Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my car in for a Cracked Spark Plug. This is the second time in 100 miles that this has happened. The first time was on Cylinder 1, and this time it was on Cylinder 3. This time they are keeping it overnight to see if it happens again.

My service Tech at the dealership told me that there is a bulletin out on it, so they know that there is a problem. All they keep doing is replacing the spark plugs.

I saw an older post about this on 2012 Malibus, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,692 Posts
Welcome. I remember seeing this bulletin and wondered if we would ever see an owner come through and report it. Unfortunately, you're the first I can recall under gen9. The bulletin affects the 2018-2020 Malibu and an assortment of 2018-2019 Cruze, 2020 Buick Encore, 2018 Equinox, 2018-2019 GMC Terrain an a couple others. I hope they figure it out; busted plugs is no good. Seems like a case of overtorquing on install or there is some knock or detonation occurring. Out of curiosity: what part number did it say on your documentation the first time?

Here is the bulletin PIP5657B: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165910-9999.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try and get that Information. When i go back tomorrow i was going to ask for the Bulletin number and the part numbers associated with it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,692 Posts
The part number would be on your service order/invoice from the first replacement. It doesn't really matter, no big deal. I'm glad they are keeping the car to test out the 2nd replacement more thoroughly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts