Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just took my 2018 Chevy Malibu to service department due to a recall on ECM. When I went to retrieve my vehicle everything was fine. Get home and try to shut off my car shift to park message pop up and wouldn’t shut off my vehicle. Couldn’t get in till today to change it. Does the ECM control the shifter in any way bc I had to come out of pocket $200 for deductible and was informed by Chevy service department there’s been alot of Chevy vehicles in for shifters as well.
Shouldn’t it be covered by Chevy manufacturers for shifter??

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
@Lnieto111:
I see you have now edited your post. Thank you for that. I have moved your post to the gen9 section and updated the title to be a bit more descriptive.

Most of the car's systems interact to some degree but I doubt your ECM update is related here. The shifter issue and the resulting "shift to park" message leaving electronics on is a fault in the shifter. The fix process for a long time involved replacing the shifter. Recently a new bulletin was released that had a new much cheaper fix. Take a look at the thread below. Post 2 explains what I assume you experienced and has the new bulletin. The final post is an example of what an owner paid for the new fix. The question then would be what fix did your dealer perform?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts