Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 1.5L LT Chevy Malibu. As far as maintenance only thing I’m working with right now is a mass air flow sensor issue just to be thorough. So a while ago my radio screen just went completely black. No sound nothing. Like it doesn’t exist. But my back up camera still works. Only weird thing is my lines for the back up camera are gone.
Recently my radio has started turning on when I’m at a light and the car auto stops it’ll turn on and connect to my phone and play music. The numbered buttons for saved radio stations are greyed out like I’m sure y’all have seen before when it lags but as soon as I take my foot off the break it goes back off. Idek where to start. The only codes are codes related I forget exactly but it was like a antenna not getting any signal code Wich is obvious if the radio isn’t working.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,242 Posts
I'd do a full scan that includes B C P and U codes. Then before working on the radio I figure out the MAF problem. Which speaking of, should know what leads you to that. A code? P1011 or something else?

I'd look to the Battery Distribution Fuse Block. It's the big block that sits on the positive battery terminal. Might be something loose or a blown fuse on that. Careful.

Reactions: Shai555

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd do a full scan that includes B C P and U codes. Then before working on the radio I figure out the MAF problem. Which speaking of, should know what leads you to that. A code? P1011 or something else?

I'd look to the Battery Distribution Fuse Block. It's the big block that sits on the positive battery terminal. Might be something loose or a blown fuse on that. Careful.
Okay. I can understand what your talking about but I’m not a car guy so is there something I could buy to read those codes? I’d be willing to spend a little on something that will help me long term or should I just go pay to have someone scan those for me? And yes the P1011 code. That’s a whole story in itself. I replaced the part and felt fine and code came up again. I had a guy use a volt tester and last we got after he looked at it was I should clean out my throttle body and then replace the MAF again. He’s getting signal to the MAF connector but his high tech computer isn’t picking up any kind of MAF and no change when it’s unplugged like it should be. Just straight high idle whole time.
- now I’ll mention this part but I kinda barly understand what he told me but he said he thinks I should clean out my throttle body because he seen some oil around there and said that may have gotten into my intake or what not and be causing the MAF to have gon bad very quickly after I replaced it. I hope that makes since.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,242 Posts
P1101 on these engines is almost never the MAF. It is usually a dirty throttle body, poorly sealed airbox or wrong filter, or a plugged PCV orifice in the camshaft cover. If you search P1101 in the gen9 section you'll see several discussions on it.

The throttle body cleaning is pretty easy. If you had someone notice oil in it they are probably capable of cleaning since popping the spring clip is probably the most cumbersome part. Even that is easy though. I just cleaned mine "for fun" a couple weeks ago.

As for codes, you can pay for a diagnostic or buy a decent code scanner. Sometimes dealers have a coupon for a cheap scan. Parts stores can read for free but can't guarantee they see anything beyond P codes. I use a BlueDriver which runs about $100 and reads all 4 code families as well as live monitoring. Alldatadiy can tell you almost everything you might need to know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P1101 on these engines is almost never the MAF. It is usually a dirty throttle body, poorly sealed airbox or wrong filter, or a plugged PCV orifice in the camshaft cover. If you search P1101 in the gen9 section you'll see several discussions on it.

The throttle body cleaning is pretty easy. If you had someone notice oil in it they are probably capable of cleaning since popping the spring clip is probably the most cumbersome part. Even that is easy though. I just cleaned mine "for fun" a couple weeks ago.

As for codes, you can pay for a diagnostic or buy a decent code scanner. Sometimes dealers have a coupon for a cheap scan. Parts stores can read for free but can't guarantee they see anything beyond P codes. I use a BlueDriver which runs about $100 and reads all 4 code families as well as live monitoring.
Cool I’ll probably get the blue driver. I’m really a look it up and figure it out myself type of person if I can. I do little stuff like I replaced that MAF myself and can do oil breaks just Recently changed a bearing lol. I can figure stuff out. But I’m glad to hear you say that because that means I must be close to finding the issue. Now would it still not be the MAF even though during live scan he still couldn’t pick it up? He was saying during live scan he wasnt getting no reading on it at all. And in reference to the distributor box lol I read up on that how do I maybe change it out without electrocuting myself?😂

1 - 6 of 6 Posts