Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018LT 1.5 turbo with just shy of 80,000 miles. Original tranny fluid. The maintenance section in the manual only recommends changing the fluid in the 1.8L hybrid and that's at 240,000 miles. My last malibu was a 2006LT with a 2.2L that stated under normal driving conditions you do not need to change the tranny fluid. The 2006 went 244,000 miles on the original tranny fluid. Never had a single problem with the tranny in that car. Only retired it because the body was rotting out around the power train. The 2018 manual doesn't specifically state you do not need to change the tranny fluid like the 2006 manual did. A friend has a 2017LT and that manual recommends every 45,000 miles for a tranny fluid change. Are there 2 different transmissions from 2017 to 2018. I would trust the no change fluid based off of my last malibu. Just curious as to why the manual only mentions the 1.8L hybrid change. Absolutely no tranny problems what so ever to date. Car is rock solid!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,516 Posts
Use the 2018 severe maintenance schedule. If you have driven below 32F, over 82F, up a hill, in a city, towed, it's severe service. Severe schedule specifies 45,000 on trans fluid. Up to you whether to let it ride or not considering the current mileage.

2017 and 2018 are the same transmissions paired with the 1.5. Both are the 6-speed 6T40.

Attachments

Reactions: repairman54

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,908 Posts
It's a myth that machines don't like to be treated to fresh, new fluid on a regular basis. I've gotten lots of emails from all sorts of machines, and they all say that they'd rather wash down a few miles with a new drink of oil than that sludge they serve as "fluid".

;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of many myths about cars including changing fluid long after service is due. I'm not hard on cars. Slow acceleration when I get on the highway. The mileage is about 85% highway. 90% of the time no passenger just me with my full aftermarket stereo blasting tunes. The rest is with my wife. Occasional fast acceleration getting on the highway. No towing. I'm in southern New England so it sees below 32 and above 82. I'm inclined to let it ride solely based on my success with my last malibu going 244,000 on the original tranny fluid same driving habits. Just curious as to what other malibu owners have done with transmission maintenance!

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Always by the severe schedule and only full synthetic fluids. I tow with my fleet, and even though I'm old the skinny pedal see's the floor regularly.
Mutiple auto. trans. taken to and over the 200k mark and vehicles sold running fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts