Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 2018 malibu lt 1.5l turbo, I have a p0243 code. I seen gms bulletin on this code it says to clear out or replace the turbocharger wastegate solenoid. I went ahead and replaced the solenoid but the code keeps coming up. Anyone ever have this issue ? Car seems to run fine just keeps giving the reduced engine power and a check engine light with the p0243 code.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I have a 2018 malibu lt 1.5l turbo, I have a p0243 code. I seen gms bulletin on this code it says to clear out or replace the turbocharger wastegate solenoid. I went ahead and replaced the solenoid but the code keeps coming up. Anyone ever have this issue ? Car seems to run fine just keeps giving the reduced engine power and a check engine light with the p0243 code.
Hi I have the same car and had it for 2 years. This code has been coming up since then and "reduced engine power". I took it to Chevrolet and they found no issues. The car runs fine but I can tell the difference in how the engine shifts when it does come on but still no major issues. The newest issue now is that when i stop and the car auto shut off, now
it will shut the car off or act like it doesn't want to crank back up like its supposed to.

· Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,596 Posts
The newest issue now is that when i stop and the car auto shut off, now
it will shut the car off or act like it doesn't want to crank back up like its supposed to.
I would start by resolving this. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "act like it doesn't want to crank back up". Does it restart or not? Does it struggle to restart but still restart? At 5 years it is probably due for battery replacement. You could try getting it tested first but the tests don't simulate the stop/start condition with all the active draws.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve had car at a shop for two days , they’ve tested all the system to do with this code and all checked out fine , solenoid , wastegate and wiring . They can’t seem to find what’s causing this code to keep coming back up right away . So I guess like you I’ll just have to drive it with the check engine light on .

· Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
I’ve had car at a shop for two days , they’ve tested all the system to do with this code and all checked out fine , solenoid , wastegate and wiring . They can’t seem to find what’s causing this code to keep coming back up right away . So I guess like you I’ll just have to drive it with the check engine light on .
Time for a competent shop. If you have an engine light on and they say everything is fine they aren't fit to tie shoes. If there is a light on and they can't figure it out the correct answer is "I'm sorry, I am not knowledgeable enough and/or lack the equipment to figure this out."

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Time for a competent shop. If you have an engine light on and they say everything is fine they aren't fit to tie shoes. If there is a light on and they can't figure it out the correct answer is "I'm sorry, I am not knowledgeable enough and/or lack the equipment to figure this out."
The shop called me back today and told me like I said before all components relating to the code test out fine , they’re now saying the code keeps coming back up because the pcm is bad and needs replaced . Has anyone heard of this going bad on a 5 year old car ?

· Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
The shop called me back today and told me like I said before all components relating to the code test out fine , they’re now saying the code keeps coming back up because the pcm is bad and needs replaced . Has anyone heard of this going bad on a 5 year old car ?
I have not read of ECM failure on a gen9 car. From experience with other cars, it would be unusual for an ECM failure to only affect one specific circuit but work normally with all other components. It would be like replacing a desktop CPU because a keyboard stopped working. I would ask if the ECM does not correct the issue will you still have to pay for a potentially unnecessary replacement? If no, I see no harm other than their time.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update just incase anyone needs it , got the car back from the shop yesterday . After replacing the pcm codes cleared and have put almost 100 miles on the car with no issue so far .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts