need to try a different brand or two to get one that works.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still worth trying to replace the LEDs (or just remove to test) to see if they problem goes away (it did on ours). Some of the LED lights radiate a lot of RFI that will interfere with your reception. Given all you did, I bet your LEDS are the issue (after that, I would check the antenna on the TPMS receiver)

You may need to try a different brand or two to get one that works.
I get what you’re saying, I thought about that too if there is a shielding issue but that would mean I should have seen issues with same LEDs in the ‘18 Malibu and I didn’t. This has me thinking more precisely at the receiver module itself, as I mentioned already the tech told me the location was somewhere near backside of right rear fender panel or back of trunk, I’ll have no clue as to knowing what I’m looking at unless there is or is connected to an external antenna (which I’m thinking is internal as it’s probably all one unit that connects to the BCM). Is it possible the receiver module locations change from one year to another?

Before I would start ripping out LEDs I think I will start with keeping the iPhone XS home and drive all night long if need be, as this issue occurs almost every night I’m out driving. Going to rule out one theory at a time...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Do what you like (ripping the rear of your car apart is certainly more challenging than the two minutes it takes to disconnect the LEDs, though those sealing caps can be a pain)...given the issue occurs at night when the LED headlights are on, I would still start with them (fyi,I developed the transmitter and receiver TPMS/RKE chips used in the industry). RFI is like magic, and unless you have good equipment you will never figure it out. Your problem could be as simple as a poor ground connection...the problem is figuring out which connection it is. If you had the problem, and then still had the problem with the replaced receiver, that would suggest its not the receiver (though could still be the antenna or ground connection).

FYI, individual modules typically connect to the BCM via CAN bus wiring; they do not need to be next to each other.

GM use to install the RKE module (sorry old reference, since these were around longer than TPMS, but the RKE is the module typically used for receiving the TPMS signal) inside the passenger side front door (usually with the lock module). I would think your tech would know where it is located nowadays.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you had the problem, and then still had the problem with the replaced receiver, that would suggest its not the receiver (though could still be the antenna or ground connection).
Is the antenna for the receiver module internal of the unit itself or external? (like the shark fin up top, lol) and the ground (or harness connector/wiring) is a strong possibility given the location and the notorious issue of the leaky trunk area allowing excess moisture to seep through the carpeted liner (Rust? Corrosion?)

But yea, if switching to stock bulbs and removing the iPhone from vehicle doesn’t resolve then I’m really going to lose it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I can rule out the iPhone/Apple Watch and LEDs, been driving a few nights without either and the problem still persists. Situations like this can really make a person go insane, when I try to talk to others about my issue I keep getting the same look with the raised eyebrow like I’m making this stuff up! I need help guys I’m going through it.

·
Super Moderator
4,252 Posts
So your 2018 1.5 Malibu had no TPMS issues but your 2017 Premier does. Isolating your LED headlights and iPhone made no difference. I'd probably be looking now toward a proximity sensor since that will be a difference between the LT and Premier but that's dealer stuff. If it's not something you own interfering, it'll be a malfunctioning part in the car. I think you'll be stuck working with the dealer to figure out the issue. There aren't many reports of TPMS issues here and what there is has been simple causes like headlights and phones. Good luck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, I can rule out the iPhone/Apple Watch and LEDs, been driving a few nights without either and the problem still persists. Situations like this can really make a person go insane, when I try to talk to others about my issue I keep getting the same look with the raised eyebrow like I’m making this stuff up! I need help guys I’m going through it.
Do you have any other active power adapters (12v to 5v USB) in the car? Some of the cheap Chinese ones are pretty noisy (RFI) which could cause the problem. Did you add any other LED lights anywhere or other accessories?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.