Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening,

I own a 2018 Malibu Premier with about 32,000 miles. I take pretty good care of it always change oil at 4500-5000 and use Costco Premium or Shell Premium. Last week while accelerating from a stop light I heard a bang, lost power, and the engine light came on blinking. I pulled over shutoff the car waited and turned it back on. The light was on solid. The idle was rough. I drove forward and noticed I had no power. The light started blinking again. I pulled over and had it towed.

The dealer called and said they found out two cylinders failed with blown pistons. A cylinder wall was damaged. They are contacting GM to see how to proceed next week.

I was given a Cruze loaner and told I would probably have it a while. Dealer is great.

I have now searched online and see many reports of this engine destroying itself and a bunch of the 1.5 too. What is wrong with these engines? I previously had a 2.5 2014 and this engine felt so much better than that raspy rattly thing but jeez. Blown at 32,000?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Get used to the Cruze. Parts have not shipped for 3 weeks now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
RIP. Mine was warped cylinder heads and fried pistons at 59,2xx. Replaced under warranty. Been "Fine" since.

Now at 65K-ish and in for a new recall to be fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back for an update. The engine was replaced with a new engine just over a year ago. The car drove great after and felt new. I am now at 62,500 miles and found an oi leak. It seems to be coming from the rear of the engine and 1/4 of the way down the engine. I took it in and they said it is either the valve cover gasket or head gasket and need to pull it apart to find out. If it is the valve cover the cost is $700 and if the head $1600. I had plugs changed at 59,000 miles even though the engine was replaced at 32,000 just so it would be back on the maint schedule. Could they have caused this? I am no longer under warranty so this time it costs me. I called Chevy and even though they replaced the engine the powertrain warranty doesn't reset. It is just remaining warranty or 1 year from the replacement date. Help?

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,088 Posts
It's hard to believe they could cause an oil leak during a spark plug job, it's ridiculous to have a major engine problem within a year of a full replacement. Would I be correct in assuming you drive mostly highway to accumulate so much mileage in a short time? That should not be hard on the engine at all.

I think if you push Chevy corporate, they may go half-way on the repair cost even though you are out of warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's hard to believe they could cause an oil leak during a spark plug job, it's ridiculous to have a major engine problem within a year of a full replacement. Would I be correct in assuming you drive mostly highway to accumulate so much mileage in a short time? That should not be hard on the engine at all.

I think if you push Chevy corporate, they may go half-way on the repair cost even though you are out of warranty.
Yes I regularly drive between Phoenix and Las Vegas for work. Way more driving than I want to. They think it is the valve cover but say it might be something else. Nobody wants to split any cost. If I let them fix it my worry is it doesn't fix why it started leaking. Thinking I might have to bite the bullet, wipe it off and trade it in as is.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,088 Posts
The whole situation would be unacceptable to me, so I totally agree that trading out of the car after sorting it out might be the best option. A new engine as widely produced and more than half a decade old to sort out manufacturing bugs/defects should never develop an oil leak in a year of highway driving.

I don't blame you for being suspicious of the work done on your car.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,741 Posts
@JerryM62 - did you discuss this with the service manager of your dealership? Not just the advisor and Chevy? If not make sure you get a face to face with the service manager.

Reactions: JerryM62

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to give big thanks to everyone here especially campb. About an hour ago I had a meeting with the service manager. He said the service advisor never even brought the problem to him and he would address that. He agreed the work wasn't proper if it is leaking so soon. The service department has agreed to waive the diagnostic fee for teardown and limit my exposure to $350 no matter what the problem. He then had another guy come and take me to another room to try selling an extended warranty. I took the paperwork to think on but it was $1500 for just 48,000 miles. Seems like they are just trying to get the money back from me another way. I'll keep you updated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,088 Posts
I am not big on extended warranties, if this repair is done properly this time you shouldn't need it. I hope the rest of your experience with the Malibu and the repair goes smoothly!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,741 Posts
I'm glad that idea spurred some positive communication. Occasionally the service manager just doubles down and tells you to suck eggs but sometimes it heals communication hiccups. With your mileage I wouldn't go for the extended warranty/service contract either. It would be up in a year and a half based on your driving and I doubt would be of benefit. If you do decide to keep the car and consider the contract, check the paperwork for exclusions including leaks, issues referenced in a bulletin or recall, or pre-ignition. Those are popping up in many contracts and get them off the hook for just about anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The called this morning and said it is leaking from the front seal and valve cover. They think the tech waited to long before reinstalling the front cover and the seal hardened. That doesn't make sense because it was leaking in the back of the engine not the front. I can't do much but let them try. They gave me a Trax and said they will have it done by Tuesday if the parts come in.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,741 Posts
Multiple locations? If standing in front of the car looking at the engine the front cover isn't what faces you, it faces the passenger side of the car. It is by the airbox and runs vertically. Then the valve/camshaft cover sits on top running side to side. It could all be one leak if located in what you think of as the passenger side rear of the engine. Or, there were two leaks. Hang in there.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,400 Posts
The seal hardened because it was too old??? Sounds like bunk to me. If that's the case, then where's the date/time stamp on the package? What happens to it when it's installed and isn't in a sealed package? Yeah, that just doesn't make sense.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
don't some use a "liquid" seal from a tube that needs to catalyze for a bit before using it??? but if they waiting too long could cause it to firm up too much before the parts are mated???...I've seen these on a few engine build car shows...

Bill

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,741 Posts
I do believe that is correct, SilverSport/Bill. I read of the process and it looks like the 2.0T uses some kind of liquid sealant on the front cover. It describes a 4mm bead that must be applied consistently.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,400 Posts
Wow, they just keep making things weirder and weirder!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,741 Posts
I am bothered by something. You wrote they think the tech waited too long before reinstalling the front cover. Perhaps I am taking that too literally, but reinstalling? Wasn't this a new engine? Why would a tech be "reinstalling" the front cover? Does that need to come off the new engine during engine replacement? Based on what I know, it doesn't but then again I've never replaced an engine. Seems odd.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the car back today. Hopefully a week from now it is still leak free. I'll try to baby it a while now knowing it is so fragile.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts