Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased new 2019 Malibu RS end of May. Had immediate intermittent violent steering wheel shake between 35 - 45 mph. Detailed several incidents - there were many more - and returned to purchasing dealer - service couldn't duplicate the problem. Returned the car again at ~ 6300 miles with 16 incidents detailed - and told service that I felt the car was unsafe to drive and I requested a buyout with Chevy Customer Satisfaction. Filed a request with GM Executive Referral and was told that because I filed a report for a request for a buyout - NOT safety - that my case would be "escalated" and the advisor would be contacting Regional Chevy Service and After Sale Rep regarding the problem with the car and he would get back with me. Dealer provided a vehicle. After multiple communications with GM Exec Referral and dealership personnel, last Tuesday, I was advised that the car had been fixed per a recent service repair bulletin and that the car had been driven about 30 miles and the problem couldn't be duplicated. Spoke with GM Exec Referral who then told me that he had contacted the dealer and was told that the car was repaired and ready to be picked up and any more about a buyout would have to go through the dealership management and not Chevrolet. I had requested to speak with GM Regional Service and After Sales Rep but was told that was not possible. Also requested a written report on what GM Exec Referral and Chevrolet customer Service did with my request and was told that they will not put anything in writing in relation to my case. I requested that my case be kept open and that I would discuss the buyout next week with the dealership General Manager regarding a buyout. Chevy put out a bulletin August 19, 2019 regarding the steering wheel shaking and shimmy and it sounded as if it was written by an engineering intern. It was advised that engineering was working on a solution and that the bulletin affected all Malibu's from 2016 - 2020. The ultimate "fix" was a service repair bulletin to reprogram the ECM issued a week or so ago. In the previous service trips, none of the incidents read out on the computer. There were at least three incidents of the steering wheel shaking between 65 - 70 mph. Has anyone had this problem and is anyone aware of the "fix" being just a re-programming or also a mechanical replacement of a part / parts? And which? Did the "fix" work? My dealer has been excellent in assisting me. Chevy Customer Service / GM Exec Referral...…… not pleased. Any insight / knowledge of this existing problem and the "fix" ? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,508 Posts
I have read a couple posts about steering wheel shaking 38-40 mph but in a somewhat different situation. There was an October bulletin for "no hands on steering wheel shake" at a specific speed that had a process update of engineering working on a solution then a final correction of "Explain to the customer that they should have at least one hand on the steering wheel at all times". I am not sure how the steering wheel would know the driver isn't touching it firmly but it is what it is:

No hands on wheel shake:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10168231-9999.pdf

Hands on wheel shake (new):

The problem: you note an additional shake from 65-70 mph as well and no mention of "look no hands!" driving. Your issue may be a different (or might be two separate issues). Did the ECM update change the behavior or have you not taken the car back to test? Another owner reported his "hands off steering wheel shake" came from a bad axle seal on the driver's side where it meets the transmission. Again, these may be different issues as behavior you describe (so far) is different.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was the First to report this issue Years ago....everybody thought I was nuts, said it was this or that … Now its a TSB and lots of drivers noticing....

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,508 Posts
Please stop.

1) who is "everybody"? I couldn't find anyone calling you nuts.

2) who is "lots of people"? In your thread there are 2 maybe 3 but never found out the third for sure.

3) we don't even know yet if this user is using a no hands driving method consistent with that bulletin, which has been asked about. Plus it happens at different speeds than your "no hands" bulletin issue.

Do us a favor and just wait for info before leading the discussion in a fixed direction and wasting time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I have not picked the car up yet and will deal with the Gen Mgr. and service department before I do that. I requested that the case be kept open as originally a safety issue and a requested GM / Chevrolet buyout. I don't drive with no hands on the steering wheel. Even if a person did, the steering wheel should not shake like that. It's not a warning system, although there are digital / audio warning systems on some GM vehicles like the 2020 Equinox. One of my questions was - and I was hoping would be answered by a real GM mechanic who knows the answer - is, is the ECM programming effective in taking care of the problem and if there is / was also a mechanical part replacement / repair along with the reprogramming. I drive a lot of highway miles, which is ONE reason I bought a new Malibu, and driving 75 mph or 38 mph with a violently shaking steering wheel IS a safety issue. The warranty will also go quickly and I don't want to have to replace a steering system at my expense or deal with a traffic accident from the issue. I don't have much confidence that it's corrected or IS an issue with ECM programming. The bulletin did not say that driving with no hands on the steering wheel was the problem. It suggested that one should drive with both hands on the steering wheel. Engineering was working on a solution. The fact that the bulletin covers 5 model years and has not been fixed - how many Malibu's are out there that have the same problems for the last 5 model years that aren't fixed or dealt with? I'd think there are a lot of people who are not happy with their Malibu's and concerned about their safety. Why isn't there more info on the internet about this? What IS Chevrolet doing to get all of those cars in to be fixed? I've already heard the GM was strike statement...…… GM management / engineering wasn't...…… for the last 5 model years...…….

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,508 Posts
Ok, so now we at least know the issue is not the one @RcClockman has and referenced. That issue is only around 38-40 mph and hands must be off the wheel (see bulletin and @RcClockman's discussion I already linked). There are three other forum members who reported that issue. I searched the forum and found 4 reports of wheel shaking at a specific speed and 1 was tire balancing, one was an axle seal, two are in process. It's not one issue, it is a few different issues owners confuse.

Why isn't there more info on the internet about this?
The issue is rare, isolated, and seems to need individual diagnosis. Because it is rare it doesn't mean it is minor. However, as forum users often like to dramatize, nothing seems to indicate "lots of drivers" or "all these cars" need fixes. Your car and a problem it has can be major. Your dealer did diagnose and perform a correction. You refused to accept that correction which is your right if you believe the techs/engineers are wrong. It also means there is nothing more to speculate about. I am not even sure what the safety concern is; in this land of wild speculation no one has suggested the wheel stops shaking and starts spinning or anything similar.

I don't want to continually post links and sources debunking wild claims and misinformation while tamping down pointless speculation. If GM says the car is fixed but you won't pick up the car to verify or refuse because of safety concerns, the issue is now between you, the dealer, and GM. There isn't anymore that can be done here as we are just fellow owners. We hope you receive a resolution that is satisfactory. Discussion closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.