Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 Premier for the past few months has developed the "Clunk" coming from the rear suspension. After reading posts on this forum and watching youtube vidoes, it could be a number of things. But it is starting to lean toward the knuckle bushing.
I have seen driveway mechanics fix their own solutions by either replacing the entire knuckle assembly. Others try to grease the lower bushing by pulling back the rubber boot and shoot grease with a grease gun. I am tempted to try the second option.
My question is that in some of the videos, the guys place a jack directly beneath the lower control arm and lift the vehicle. Wouldn't that bend the aluminum control arm? I am trying to think out loud how I could carefully lift my car and still apply some pressure to the lower control arm in order to remove the bottom bolt that goes inside the lower bushing and try the "re-grease it" option.

Thank you all for any insight...馃

Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
There are jacking locations identified in the owner's manual. Aside from them, you can use the suspension, but only at the joints, not in the middle of the arms.

Registered
You can't grease your way out. The cheap bushing is cracked so you get a little movement. Grease might cushion and condition the bushing but in a few days or a week it'll return.

Registered
2017 Malibu Premier
I've lifted many cars by placing my jack on the control arm, and have never had a problem. I didn't know this might be a bad idea. Googling it finds some articles saying not to it, and lots of people saying it's fine to do it. I like using the control arm for tire/brake work, because the car doesn't need to be raised as high off the ground, which is safer. If you use the pinch weld or frame to lift the car, you must lift it high enough to decompress the suspension fully, then even higher to get the tire off the ground.

If you just need to relieve some suspension pressure, I'd probably jack it up (from either the frame or the control arm) then put a jack stand at the pinch weld, then (move the jack if necessary) use the jack to apply just the amount of pressure you need on the control arm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts