Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone in the near future plan on upgrading anything on thier RS? I'll have the means to play around with this RS an was thinking of putting a bigger intake on it an making it a fun little sleeper. I'm also curious as to how these CVT transmissions will hold up I'll keep people posted any insight is much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,488 Posts
The 1.5T/CVT has a locked PCM, no mods currently available. The 2.0T is the engine you want for a sleeper anyway, it comes with a robust 9-speed transmission as well. CVTs are not a transmission I would add power to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone in the near future plan on upgrading anything on thier RS? I'll have the means to play around with this RS an was thinking of putting a bigger intake on it an making it a fun little sleeper. I'm also curious as to how these CVT transmissions will hold up I'll keep people posted any insight is much appreciated. View attachment 67253
What %tint do you have ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was about to say... I’d love to drop that 2.0T & 9-speed in mine! I’ve had a CVT before in an Altima. Definitely wish they wouldn’t have put them in the RS. That’s pretty much the only con with mine. I just hope it doesn’t give me issues.

I did some modifications as far as appearance/upgrades since engine mods weren’t really an option — black “Malibu” emblems, leather heated seats, & sound system upgrade + 12” sub. I also have 20% tint & 45% tint on front windshield. May possibly upgrade wheels...

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,453 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the CVT. So far they are proving much less problematic than the 9-speed's first couple years. 9 months into the CVT I don't believe I have read of a single critical failure. 9 months into the 9-speed we had a dozen reports of failure requiring tow away.

Reactions: ashelly_19MalibuRS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone in the near future plan on upgrading anything on thier RS? I'll have the means to play around with this RS an was thinking of putting a bigger turbo on it an making it a fun little sleeper. I'm also curious as to how these CVT transmissions will hold up I'll keep people posted any insight is much appreciated. View attachment 67253
Added a AEM Cold air intake to mine and it’s definitely a little more robust and has a nice sound to it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts