Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question about my 2018 2.0. I noticed before taking my car to a relative's house for Christmas that my oil was a bit high. It was about a half inch to three fourths over full on the dipstick. I am 100% sure I checked the oil level after the last change and it was maybe a millimeter under the full line. It has been about 1500 miles since the last change. The car is running perfect. It is smooth, has plenty of power, and fuel economy is fine. I rechecked it after a 10 minute drive and let it sit for 30 min and it was still way over the full line. It is out of warranty. Should I take it back to the dealer and have the check?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,878 Posts
Check the oil for contamination. Does it smell like gasoline or have a milky or frothy appearance?

If yes to gasoline smell, questions: what type of driving had you been doing in weeks before the Christmas trip? Short trips such as less than 10 min? How long was the trip you took for Christmas? There is a bulletin for fuel in oil on the 2.0T but I'd want to know more before jumping straight to that.

If yes to milky or frothy, take it in.

If no, and you are 100% sure it was at the correct level after the last oil change, bite the bullet and get another. You could just drain a bit but if there is fuel you aren't smelling it will increase further. Get a change, check it after using a consistent method (drive at least 10 min, let it sit 10 min then check). Then check it again every 250 miles. If it goes up, make an appointment. If it stays the same, you only cost yourself the price of one premature oil change. The simplest explanation is overfill at change.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the oil for contamination. Does it smell like gasoline or have a milky or frothy appearance?

If yes to gasoline smell, questions: what type of driving had you been doing in weeks before the Christmas trip? Short trips such as less than 10 min? How long was the trip you took for Christmas? There is a bulletin for fuel in oil on the 2.0T but I'd want to know more before jumping straight to that.

If yes to milky or frothy, take it in.

If no, and you are 100% sure it was at the correct level after the last oil change, bite the bullet and get another. You could just drain a bit but if there is fuel you aren't smelling it will increase further. Get a change, check it after using a consistent method (drive at least 10 min, let it sit 10 min then check). Then check it again every 250 miles. If it goes up, make an appointment. If it stays the same, you only cost yourself the price of one premature oil change.
The trips had been mostly short recently but the Christmas trip was about 350 miles. I tried smelling the dipstick then wiping it on some paper to smell and can't smell gas. It doesn't look unusual. I took it back and asked if they wanted to drain some or redo it and they agreed to redo it and split the cost. They said the same thing you said that if there is some gas in there and they drain it to the right level the fuel ratio will continue to increase. Make sense. For $20 it seems better to see if it increases again. It will probably be on me and that 100% should have been 99%. I just checked it 10 minutes after I got home and it is right on full. I'll update when I know more.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have now been about 750 miles and oil level has stayed exactly the same. I think this one is settled. Thanks again campb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts