Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 Malibu 20T premier. In the process of wiring in a dash cam and a radar detector I seem to have messed something up. I now have warning lights for the ABS and stabilatrack systems are on. It's a Rexing V5 camera with the hardwire kit.

The camera requires 2 power wires . One for the camera (switched) and one for the parking monitor (always on). I found two empty slots in the fuse box that seemed to fit the requirements and used those slots. I have disconnected the camera but the lights are still on.

The car runs and drives fine but I have no idea whether these systems are functioning or not. Nothing else seems to be affected.

We are supposed to go on vacation next week but I won't use the car without these systems working and I know that my dealer will not cover this on the warranty.

Any ideas. PLEASE!!!!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,430 Posts
Step 1: Get a full scan to see what all the computer is saying, if anything. Not just the P codes, but also the B, C, and U codes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hoping disconnecting the battery will clear the problem but I'm taking it to a mechanic tomorrow. I already screwed it up enough. But I can't decide how. The slots I used in the fuse block were vacant. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Step 1: Get a full scan to see what all the computer is saying, if anything. Not just the P codes, but also the B, C, and U codes.
I found two codes. U0140-00. BCM is not receiving or transmitting messages on the can bus. C0040-18, Right front wheel speed sensor. Signal amplitude below minimum.
Question is, did any of this have anything to do with hooking my camera up to empty slots in the fuse block?

·
Administrator
19,430 Posts
Take a picture of the fuse box and circle or point to the places that you inserted the new fuses. I think our members will have more to go on that way. Thank you!

·
Administrator
19,430 Posts
With each one having only 1 powered leg, I would hazard a guess that you didn't upset any other delicate circuits, but that's just a theory on my part.

Those codes seem to be related to a system that could cause the messages you see. Fix those and you'll probably be right as rain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With each one having only 1 powered leg, I would hazard a guess that you didn't upset any other delicate circuits, but that's just a theory on my part.

Those codes seem to be related to a system that could cause the messages you see. Fix those and you'll probably be right as rain.
Thanks for your help. It seems this is an extremely common problem with Chevrolet and difficult to fix. I haven't had the car long and bought it from what used to be a reputable dealer. After the sale they have been as dishonest as can be. I really made a mistake with this car. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,221 Posts
All of gen9 has trended unfriendly to electrical mods. Usually the 2.0 cars fair a bit better as they lack auto stop complication but doesn't seem the case here.

Now that the camera is disconnected and box returned to normal, did you try using a scanner to clear the codes manually to see if they return? I see a battery disconnect mentioned but not an actual code clear.

If the codes can clear and not come back you could retry using this guide HERE. It worked for the author and a couple others and is the same general vehicle config as you have. If the codes return they might be unrelated and require diagnosis and repair.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All of gen9 has trended unfriendly to electrical mods. Usually the 2.0 cars fair a bit better as they lack auto stop complication but doesn't seem the case here.

Now that the camera is disconnected and box returned to normal, did you try using a scanner to clear the codes manually to see if they return? I see a battery disconnect mentioned but not an actual code clear.

If the codes can clear and not come back you could retry using this guide HERE. It worked for the author and a couple others and is the same general vehicle config as you have. If the codes return they might be unrelated and require diagnosis and repair.
I have not tried to clear the codes with my scanner. I have been driving the car more (I don't get out much) and the problem is erratic. Sometimes the lights come on and sometimes not. Sometimes they come on and off on a short trip. This is leading me to believe there may be a loose wire at the right front sensor.

I read the link you provide and wired the camera in using the recommended spot on the block for the main power and an open slot one row up with only one contact leg in the slot for the parking mode power. After hours of research I'm having trouble seeing how my wiring could cause another system failure. But then I'm no genius when it comes to GM products. I've always been a ford guy and they are very forgiving to mods.

Thanks for your reply it is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
How long did you own this car before adding the dash cam? Was this new or used and was it bought at a GM dealer?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How long did you own this car before adding the dash cam? Was this new or used and was it bought at a GM dealer?
I bought the car used in March and installed the camera a little over a week ago. It was purchased from a GM dealer which has probably the worst service dept. there is. It currently has 31600 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
Ok. So the preowned car went about 3 months problem-free before the attempt to install the camera. Common sense says the two are related. However, something about the timing of this 2020 car - first available August 2019 - being available for resale in March 2021 seems odd. Maybe a lease pull ahead, but odd. I am guessing your dealer knew about the mod attempt and denied fixing it. I'd take it to a different GM dealer and give them a try. Hopefully there is another close.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok. So the preowned car went about 3 months problem-free before the attempt to install the camera. Common sense says the two are related. However, something about the timing of this 2020 car - first available August 2019 - being available for resale in March 2021 seems odd. Maybe a lease pull ahead, but odd. I am guessing your dealer knew about the mod attempt and denied fixing it. I'd take it to a different GM dealer and give them a try. Hopefully there is another close.
The car may have been a rental car. Looking at the fuse box many of the empty fuse slots have only one fuse leg connection point. Would this not indicate that the slot does not protect anything? If not then how would it affect any other circuit in the car? That is the burning question. The car has not been to the dealer for this issue. I don't trust them. Monday it goes to an independent mechanic for his assessment. If I broke it and it's outside warranty then I'll pay for it to be fixed. I'm just trying to understand if I messed it up or not. It's acting like a loose connection in the right front wheel. I don't know. But right now in my mind the car is unsafe to drive. I really appreciate your input. This is a great forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Regarding the timing of the sale of the car. I pulled a Carfax report and the car was originally sold to Enterprise rental car. That would explain the timing. Rental company's generally sell their cars in the area of between 30 and 50000 miles. I don't know if that makes any difference or not but I figured I would throw that out there.

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
You probably have a coincidental issue with the wheel sensor.
None working ABS is only dangerous for a very unskilled driver as long as standard brakes are working drive it. We didn't have ABS for decades and got along just fine.
First item in the service manual diagnostics of GM vehicles is are there any aftermarket accessories installed and if so remove them. Aftermarket electronics can and will introduce ''noise'' into the CAN system disrupting intervehicle communications between the many interlinked modules. For example my Tahoe has 41 readable modules in it's CAN system and it's an '11 . I haven't connected to a newer 'bu but I'll bet the module count is up to at least 35 in them now.
Empty slots are there for higher model feature build and installation. One fuse box fits many higher trim levels, a lot more features / accessories in a Premier vs a LS and a fuse box may be used across other model lines also.

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
Regarding the timing of the sale of the car. I pulled a Carfax report and the car was originally sold to Enterprise rental car. That would explain the timing. Rental company's generally sell their cars in the area of between 30 and 50000 miles. I don't know if that makes any difference or not but I figured I would throw that out there.
I bought my '16 Equinox in the spring of '16 with 12k miles on it. Chevy Certified vehicle. It was a Avis rental after doing research. It's now at 80k miles and no issues.
In my case those miles in that short of time means highway mileage which is low impact vs city driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You probably have a coincidental issue with the wheel sensor.
None working ABS is only dangerous for a very unskilled driver as long as standard brakes are working drive it. We didn't have ABS for decades and got along just fine.
First item in the service manual diagnostics of GM vehicles is are there any aftermarket accessories installed and if so remove them. Aftermarket electronics can and will introduce ''noise'' into the CAN system disrupting intervehicle communications between the many interlinked modules. For example my Tahoe has 41 readable modules in it's CAN system and it's an '11 . I haven't connected to a newer 'bu but I'll bet the module count is up to at least 35 in them now.
Empty slots are there for higher model feature build and installation. One fuse box fits many higher trim levels, a lot more features / accessories in a Premier vs a LS and a fuse box may be used across other model lines also.
I'm 65 years old and drove emergency vehicles for my entire career. Most of which had no ABS system in them. So you make perfect sense. So if I am understanding you correctly. The camera and radar detector should not be used in the car and the problem with the warning lights is a coincidence in timing. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu Premier
22 Posts
I'm 65 years old and drove emergency vehicles for my entire career. Most of which had no ABS system in them. So you make perfect sense. So if I am understanding you correctly. The camera and radar detector should not be used in the car and the problem with the warning lights is a coincidence in timing. Thank you for your input.
I wired up a dashcam in mine, connected to the fusebox and had no issues. My post with pictures is here: How to install & power a dash cam, 12v switched...

It could be that your particular dashcam generates noise that interferes with canbus communication? How did you ground it, noise is common with bad grounds.

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
Don't use the crummy guide in post 19, use the much better guide posted a week ago in post 9.

• Haha
Reactions: DrivenDaily
1 - 20 of 21 Posts