Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a new 2019 Chevy Malibu with the Android Auto Head Unit, and am having issues with Google Maps. Using my Galaxy S9+ with the original Samsung USB cable, when I open Maps on the Head Unit, my location jumps around every second. When I'm on a route, Maps cannot determine where I am, and continually re-routes me, even though I'm driving straight.

When I restart my phone with it still plugged into the car, the issue goes away. I never had any issues like this on my 2017 Malibu, and my phone doesn't act like this when it is disconnected from the car.

I did some basic troubleshooting, such as reinstalling Android Auto on my phone, ensuring Power Saving mode is off, and even ensured my Head Unit is up to date with the latest firmware.

My girlfriend also tried her phone (Also a Samsung Galaxy S9+) and it showed the same behavior.

Has anyone else run into this issue, or have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thank you!

Small Update 2/12/2019:

I took my car into the dealership and they seemed to be pretty stumped on it so they gave me a rental while they look into it.
I tried Google Maps using Android Auto in the rental car (2019 Equinox) and it worked without any issues. So it seems that there's something with the car that is wrong.

I did a little research and found that Google Maps actually checks to see if a vehicle GPS antenna is available, and will default to the vehicle's GPS antenna if available. So I wonder if the GPS antenna in my car is the root-cause.

Update 2/17/2019
So I got my car back from the Dealership on Friday, and they essentially weren't able to re-create any issues in the car. They used a Galaxy S5 (with the MicroUSB connector), and were able to use Maps without any issue. They said it's likely due to an incompatibility with the phone, and that they couldn't do anything.

So I guess I'm back to square-1. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?

·
Registered
62 Posts
did you try to use waze through AA to see if it had the same problem?

also, try just switching Bluetooth off then on instead of restarting your phone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Waze works without any problems - GPS quickly finds my location, and the GPS stays consistently accurate. Google Maps seems to be the only issue.
I tried switching Bluetooth off, but it didn't make any difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, when the phone is disconnected from the car, Google Maps works perfectly fine.
I've actually unplugged my phone from my car a few times just to use Google Maps in my car while driving.

Google Maps even works while Android Auto (just the App on the phone - not connected to the car) is running. The second I connect the phone to the car, the map on the Head Unit (Radio Display) jumps around and cannot make a fix to my location, it seems.

This behavior makes me wonder if the issue is with Chevrolet's Android Auto integration, or if there is a bug somewhere in Google's Android Auto/Google Maps integration.

I'm thinking about bringing my car into the dealership, since Google Maps is a huge selling-point for me, but don't yet have time to commit to it.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,301 Posts
My bet is the issue is with that specific version(s) of Google Maps with the firmware in the new "infotainment 3" or whatever they call it now. You mentioned Waze is working fine. That doesn't make a lot of sense as Google owns Waze and the development teams have been integrated for a couple years now - unless of course Maps received an bugged update that hasn't trickled to Waze yet.

Unfortunately these issues with AA and CarPlay crop up from time to time. One user has it working fine, another can't using the same hardware. What will be different are the specific versions or configs on each device. Have you tried clearing the data and cache in the Apps menu for google Maps?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's my thought too, and I automatically assumed it was a software mismatch issue to some extent. I've submitted some bug reports to Google but haven't gotten any feedback yet. The Waze thing really confuses me too.

Yeah, I've cleared all cache for Maps and Android Auto, and even re-installed them. Also ensured Power Saving was off and turned off "Battery Optimization" for both Maps and AA.

Recently, I've run into another issue where I'll get a phone call while my phone is connected to my car via Android Auto and Bluetooth, and I am unable to Answer/Ignore the call (Either from Android Auto or the Chevrolet Software). The ringing noise (which comes from the Chevy Software) continues to ring until the car is turned off or an OnStar call is placed, even if the phone is completely turned off and disconnected.

On top of that, my suspension is making some strange noises, so I decided to schedule an appointment with the Dealership to have everything looked at on Friday. I'm hoping that they're able to diagnose some type of issue, just to prove that I'm not completely insane lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Small Update:

I took my car into the dealership and they seemed to be pretty stumped on it so they gave me a rental while they look into it.
I tried Google Maps using Android Auto in the rental car (2019 Equinox) and it worked without any issues. So it seems that there's something with the car that is wrong.

I did a little research and found that Google Maps actually checks to see if a vehicle GPS antenna is available, and will default to the vehicle's GPS antenna if available. So I wonder if the GPS antenna in my car is the root-cause.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I got my car back from the Dealership on Friday, and they essentially weren't able to re-create any issues in the car. They used a Galaxy S5 (with the MicroUSB connector), and were able to use Maps without any issue. They said it's likely due to an incompatibility with the phone, and that they couldn't do anything.

So I guess I'm back to square-1. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,352 Posts
YOU have a Galaxy S9+ and THEY tested it with a Galaxy S5? Um, did they miss something in the translation between your mouth and the service writer?

They advertise that it works with Android phones and then don't stand behind it? Or am I missing something here?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep. That's correct. I tried arguing that it doesn't make sense that they tested it with a phone that is more than a few generations old, but they insisted that "the car is doing what it is supposed to be doing."

I'm tempted to take it into a different dealership, but I feel that I'm going to get the same type of response.

Android Auto should work with AT LEAST flagship phones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had a similar experience with my Samsung J3 and a Hertz 2019 Malibu I rented. I first noticed the map pointer was backwards after restarting the car, and when the pointer was backwards, the directions were sending me in the opposite direction when navigating.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,301 Posts
For owners of the 2019 Malibu with the Infortainment 3/I3Plus, there is a car-side update to fix various issues described here. Many vehicles will receive the update over the air and all you need to do is accept the update and install. If you decline (or someone declines without you knowing) it will stay declined. Those without data connectivity, those in low speed data areas, and all fleet customers (such as rentals) need the update performed manually meaning none of them have it. The April bulletin is #19-NA-047 but I also see 19-NA-131 with data not defined that many be another new update. Under warranty they will perform this update free of charge (or at least they used to, as I have had 2 updates done to my old 2016 MyLink and AA/Carplay).

It is also important to remember multiple issues can be in play and GPS stuff can be funky. Sometimes new versions of AA confuse permissions if you have custom settings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

I am also getting the same issue with my Chevy Malibu 2019, whenever I connect my One Plus 6 phone with Android Auto, the Google maps and Waze pointer jumps from one direction to other but the maps work absolutely fine in my phone. Is there any resolution? Do I need to replace it because I have warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the very same issue with the map direction flip flopping thing with Samsung S8 & 2019 Malibu AA. Super annoying. Works fine as long as USB is not connected and connected via blue tooth so audio will come through for directions but will not show properly on car screen if connected via USB and tries to reroute driving straight. Anyone find a fix???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts