Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Malibu and regret it! Car has always had issues, randomly but I’ll skip those for now and talk about the current issue. Christmas Day, car would not start and brake was hard as a rock, advised needed break booster, had the replaced, car still wouldn’t start advised MAF sensor, had that replaced. Car still wouldn’t start, advised most likely the recall, had that serviced, still won’t start, advised it was the high pressure fuel pump, still won’t start! I am out of patience, tears and money after nearly 30days without a vehicle... I am lost!

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,543 Posts
Why are you throwing parts at it like that? A shop should be able to diagnose the problem and at least send you on your way with a car that starts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These were all first set was from dealer, they wanted more money for additional diagnostic that I did not have at the time, high pressure fuel pump was a legitimate mechanic diagnostic, he was unavailable to put the part on, had to wait for the part from the dealer, once got the part, he put it on still won’t start. I didn’t guess at these parts were all told by either the dealer or the other machanic. At this point I have to wait to take it back to the dealer pay the additional 330 for additional diagnostic, but seeing as I’m. 1000 in so far that will have to wait. Was trying to see if anyone else had issues similar.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,479 Posts
I think it's more that the mechanics were guessing, not you.

When paying for a service that includes parts, ask them to guarantee that it will fix the problem or you don't get charged. They'll either ask you to leave (good, 'cuz then you find a real shop) or step up to the plate and actually do some work to figure it out. Either way, you win.

Step 1 is to get the codes read. I'm sure they did that already, but for our members to help you as best as they can, please get them and post them here. Also include the odometer, engine size, transmission type and/or # of gears, and any recent maintenance that might bear on the issue. If not sure, include it and folks can still help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it's more that the mechanics were guessing, not you.

When paying for a service that includes parts, ask them to guarantee that it will fix the problem or you don't get charged. They'll either ask you to leave (good, 'cuz then you find a real shop) or step up to the plate and actually do some work to figure it out. Either way, you win.

Step 1 is to get the codes read. I'm sure they did that already, but for our members to help you as best as they can, please get them and post them here. Also include the odometer, engine size, transmission type and/or # of gears, and any recent maintenance that might bear on the issue. If not sure, include it and folks can still help.
These were all first set was from dealer, they wanted more money for additional diagnostic that I did not have at the time, high pressure fuel pump was a legitimate mechanic diagnostic, he was unavailable to put the part on, had to wait for the part from the dealer, once got the part, he put it on still won’t start. I didn’t guess at these parts were all told by either the dealer or the other machanic. At this point I have to wait to take it back to the dealer pay the additional 330 for additional diagnostic, but seeing as I’m. 1000 in so far that will have to wait. Was trying to see if anyone else had issues similar.
I had a similar issue with my wife's 2008 Chevy Malibu. The dealer ship had know clue what was wrong with it but charged me a tone of money by just putting parts on it to see if that fixed it. none of that worked car still would not start for weeks on time and when it did it would not start again after we would turn it off just to go shopping. After that car sat for in my driveway car was done. From 2016 to early part of 2020.
This is the part that is going to piss alot of people off cause it did for me. To get the car going again there is a piece in the ignition that had broke and needed to be replaced. A friend that I work with is a mechanic and work on chevy cars and trucks for 16yrs, fixed the problem in 3hrs after I dropped it off to him. Have someone you trust check the ignition switch. Feel free to write me back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s currently still in the shop! They are baffled, they called and asked me if I thought maybe it was struck by lightening, I thought it was a joke. 2 days later they called and asked me if it’s been in water... I’m like the rain, they said no in a body of water!!! Wtf... No! So now still waiting. I will suggest the ignition thing to them. Thanks for sharing

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,910 Posts
Is this work being done at a GM dealer? How many miles on this car?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.