Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car just recently started having issues when the auto stop/start is initiated. Once I let my foot off the brake my electronics all reset (Radio, Dash, etc). I briefly get a "Steering assist reduced drive with care" message on dash, sometimes a little steering wheel shaking, then car proceeds as normal. I then monitored my battery while in auto stop/start and noticed my battery is quickly losing voltage once the system initiated. If I stay in auto stop/start long enough it'll lose too much voltage to restart the car. Just yesterday my car initiated auto stop/start and completely died. Both my battery & alternator were checked and were fine. Seems as if the problem is exclusive to the auto stop/start system. I plan on taking to the dealer In a few days to see if they can find the problem. I will update on this post for anybody having the same issue. Does anybody know what fuses are connected to the stop/start system? Also what the positive battery junction/distributor box (On positive battery terminal labeled violet, curry, pink wires, etc) supplies power to? Tried finding diagrams but no luck 馃槖

Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
I'm with @TheSilverOne. Battery tends to be 3-5 years and the tests aren't very useful. A 2018 is usually bought mid-late 2017 or sometime early-mid 2018 meaning the battery is somewhere around 4 years since production. If you've got warranty you should definitely take it in for diagnosis in case it's the battery sensor or the battery distribution box but neither has been problematic (yet) in these cars. If not under warranty and you don't want to eat the diagnostic fee or pay double for battery replacement you might scan for codes yourself or just replace the battery as maintenance.

If you have interest in diagrams you might consider a subscription to alldatadiy. It has all the diagrams you would ever want. F41 in the instrument panel fuse box is the BCM fuse linked to stop/start.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any update? I am having the same exact problem, with assisted steering and radio. Also 2018.
Changed my battery a few days ago. Though car is running better, battery voltage is still sporadic. Car voltage will regulate properly on one trip but next voltage will remain 12.5 (while running) on the next trip. Been reading other post and starting to think it may be a battery sensor or problem with bcm. Will check bcm fuse/relays to assure there power through them. Next step would be dealership to see if they can check grounds on battery terminals & sensors.

Since then I've been driving in L6 to avoid the stop/start function. Works much better without it 馃し馃徔鈥嶁檪锔

My question for you is did you happen to jump start another vehicle using your malibu before this happened?

Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
Changed my battery a few days ago. Though car is running better, battery voltage is still sporadic. Car voltage will regulate properly on one trip but next voltage will remain 12.5 (while running) on the next trip. Been reading other post and starting to think it may be a battery sensor or problem with bcm. Will check bcm fuse/relays to assure there power through them. Next step would be dealership to see if they can check grounds on battery terminals & sensors.

Since then I've been driving in L6 to avoid the stop/start function. Works much better without it 馃し馃徔鈥嶁檪锔

My question for you is did you happen to jump start another vehicle using your malibu before this happened?
Do you still get the error messages, electronic resets, and fail to restart coming out of Auto Stop?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts