Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, what are your thoughts, YES its salvage, actual link is here:

dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/dallas-2018-chevrolet-malibu-ls/7048496099.html

Good deal? If so, how good?

TIA,
MBAM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actual listing goes like this:

"This is a brand new 2018 Chevy Malibu LS with 76 miles.I have 9 of these in various colors. Great on gas 1.5 litre turbo, auto trans. All features work perfect. This car has a flood salvage title. Insurance co. marked waterline 6 inches up the wheels. Pics of under dash, under seat and spare tire area included. Go buy new for $24k or buy this one for $10500. If you drive a piece of paper (title) this may not be the car for you, but if you would like to drive brand new for a fraction of the cost come see this one. I accept cash, cashiers check, bank wire transfer. I will verify funds on cashiers check and bank wire before car is released. I do not finance. show contact info "

So it had water in it. Now I know this car even on a good day won't sell for $24K but I still feel inclined to it. I really wished for an LT just to get the power driver seat but ahh, I can live without it I guess.

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Nope, flood salvage takes it off table for me.

EDIT: I was a bit short in my response - allow me to expand now that I have had time to look at the listing:

1) The compass currently says CAL at 76 miles. This could mean the battery negative has been pulled or battery itself has been replaced and it is still calibrating. Mine will say that for a couple minutes if I pull the negative but quickly changes to the relevant direction. This car would need to be started, driven, and stopped through several cycles to see if fault codes are being hidden by disconnecting or replacing the battery to be safe.
2) The fuel level is 1/8 at 76 miles. This means either fuel leaked or was drained or the vehicle has been idling for a long, long time at a low mileage.
3) The date on the MyLink screen is 7/26/2019 which is a long time ago. What has been happening to the car since then?
4) The driver-side rear car mat has a brown area. That could be a reflection but it looks like water or mud was there.
5) The spare tire well looks like it was full of water. There is a clear line between clean and what appears rust/iron-colored in the pic. Again could be shadows but I have a pic of mine and it doesn't show that way in pics.

·
Super Moderator
4,662 Posts
Flood salvage is a $10,500 risk without a safety net. There are two common car deals you should avoid: salvage titles (floods especially) and rental fleet sales. They offer incredibly attractive prices for a reason.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I will agree with most of what’s said above, though I think a few of them (my compass will say CAL for a few minutes in the morning if I park in the garage and don’t drive it a few days at times, nothing having to do with removing the battery or an issue for one thing) are a stretch but overall the gamble of a flood vehicle to stay healthy long term is one I’m personally not willing to take and I wouldn’t suggest others do as well.

The other things to look at are financing and insurance. Unless you pay cash for the car you’ll struggle to find anyone to give you a loan on it and insurance will be a bugger to get on an already salvage vehicle.

You also have little to no resale value.

At that price or close to it you can find a couple year old, under 30k LS or LT which is basically a new car and not have any of the above issues and if you go to sell it or trade it in will get something back for it. Seems a much better deal in my mind.

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
I will agree with most of what’s said above, though I think a few of them (my compass will say CAL for a few minutes in the morning if I park in the garage and don’t drive it a few days at times, nothing having to do with removing the battery or an issue for one thing) are a stretch
The CAL oddity wasn't really meant and shouldn't stand alone, just to be another part of the big picture. I will explain why I included it as an oddity: The car is parked outside in what appears to be an urban area, is fully warmed up, and still says CAL. My experience is only with the gen9 Malibus I have been in... mine immediately displays the last direction on startup as has every gen9 Malibu I have ever been in. For some reason this one lost that last compass/direction info. I could theorize the GPS data in the area is missing but the MyLink also says LTE and shows a full signal as well as RDS data - seems modern tech is present and functioning. Battery removal at some point seems like the simplest explanation for the persistent CAL in the photos.

Great additional points about insurance and/or financing. You also won't find a 3rd party service contract provider or extended warranty administrator to cover a salvage.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Run away as fast as your legs can carry you. If a 2yr new car was worth a darn it would have been in service or sold a long time ago. IMO typical too good to be true send me the money Crapslist stuff....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts