Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2019 Malibu Premier back in Jan. Love the car so far. However, the insurance rates are crazy.
Anyone know what triggers a higher rate on these cars?

To clarify, the car was quoted before purchase. But it was phrased differently as they combined it with another
vehicle I owned then instead of specifically stating the cost of the Malibu. Have since sold the other vehicle
& the Malibu on its own is almost what the policy would have been combined.

Am not complaining, it is what it is. But am curious what the reasoning is if anyone knows.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,434 Posts
Lots of things go into insurance rates. One thing missing after the sale of your other car is possibly a multi-car discount. Insurance companies also use accident rates, garaged address, theft rates, safety data, depreciation, driver history, in some states credit history etc.

Reactions: T48

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh of course. Admittedly, multi car was a bigger discount than had given it credit previously. But it is not the entire story.

I have had several trucks over the years, half tons, one tons, a sports car thrown in there years ago. All premiums
were around that $350-$400 on their own. Including my last truck, which had a 6.2L. All were nice, well equipped
upper trim levels for their time. This Malibu hovers $600 for the same coverage.

Again, just curious as to what causes the spike in rates if anyone knows or has received a similar ins premium.
Thanks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Per year or 6 months?

Reactions: T48

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Multi car with one driver means each is driven less, cheaper some per car.
As camp said plus where you live. NYC or LA way more than possum butt Idaho.
Some Ins. Co. are overpriced, they have to pay for all those cute commercials, if your driving record is clean go shopping. Bundles with home are another thing to look into. I save a ton on my rec. vehicles being bundled for example.
Driver age and single is another factor also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Per year or 6 months?
6 months.

Multi car with one driver means each is driven less, cheaper some per car.
As camp said plus where you live. NYC or LA way more than possum butt Idaho.
Some Ins. Co. are overpriced, they have to pay for all those cute commercials, if your driving record is clean go shopping. Bundles with home are another thing to look into. I save a ton on my rec. vehicles being bundled for example.
Driver age and single is another factor also.
You are definitely correct. But nothing else has changed as far as address, drivers etc. I did shop one other co yesterday & they were similarly priced. So will wait for Fall when house & car are
due at the same time.

Again, this is all out of curiosity & appreciate the input from everyone. The lesson so far is to always ask what the specific premium of the vehicle you are adding to the policy is.
NOT how much the total will increase at 6 mo intervals.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Does seem high.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't have an issue sharing of my current rate with Farmers (Parents been with them since the beginning of time 40+ years and no plans to switch other companies). Also I have my own separate policy that is not directly tied to my families (although I can drive everyone else's car with no issues if I wanted too) $1,696.60/year $848.30/6 months. The bill Is spit in half $424.15 for one month and the other half the other month. I'm 30yo Male and been driving since I was 18~yo. 2x accidents in the past (prior cars) but rates never went up. My former Kia I used to pay $1,100~ or so per year after I turned 25. It shot back up when I bought my '16 1LT and I knew that since its a new car and etc etc.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
My '16 Equinox costs more than my '17 Continental by $50 per 6 months. '15 Malibu is the same price as the Lincoln.
Adding is always more for the first 6 months, then it drops down some after. At least that's my experience.
State Farm 250/500 full coverage on 4 vehicles, $2400 yr in NJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine has always been the opposite as it is usually a few bucks cheaper initially & they'll edge it up in the following years.
Have been with the same insurance co since '96. When I have shopped around, it is generally a couple dollars difference.
Per the Farmers mention above, they were literally within pennies on my last truck.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,845 Posts
I had State Farm on my current car. One day a couple of Januaries ago, I got an envelope with a notice of a change they had made on both of my the renter's and full-coverage auto policies. They had cancelled the renter's insurance and added a driver by the name of Barbara.

I called the local office and asked who had authorized it and they kinda stumbled around and could only say Barbara. I have no "Barbara" here, so I suggested that they had made a mistake and needed to correct it back to what I had. When the next bill arrived, they had not changed it, so I called the local office again, and again a month later the new bill was still not corrected, including my coverage.

So I called the 1-800 number and they said to contact the local office. I told them that that had proved to be futile and that they needed to get it right. It seemed that that 3rd call worked, that is until the 6-month renewal appeared, on which was the additional driver "Barbara".

I called a local insurance broker and ended up with Safeco for $35 a month less than State Farm. Oh, and "Barbara" was nowhere to be found. ;)

Some time later I was rear-ended by an uninsured young lady who was more concerned with her phone than driving. She struck the car behind me so hard that she hit him twice and never hit the brakes, the second time being what propelled him into me, causing almost $1000 of damage. My insurance took awhile to do it, but they finally coughed up a check for $650. However, on the very night of the collision they sent me to the ER and covered over $5000 in medical at zero cost to me.

In short, I can say that the less obvious providers seem to be able to do well for less money. I'm satisfied, anyhow.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
In the last 25 yr I've had 2 house claims and 2 auto claims w/SF and they have been more than fair on the house and fair on the car claims. Covered everything fantastically. I have not been screwed yet, fingers crossed, and I have multiple polices with them. Local office is key, I have moved my business due to a lousy agent years ago. Money talks and BS walks.....

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I've not had any issues with State Farm either (20 plus years now)...curious as to relationships with insurance offices...mine is local, I know the people there and if I had an issue like DD did, I would be in the office for a correction that day or know the reason why...

many times when you buy insurance you are buying the people in the office...

a friend left State Farm to go with Mutual of Omaha through AARP...she was involved in an accident where the other driver was at fault and had State Farm...(to my surprise) she mostly dealt with the other company, and they really treated her right...my friend then boasted to me how great Mutual of Omaha was when I explained that it was State Farm that treated her well and Mutual of Omaha really did nothing for her (there were several issues along the way that State Farm fixed for her)...she disagreed...maybe it's me that is wrong but I don't think so...

Good luck with yours

Bill

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,921 Posts
Insurance rates don't make a whole lot of sense. When I was car shopping, I did my due diligence and got insurance quotes for both cars I was interested in: the ATS coupe (2.0T) and the SS sedan (V8) that I now own. To my astonishment, the SS was around $100 cheaper annually. Even more strangely, my wife's Cruze hatchback is also slightly more expensive to insure. Both of us are over 30 and have clean driving records. We have Allstate.

Whatever algorithms and statistical calculations go into insurance costs are totally detatched from reality, in my opinion.

I previously had State Farm, and their coverage penalized the hell out of me for getting hit in a parking lot when I wasn't in the car. Their rates were already expensive and climbing for no reason, then my insurance agent tried to convince me to change to a massive $1,000 deductible--mind you I had just gotten hit and had to pay the current deductible--to reduce my annual payments nominally. At that point, I was done with them and gladly jumped ship.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
CP I had someone back into the drivers door on my old 09 while it was parked, SF covered everything and incident occurred when I was out of state. I was inside a diner at the time. I had to pay my deduct. when I put it in the shop but I got reimbursed a few months later.
I believe rates are based on make/model claims.The more of a model involved in accidents the higher the rate is.
That's why my Lincoln is less than the 'nox as way more 'nox's on the road daily than the Lincoln. Lincoln way more expensive than the Equinox but probably in 1/10 of the crashes.
In you case way less SS on the road than the ATS so there is the difference.
Where you live is a big factor also, when I moved to my current home 25 yr ago in the country from a urban area in the same state my car ins. dropped by at least 25%. Buddy of mine in who lives in PA , I'm in NJ, and he's 10 airplane miles away is paying the same a year as me for 2 cars and I at 4 and he has a Honda and Toyota small SUV's. All drivers in both in there '60;s with no tickets.
Ins Co are betting the odds with make, model and drivers in specific areas. City it's car to car, country it's critters and roads causing loses.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,921 Posts
@repairman54 I'm sure accident rates factor into it, but I doubt they're based on total accidents so much as accidents per-owner. Otherwise any rare car would be cheaper to insure than common vehicles. I would expect your Lincoln to be cheap to insure because the owner demographic is--no offense--slow and careful driving old people.

Maybe my SS is part of a dataset of low-risk owners because of its niche appeal to mature enthusiasts. It's just hard to believe seeing the sorts of high horsepower builds and general shenanigans on the SS forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Purchased a 2019 Malibu Premier back in Jan. Love the car so far. However, the insurance rates are crazy.
Anyone know what triggers a higher rate on these cars?

To clarify, the car was quoted before purchase. But it was phrased differently as they combined it with another
vehicle I owned then instead of specifically stating the cost of the Malibu. Have since sold the other vehicle
& the Malibu on its own is almost what the policy would have been combined.

Am not complaining, it is what it is. But am curious what the reasoning is if anyone knows.
I would complain T48. You have every right to. The same thing happened to me years ago until I showed Geico the err of their ways. They had all the wrong info on me and family. Another thing thats burns my wallet is if you watch TV at all, you have to notice the number of car insurance commercials on every channel. As I told the Lib Mutual guy when he asked me why I was leaving, I told him about his rates and asked why they showed so, so, so many commercials on TV. People were not watching these commercials and switching to other insurance companies because of their clever commercial. These commercials cost money to make and pay the channels to show. Where do they get the money - that's right - YOU - when you bought your Chevrolet. Things do cost money but since we are obligated by law to have insurance, I would think the state politicians should step in and take a good hard look at these insurance companies and the rates they charge so they can put an inordinate amount of commercials on television and radio. This rant is about the rates you and I pay these companies and we have to do it or else we don't drive. That is not American nor is it fair. Be safe and enjoy the car, I'm sure it's great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts