Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to the forum and I hope to give as much as much as I get here. I've been a chevy fanatic all my life. On to the main event. The other day had the first major problem that was unexpected. The vacuum pump seized and grenaded it's entire drive, pieces all around the exhaust cam and reluctor and cam position sensor(cmp). Noticeable scratch marks on the reluctor. Also DTC's P0014 - P0017 - P0556 The first is for Exhaust cam too far advanced, the second is Crank sensor/Cam sensor correlation (out of sync) and the third is for Brake booster pressure sensor circuit/ performance. I removed the vacuum pump and noticed oil sludge build up around supply hole. So after picking out as many pieces of aluminum I could get with tweezers and the metal lugs with a magnet I did flush the engine and changed the oil before installing new pump. Then I cleared the codes and started the engine. It took some time but all cleared. So I thought, P0014 and P0017 came back which also put the car in limp in mode (Reduced engine power) I have checked everything, cleaned the actuator solenoid twice also pulled valve cover to check the timing, check the cam reluctor make sure it was in time, and found the one missing piece of vacuum base that was under the exhaust cam lobes of number 4 cyl. I've tried swapping the actuator solenoids and the cam position sensors (because they are identical intake and exhaust) and still get mainly the P0014 code with the P0017 as a pending code. One other problem that came up is after the car goes in closed loop and operating temp the motor dies. The last checked fuel pressure was on the freeze frame data that read 1420 psi/w 59 psi initial........ so if anyone has had anything similar happen, can you help me with this? I'm missing something?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I can see nobody has a comment about this particular issue, so if I have a request for the forum, do I start a new thread? or continue here?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,221 Posts
What is the request? You can post it here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the request? You can post it here.
Alrighty then, Does anyone have a wiring schematic for 2017 LT 1.5 L (Engine Performance) Need it to cover the cam actuator solenoids?? I think I've found the problem to these codes (P0014-P0017) that so many seem to deal with....I'd like to confirm my theory before sharing, as not to cause any problems for anyone but me. The dealer tells me the service manual is $350 Also I've searched the internet and nothing available YET....

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
I don't think anyone would be harmed by sharing your theory since you are the only user on this forum reporting those two codes on a gen9 car. The service manual USB edition can be had for $300 from official supplier helminc. I recommend alldatadiy which is a licensed subscription source and cheaper. It can be tough to find schematics online since sharing licensed info like that is actually a crime. It shouldn't be, I support right to repair reform but that isn't reality.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't understand I'm the only 9th gen with this problem? I've seen several posts that never concluded.....here is one example...

Hello all,

Got this 2017 Chevy Malibu, 1.5T , 74,100 miles, with push-to-start model that has me stumped. Customer said vehicle was at dealer, paid like $200 in diag, but they did not tell him specifics on what was wrong with vehicle, or any type of print out, just kept telling him "a lot is wrong" and gave him the run-around.

First I wasn't able to start it, it seemed like a bad battery, I call the owner and he tells me to:

• Unlock vehicle
  • Sit in vehicle
  • Without pushing brake pedal press the START button and put vehicle into accessory mode
  • Let 30 - 60 seconds pass, NOT A SECOND EARLIER, and then press brake and START button.

When doing that vehicle started right up.

Then vehicle ran very rough, felt it was going to die, limped vehicle into the shop.

Checked oil level, it was slightly low, maybe 1/2 a quart low, but DIRTY. Almost black. Owner of vehicle told me he had oil change done about a week to two weeks ago at a WalMart. According to customer WalMart used Syn. Blend / Dexos oil.

Did a code scan and got these codes:

• P1014 CHEVROLET - Exhaust Camshaft Position System Performance
  • P1017 CHEVROLET - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor 'B'

And a few over BCM codes that I did not notate. Customer then approved further diagnostic, the tech then used the Autel Scan tool (tablet-like scan tool, not a pocket one) and gave commands to the Intake and Exhaust VVT solenoids, neither responded to commands.

Tech then pulled out Intake and Exhaust VVT solenoids, they were covered in gunk, he cleaned them, cleaned the connectors, and re-installed. Ran the commands and still no response from the solenoids.

Customer approves replacement of VVT Solenoids and a Synthetic Blend oil change.

Replaced Intake and Exhaust VVT solenoids, vehicle still has same weird start-up procedure, but it starts and runs a little better. Does not feel like it is going to stall out anymore, but the engine has this odd "surge" ... at idle the RPMs go from 1K to 2.5K and back down. Inspected with scanner and not the Intake VVT Solenoid responds to commands, but the exhaust DOES NOT. P0014/P0017 still active, tech then pulled the CAMSHAFT sensor out, noticed lots of gunk on that as well and cleaned it and re-installed. Same codes (except the BCM codes) came right back, same odd-surge and odd start-up procedure.

New code popped up:

- P0106 CHEVROLET - Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem

- Tech. then checked vacuum lines, capped off one vacuum line at booster and odd idle surge is still there.

- Tech then checked the Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator and noticed it is stuck at +50* (told me range is -50*, usually at 0* at start up, all the way to +50*)

Tech is telling me it is possible vehicle may have jumped timing, but to diagnose more it would require partial engine tear-down, possible actuator problem, and replacing that may also involve timing chain & components replacement / adjustment.

- I doubt customer will agree to that much $$$ in diagnostics alone, but I also see the tech's frustration since DIAG only pays 1 hour and he is 2 DAYS deep in this vehicle.

Wondering if anyone here has ran into anything like this

Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think anyone would be harmed by sharing your theory since you are the only user on this forum reporting those two codes on a gen9 car. The service manual USB edition can be had for $300 from official supplier helminc. I recommend alldatadiy which is a licensed subscription source and cheaper. It can be tough to find schematics online since sharing licensed info like that is actually a crime. It shouldn't be, I support right to repair reform but that isn't reality.

Thanks for the info, I did go with Mitchell since past experience has shown they have bit more info available. I got the schematic.....but certainly will not post......no criminals here.....I will share what I find, when I find it......just wish others would do the same???

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
I don't understand I'm the only 9th gen with this problem? I've seen several posts that never concluded.....here is one example...
You are right, I didn't find that one. Probably because the codes are different likely from a typo. That was also the guy using non-dexos oil in a sensitive turbo engine - yikes! So yeah, two posts including yours.

I'm glad you found what you needed on Mitchell Pro!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What were you able to figure out on the 2017 1.5 malibu? have same exact issues, thanks
To be honest, still working on it. If you could explain your issues and time frames, that info could help me with diagnostics. I have been searching for anyone with same issues as this, but only found some with similar issues?

·
Registered
3 Posts
To be honest, still working on it. If you could explain your issues and time frames, that info could help me with diagnostics. I have been searching for anyone with same issues as this, but only found some with similar issues, like same codes but different symptoms or conditions.
2016 malibu 1.5 turbo. Gear piece that drives vacuum booster broke, where it engages the end of the exhaust cam. Repalced vacuum pump and got power brakes back but still have p0014 and p0017 codes (crank and exhaust cam not plausible. Changed out all sensors and VVT soleniod with no improvement. Car will start most times, sometimes just a long crank cycle and nothing. Idle is fluctuating most of the time and power is not at %100.

While driving vehicle with scanner attached, the intake cam is running between -50 and 50, like it should. The exhaust cam sensor stays at 0 no matter speed or throttle input. for some reason the car either cna't or is refusing to computer data from exhaust cam sensor. Checked wires and harness, nothing obvious. Exhaust cam isn't broken or sheared at sensor end. Its possible ECM is screwing up the input, but i don't know how to verify that

problem with engine started about a week ago and vacuum pump broke on Friday, sitting at 71K miles on the clock

wonder how much GM is paying to keep this issues off the internet??? this is 2nd forum i posted on and the other one magically disappeared already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey Z28, Cam skipped timing when cog for vacuum pump broke off and wedged between block and camshaft. Chain is stretched and gear is of by 2 teeth. if you listen to your throttle body intake you might be able to hear popping throughout the intake, its the exhaust valves opening at the wrong time. time to tear down and inspect, will see what can be saved. also check your reluctor at the vac booster end of crankshaft mine was about 45 degrees off. its just pressed on there and you can tap it and spin it. the individual tooth should line up with the lazer engraving on camshaft center nut see pic. it also got jammed and spun when vac booster gear broke

1 - 12 of 12 Posts