Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help! I have a 2019 Chevy Malibu with 50k miles. I bought used on October 29th 2020. I’ve already had to replace the air intake sensor and now it’s pulling 27 codes; ESC, TCM, ABS, BCM my power steering went out, my gauges went haywire and has left me stranded twice. The local Chevrolet dealership cannot figure out what is wrong with it and they keep giving me my car back and it keeps breaking down. My local dealer has not been helpful. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,378 Posts
Used cars can be a minefield. Sometimes totally fine, sometimes a mess. I would need to know the 27 fault codes, what the dealer has diagnosed, repaired, tried to repair, when the problems first started (date/mileage), and more description of what the car does when "normal" and what happens when stranded (motor off but gauges on, gauges off, what happens when you restart, etc). That many codes could be as simple as a failing battery.

I moved this discussion from gen8 to gen9.

·
Registered
2018 LT 1.5L DI Turbo DOHC 4cyl 6sp Automatic
3 Posts
I'm sorry for the bad experience; first off, I would suggest you replace the car battery; I ran into issues with mine and it was spitting out a bunch of codes and they couldn't figure it out but once I swapped in a new battery, it was all good. I would also have the ground terminal checked for possible corrosion or it's just simply loose. If all diff types of sensors start to spit codes and they are not related, it could be that the car is not getting enough volts in the system to handle them all. I'd check that and then check the relays or fuses. Make sure you check your warranty status with Chevy and if they offer any type of extended warranty as well as what other dealerships or recommended shops you can take it so it's at least on their records and you can keep a ledger if it becomes a lemon. Google lemon laws for your state, county, or municipality as they all have diff coverages and protections for consumers. You can go to your local auto parts chain stores like Autozone, O'Riles, or Napa and ask for a battery test and they can let you know in an hour if it's a good battery or bad.
Wish you the best

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for taking time out if your day to help me. I really appreciate it. I’ll go to get a battery tomorrow and let you know. Thanks again

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine isn't throwing that many codes, but the gauges went insane, I had a bunch of notifications like service stabilitrak, park to shift, steering... and the codes it said P0700, U0073. The brakes were acting up so I couldn't drive it. It's in the shop right now. I agree with everyone on the battery check...it makes the most sense. I would have it tested because they're expensive. But I'm not a mechanic at all... lol but it was a lot to replace the battery in my car. Anyway, so the mechanic shop are saying electrical related and not my transmission. They've either had no time or it's too hot to work on the car, so I don't have any information beyond that. Good luck with your car. I hope it's as easy as replacing the battery.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,378 Posts

·
Registered
2018 LT 1.5L DI Turbo DOHC 4cyl 6sp Automatic
3 Posts
Mine isn't throwing that many codes, but the gauges went insane, I had a bunch of notifications like service stabilitrak, park to shift, steering... and the codes it said P0700, U0073. The brakes were acting up so I couldn't drive it. It's in the shop right now. I agree with everyone on the battery check...it makes the most sense. I would have it tested because they're expensive. But I'm not a mechanic at all... lol but it was a lot to replace the battery in my car. Anyway, so the mechanic shop are saying electrical related and not my transmission. They've either had no time or it's too hot to work on the car, so I don't have any information beyond that. Good luck with your car. I hope it's as easy as replacing the battery.
Sorry for the late reply; hopefully the shop you took it to checked the battery or swapped one in to test. the backstory on mine; I bought it with 3miles on it but I got it in 2019 December and it sat in the back of the dealer lot for a year. they had to charge the battery, which was flag #1, and then about a week or two later my wife reported having all the gauges go goofy and then when i drove it I saw everything light up and then when i pulled over, it shut off. i had my scanner with me and it spat out dif codes. i got it towed to the dealer and they gave me lip about having to keep it a week because it had Transmission codes, ABS codes, Air bag codes and Cooling codes. they where not gonna charge me to diagnose it but they where charging me per day it was in their shop. Luckily i had the thought to have them check the battery and test the voltage and current and sure enough it was the battery. this is when i remembered a video about how car batteries, if left unstarted for more than 3 or 5 moths, tend to loose charge since the models from 2016 i think have a remote diagnostic system like onstar and its always running even if the car is not used. mine came with Onstar and Wi-Fi that turns on periodically to update. so hopefully my adventure helped you. best of luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts